From the Tasmanian Advocate

Remove this Banner Ad

Date published: Monday, November 18, 2002.
Author: Mark Williams.

Saints kick some goals
AFL club St Kilda didn't kick too many goals on the field last season, but a group of players, coaches and officials booted plenty in Tasmania at the weekend.

St Kilda sent representatives to the State as part of a promotional trip and membership drive to drum up support. More than 350 people became 2003 St Kilda members in Launceston on Saturday afternoon and 30 more signed on in Burnie on Saturday night. At Spreyton's Maidstone Park yesterday, more than 100 signed up, but it was on the trip from Launceston to Devonport that a sure sign of rekindled St Kilda passion emerged.

``We stopped with a group of the players at the Elizabeth Town pub,'' membership manager Georgie Fidge said. ``While the players were taking a comfort break, we signed up 16 members in 10 minutes in the main bar. ``It was unbelievable.''

At Spreyton, dual Brownlow medallist Robert Harvey, former captain Nathan Burke, Aaron Hamill, Lenny Hayes and assistant coach Dean Wallis won over all and sundry with smiling faces, handshakes and a mini-clinic.

``We have had a great few days down here in Tassie,'' Harvey said. ``We have a lot of supporters down here and a part of this trip was a way of trying to convert them into members as well.''

While Harvey and the crew enjoyed the carnival atmosphere, when talk turned to playing at York Park on came their football faces. ``We are all looking forward to playing at York Park next year as it looks a fantastic place to play footy,'' Harvey said. ``I'm over my knee and shoulder injuries and am feeling fit and cannot wait to play again.''

While the Saints outfit answered questions and gave out autographs, Burke sent out a signal to the faithful more prosperity was on the way for the team that has not tasted premiership success since the heady Darrel Baldock days of 1966.

``We have taken great strides off the field and are in the process of doing the same on field,'' he said. ``Grant Thomas (coach) has developed a strong list and the inclusions of players like (former King Islander) Barry Brooks will be a bonus for us in the coming seasons.''

Wouldn't hurt to put that on the main board.

Originally posted by Falchoon

Go on, I love 'em

Falchoon likes rising to the challenge.

He is one of many of our "second tier" players that rise when he is needed to help the club win its fiercest challenges.

A chance for the BigFooty Saints B&F.

Originally posted by Savatage

Falchoon likes rising to the challenge.

He is one of many of our "second tier" players that rise when he is needed to help the club win its fiercest challenges.

A chance for the BigFooty Saints B&F.

Call me Stevie Lawrence ;)

Originally posted by Fred
Wouldn't hurt to put that on the main board.

Why not? We'll undoubtedly get picked on, but hey, we can dish it back. We'll be the ones laughing next season when we rise up the ladder.

I saw a similar article in the Hobart Mercury last week. Well done Saints, good to see the 'ol Burnie Advocate get a mention.

For those of you that watched the Australia A side V England, what did you think of Bellerieve? There is a big push down there to get more AFL games in Hobart. It could be a good second (or third with York Park) home for you guys.

With the work that yourselves and Hawthorn are doing in Tassie has your club asked the AFL about making Tassie your recruiting zone and having first pick of the best Tassie players.? I know the Mariners are now defuct but the Devils are still there - and we've been producing great talent well before those two clubs came along.

Jerome

Bellerive doesn't look too bad. The new stand looks like it could hold a decent amount, the facilities seem alright and the turf is great. However, York Park is said to be fantastic. There is also that whole North vs South thing, which could result in a problem. Apparently it is the Tassie government's responsibility to push for games in Hobart. The Saints only go with what the AFL approves. Maybe in the future, games could be shared between the two venues. It is also great to see Tasmanians showing their support for the Saints.

Dunno about the recruiting idea. Haven't heard any such proposals, but I suppose it's worth looking at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the ideal situation would be to take advantage of the North/South rivalry by having one Hobart team and one Launceston team for the two games each per year.
They could even have a guaranteed two home games each per year plus a Hawthorn/St Kilda game rotating annually between the two. It's about time the Tasmanians were included.

The choice between the two should depend on where I'd most like to spend a long weekend ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back