Prediction Future best 22, who makes the cut....

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist:

13. Jack Lonie - Link
19. Sam Gilbert (UFA)
22. Nathan J. Brown
34. Nathan Wright
39. Darragh Joyce
40. Ray Connellan
41. Darren Minchington
42. Lewis Pierce
46. Doulton Langlands

We've basically got 1 draft pick. So that's 1/9 replaced. 2 fringe/delisted mids from other clubs. 3/9. Then basically bring in 4-5 hard running 22 year old spuds from the lower leagues + a cheeky goal sneak or two. Hope 2-3 of those come on.

Benefits wouldn't be just the possible game day additions, but having our players train with and against similar hard running players to which they get annihilated by on game day.

Honestly reckon one of our biggest problems is that we can't condition ourselves to play certain teams, as their list make-up is something we don't even encounter at training. Billings brushing off Lonie time and time again, isn't really prepping him for the big stage.

Not if we use the system pick up young guys been in system offer them opportunity & $

Connor Menadue

Willem Drew

Their not spuds .

Last edited:
Remember we can trade in draft picks this year for future draft picks. We just have to be judicious.

It's obvious we are going to go after big fish this off-season. The question is can we achieve a critical mass to get more than one at once. In 2000 we got Hamill and Gehrig. Can we get Gaff and Sloane? Is Sloane going to be worth it as a 29 year old with a navicular injury? Is it De Goey instead?

Remember we can trade in draft picks this year for future draft picks. We just have to be judicious.

It's obvious we are going to go after big fish this off-season. The question is can we achieve a critical mass to get more than one at once. In 2000 we got Hamill and Gehrig. Can we get Gaff and Sloane? Is Sloane going to be worth it as a 29 year old with a navicular injury? Is it De Goey instead?
Can't we go hard at all 3? JDG is OOC, if we wants out the Filth have to suck it up and take what's on offer. Take the $ off Billings

Can be achieved if we finish last .
Just need a yes from 2 genuine A graders .

JDG is also not a free agent. Without using the pre-season draft, he would cost us something via a trade. But that can be a future first if Collingwood are willing to take it.

I think Gaff is coming and have done for some time. I like that we waited, although we may be paying for it with results right now. But he's incredibly reliable and consistent. We do need an inside beast and a fit Sloane would be that guy, and he would also walk straight into the club captaincy. But if his foot is not getting better, we need to avoid.

I think we will delist Lonie, Wright and Minchington plus one of Gilbert or Brown (but not both). So that is 4 from the main list.

Joyce, Connellan and Pierce are all rookies and i think they might all be delisted. I can't see Langlands getting delisted after only being on our list for one year and not really getting a chance to get on the park (glandular fever).

I think Marshal will be upgraded to the main list so that is 1/4. We will take our first rounder to the draft so that is 2/4. Hopefully Sloane or Gaff so that is 3/4 (maybe even both). Plus I can see us trading out a player so as to get a late second to also take to the draft.

We might then take a couple of rookies in the rookie draft (preferably mature age but who knows).

Firstly, who is out of contract?

10. Nathan Freeman - Link
13. Jack Lonie - Link
18. Billy Longer - Link
19. Sam Gilbert (UFA) - Link
22. Nathan J. Brown - Link
23. Hugh Goddard - Link
24. Logan Austin - Link
30. Ed Phillips - Link
34. Nathan Wright - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
40. Ray Connellan - Link
41. Darren Minchington - Link
42. Lewis Pierce - Link
44. Maverick Weller - Link
46. Doulton Langlands (CAT A) - Link

Just looking at this one would think there will be a massive upheaval of the list at the end of this year. The only person on that list who I would consider completely safe is Ed Phillips. Brown and Weller are the only other two who played for St Kilda last weekend. We could end up delisting 8 or 9 guys without really being ruthless (just for fun: Lonie, Longer, Gilbert, Goddard, Wright, Joyce, Connellan, Minchington & Pierce).
Struggle to believe Logan Austin broke a contract at Port Adelaide to move interstate on a one year deal.

I'd imagine that it would of been a few years.

Rice/Newnes, Austin/Clavarino, Webster
Coffield, Carlisle, Newnes/White
Philips* Ross Sinclair
Billings Battle Gresham
Long Bruce Membrey
Marshall Steven Steele
Dunstan Clark Acres 2018 1st rounder

Key needs *: I've put in Phillips, but we just desperately need a good runner/outside type - could come from Phillips, Langlands, Paton, Connellan, but in all honesty I'm hoping it comes via Gaff. (not the thread for it but Phillips is no world beater and his debut just shows how unbalanced our 22 has been)

Mix up needs: An additional speedy/tricky small/half forward option if we want to go with just 2 marking targets - unless Connellan comes off (unlikely) we still need to find.....Hall? Dahlaus? would be good immediate options (especially as Battle is a hopeful punt at this stage) while we wait for future draft picks to come off

I know Hickey is getting a rosy glow for not being Longer, but in my mind our clearances have dropped off since he's come back into the lineup - yes, Marshall is another hopeful punt at this stage, but otherwise it's a big ?

Surely our recruitment team will manage to get a FB out of Austin, Clavarino or Goddard - if we want to speed it up McGovern would be great and not completely unrealistic if we package with Gaff/play the system.

I think you need to forget about 2018 Newnes, he's obviously not fit - he was going in for spoils without extending his arms the other week - crazy that he's lining up in my view. If I'm wrong Rice and White are decent chances to fill his role adequately and surely one of the two will come off to play alongside him.

I've taken a bleak view on Robbo and Paddy - both from an injury point of view and in Paddy's case just not fitting athletic requirements

Sloane isn't a need positionally long term, but in terms of experience and leadership he would be great and have an immediate impact so I'd be happy to spend big $ on him

Righto, the future as I see it.... 2019 best 22

Webster Austin Rice
Robo Carslile White
philips Steele Coff
Billings Bruce/Battle Membry
Rankin McCartin Long

Hickey Steven Gresh

Clark Acres Sincs Dunstan

Potential small forward line of....

Billings Membrey Long
Gresh Acres Rankin

Last edited:
The only out of contract players with any currency (AFAIAC) would be Goddard and Longer. Goddard due to his age and size, Longer due to his previous performance.
Surely gws would entertain longer they can cover him with there skill on the outside. He would suit them more than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s already got homesick once. I doubt he’ll leave Victoria

If he's guaranteed a game there and he isn't getting one with us you'd think he'd go. On the other hand, the Cats have taken a ruck off our hands for a very nice pick previously and they might also be looking.

Round one 2019

Geary - Austin - Webster
Savage - Carlisle - Roberton
Rankine - Sloane - Coffield
Acres - Membrey - Billings
Long - McCartin - Gresham

Hickey - Ross - Steven

Clark, Dunstan, Sinclair, Phillips
Rice > Geary
White > Savage

Here is my view of the best 22 and what we need to add to the list over the break to build towards a balanced 22 assuming all fit.
I have selected for good foot skills, a 3 tall forward line (as that's what I think is best), 2 pressure smalls. Billings is moved to the wing because that's where his skills are best suited for balance. I'm hoping Freeman comes on to take the last bench spot.

FB: Webster Austin Rice
HB: White Carlisle Robo
C: Coff ......... Billings
HF: Membrey Battle Gresh (resting mid)
FF: Long McCartin ........

Foll: ......... Steven Clark

Sinc Acres Ross .......

Coach: ..........

Sooooooo....... We are pretty young, but to me we have some glaring holes.

Contested Pig: Someone who can constantly feed our inside/outside and outside mids.
Could Acres be developed into that player?

Small Forward: A partner to Long and Gresh while he is down there. I think we need 3 dangerous smalls in our forward line, at least two of them need to be quick. This is why i'm on the Rankin train come draft time.

Ruck: Probably a bit harsh on Hickey who has been good and the lease of our concerns as a list need. I really do think Marshal can develop into this player or even Pierce.

I like Dunstan and Steele, but they aren't doing enough right now.

To fill the holes we have pick 3...... I can't see a free agent coming to us.

upload_2018-6-10_13-20-39.png

Offer those guys for trade, hopefully stack the picks. Draft two stars, one FA star, one traded star. A few more Robertons/Membreys/Austins who cost nothing. Aim to bring in six quality footballers this off season. Send off the older guys who have had their chances, just keeping our kids out of the team. Play Pierce for a few when he returns.

if we're gonna go with a young midfield (here's hoping), I prefer we do it right

steele aint up to it yet, needs to improve his ball winning ability and spread

prefer we go with a centre square group of,

Hunter, Coff, Steven, Gresh, Sinclair

Why?

Hunter is a natural, doesn't look it but has more toe than steele, a much better kick and very clean hands off the deck. Very strong for his current body shape. Only had the one post draft preseason, big ceiling.

Coff, composure, toe, great kick, sees a bit of daylight and he's away, tall and strong, leader. Just play him in the middle, he's talented and that's where we need him to develop

Steven is steven

gresh, as evident this year, his midfield minutes have increased as his fitness has improved. Dynamic, explosive, ball winner, decent decision maker, good enough kick. Gets it and goes. X factor

Sinclair is on the cusp, but I think his step and agility puts him in the mix. Clean hands, good kick/decision maker.

It's a pretty small midfield group but size is not everything, last night it was gresh that was knocking in and hitting bodies. His tackling was tough and hard and he can with a contested ball. Steele is bigger, gresh is better. Hunter is strong and will be a better contested ball winner than ross very soon, hard to tackle too. Coff is 190 and strong. Sinclair the weakest link in regards to contest but can fit in if the balance is right,

Ruck, Steven, Coff, Hunter

or

Ruck, Steven, Hunter, Gresh

or

Ruck, Hunter, Coff, Sincs

Ross is a good link man but shouldn't be in the centre bounces, we need to get this show on the road and let these players learn the position

Here is my view of the best 22 and what we need to add to the list over the break to build towards a balanced 22 assuming all fit.
I have selected for good foot skills, a 3 tall forward line (as that's what I think is best), 2 pressure smalls. Billings is moved to the wing because that's where his skills are best suited for balance. I'm hoping Freeman comes on to take the last bench spot.

FB: Webster Austin Rice
HB: White Carlisle Robo
C: Coff ......... Billings
HF: Membrey Battle Gresh (resting mid)
FF: Long McCartin ........

Foll: ......... Steven Clark

Sinc Acres Ross .......

Coach: ..........

Sooooooo....... We are pretty young, but to me we have some glaring holes.

Contested Pig: Someone who can constantly feed our inside/outside and outside mids.
Could Acres be developed into that player?

Small Forward: A partner to Long and Gresh while he is down there. I think we need 3 dangerous smalls in our forward line, at least two of them need to be quick. This is why i'm on the Rankin train come draft time.

Ruck: Probably a bit harsh on Hickey who has been good and the lease of our concerns as a list need. I really do think Marshal can develop into this player or even Pierce.

I like Dunstan and Steele, but they aren't doing enough right now.

To fill the holes we have pick 3...... I can't see a free agent coming to us.
I think if you give Steele the role then you'll get enough of a contested pig to knock it down our priority list.

Clark isn't ready to be full time on the ball - I see him as an answer on the wing. Billings is HFF in my book as well. Has Rice shown enough....maybe, and we have Geary until we need to rely on him 100%. I still see Newnes as an answer to that role long term as well.

I agree we need to develop Marshall for this role and Hickey is poor as a starting ruck, but we just need to plan for that at stoppages. Our mids are more suited to a defensive stoppage plan anyway....

I'm not as sold on White as you are - he could develop, but jury is still out for me regardless of his great kick.

Phillips makes my 22 providing he can play a defensive forward role - never seen him do it but seems to have the ability (lack of scoring creativity the biggest ?). Speed on the forward flanks the biggest need as I see it - there look to be options for that in the draft, but are they best available at pick 3 this year?

FB: Geary/Rice Austin/Clavarino Webster
HB: Roberton Carlisle Coffield
C: Clark Ross Sinclair
HF: Billings Battle Gresham
FF: Membrey McCartin Long
Fol: Hickey/Marshall Steele Steven
I/C: Dunstan Acres Newnes Phillips

Shuffling the mids next year for an addition of Sloane would help and with the addition of speed on the outside in the draft it would feel like a young but pretty balanced 22 next year. Ross to a wing, Clark taking Newnes' spot covering HB/Wing from the bench. Rankine/Hill consigning Phillips to depth. If we're aiming for Walsh in the draft (which I think is more likely on a best available basis) we will need a free agent or trade to improve on Phillips.

I still see Dahlaus as a good option for this in the short term and would only cost cash.

I think we will delist Lonie, Wright and Minchington plus one of Gilbert or Brown (but not both). So that is 4 from the main list.

Joyce, Connellan and Pierce are all rookies and i think they might all be delisted. I can't see Langlands getting delisted after only being on our list for one year and not really getting a chance to get on the park (glandular fever).

I think Marshal will be upgraded to the main list so that is 1/4. We will take our first rounder to the draft so that is 2/4. Hopefully Sloane or Gaff so that is 3/4 (maybe even both). Plus I can see us trading out a player so as to get a late second to also take to the draft.

We might then take a couple of rookies in the rookie draft (preferably mature age but who knows).
So you have delisted 7 players , we cant delist 7 with our shitty picks , i think we will keep the three Rookies as two have been close to getting a game and the other is having his best season as No 1 ruck , your other suggestions seem pretty much on the money IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back