Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if the club doesn't already know what Josh wants to do TBH. They'll know his feelings. We've no doubt been wanting to extend him since we drafted him and he hasn't put pen to paper. It does look grim but what will be will be.

We have to start to moving up the ladder and our first and second round draft picks in the past haven't been much help. We should move to be more aggressive. Schache doesn't want to sign for $600,000/yr put that money out there for someone who will do it on a 4-5 year contract instead of getting pick 8 in the draft who leaves after 2 years and we get pick 22 for him and stay at the bottom of the ladder. Even if that player is only a B grader we at least get 80-100 games out of him, start to move up the ladder and hopefully we start to get some more local talent and improve our reputation.
The unfortunate reality is that the players we're likely to get will be more in the Bastinac/Bell/Walker mould.

People just need to stop worrying. Come what may.

We needn't look further than Sam Mayes, who everyone was certain was leaving.

Honestly lets just not worry about it and focus on the team playing the best footy they can.

If schache stays he stays if he goes he goes I hope we look at the talent we have in hipwood and direct our attention to the guys that want to be here, stay here and grow here( that doesn't mean I think schache is gone) I just hope we don't sacrifice our future/ culture to keep people who don't want to be here by over paying. I don't truely believe we will ever be out of the woods ( in regards to player retention ) until the AFL make changes to allow teams to trade a player to any team especially for young talent. Essentially we have to forms of free agency the trade period and FREE AGENCY.

No signature by round 20, and I'll be concerned. Having said that, I reckon he'll sign later rather than sooner. Given the state of flux the club has been in, plus him himself being young and still learning the ropes, who can blame him for wanting to just focus on his football week to week, and turn his thoughts to the contract when the time is necessary. To be fair, I'd prefer that in a young player still developing and finding his feet. Concentrate 100% on his footy and stuff the bloody contract until it's later in the season and it's nearing time to sign.

I'd have no qualms giving him 800k (or more) a year if he shows promise/continued development this season and it's what is needed to keep him. Happy to pay more than "market value" (a completely indeterminable figure anyways) in order to keep the list and the club stable.

The fallout as I mentioned in an earlier post would be immense and not something desirable for the club to go through. Probably avoid that at all costs. If he will stay, find his price and meet it.

My only caveat would be the possible scenario a year or two down the track when Hipwood, Andrews or some others may have now developed into superstars of the game, and may want large contracts on a similar level or more to Schaches. Probably cross that bridge when we come to it as none of us has a crystal ball.

Find it hard to believe that a player can fully concentrate on their footy when their is constant speculation about their future. I don't think he's holding out for more money, the club will compensate him very well, think he is genuinely undecided about what he wants to do.

Let's keep in mind we have a new list manager who has only just got his feet under the desk, as well as a pretty new footy manager as well who is still developing his list strategy too.

Surprised to see there is this many posts on the topic. Adelaide football royalty has made everyone nervous. Never met the guy, but he doesn't come across as someone that will jump between clubs for $. If we are still having s**t seasons in a couple of years...then we'll lose a bunch of good players again.

I will be surprised if Schache doesn't sign a 3 year contract with us.

Surprised to see there is this many posts on the topic. Adelaide football royalty has made everyone nervous. Never met the guy, but he doesn't come across as someone that will jump between clubs for $. If we are still having s**t seasons in a couple of years...then we'll lose a bunch of good players again.

I will be surprised if Schache doesn't sign a 3 year contract with us.

On the plus side, you've probably still got the one free name change! ;)

I'm actually not saying that players drafted down the draft are more likely to stay.

Perpetuating a cycle of mediocrity at this point may well be the only way the club can survive. If Schache leaves it adds another 2 years to the rebuild. Just not sustainable for much longer.

Bear in mind if we keep losing top draft picks we are perpetuating a cycle of s**t results that just cannot go on.

So then you have a situation (theoretically) where you're drafting in an experienced player each year but still losing the kids drafted from pick 11+. So you're still going to be pretty shite. Implementing a blanket, no picks within the top 10 policy...achieves little and likely solves nothing.

If the shack hasn't signed by the bye, I'll probably not give it too much thought, then I'll come on here for chuckles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think we are jumping at shadows here, it is merely a MSM generated perception that we are leaking top end talent IMO. since the go home 5 we have barely lost any young players, in fact considering the unpopularity of our previous coach and our performances on the field since the GH5 we have done remarkably well with retention of draftees.
Whilst not disagreeing with you in terms of our overall retention rate since then I think what a lot of people are arguing is in regards to our high first round picks.

Since the 'go home 5' we drafted Aish at the end of that year. Say what you like about him he was still a top 10 pick and chose to leave after 2 years.

In 2014 we gave up our first round pick for Beams so therefore didn't take any first round picks to the draft.

In 2015 we drafted the 'messiah', the guy who would never leave because of his so called affiliation with our club even though in reality the media beat that up for all it's worth. From the moment he walked in the door he had a contract in front of his nose ready to sign. Nothing yet. I guess that's reason for concern.

In 2016, McCluggage, the consensus number 1 pick fell into our lap. No contract signature yet but it's so early at this stage shouldn't be concerned obviously.

I dunno about the others arguing to change our recruitment strategy but for me I know I find it very hard to get to attached to the draftees these days especially to the top level kids because deep down and I'm sure if we were all being honest, the moment those top kids are drafted who doesn't quietly think to themselves 'ok cool, that's good but is this guy going to still be here in 2 years?'.

Sad reality I guess for Lions fans.

Last edited:
Whilst not disagreeing with you in terms of our overall retention rate since then I think what a lot of people are arguing is in regards to our high first round picks.

Since the 'go home 5' we drafted Aish at the end of that year. Say what you like about him he was still a top 10 pick and chose to leave after 2 years.

In 2014 we gave up our first round pick for Beams so therefore didn't take any first round kids that probably start getting offers the moment we call their names.

In 2015 we drafted the 'messiah', the guy who would never leave because of his so called affiliation with our club even though in reality the media beat that up for all it's worth. From the moment he walked in the door he had a contract in front of his nose ready to sign. Nothing yet. I guess that's reason for concern.

In 2016, McCluggage, the consensus number 1 pick fell into our lap. No contract signature yet but it's so early at this stage shouldn't be concerned obviously.

I dunno about the others arguing to change our recruitment strategy but for me I know I find it very hard to get to attached to the draftees these days especially to the top level kids because deep down and I'm sure if we were all being honest, the moment those top kids are drafted who doesn't quietly think to themselves 'ok cool, that's good but is this guy going to still be here in 2 years?'.

Sad reality I guess for Lions fans.
so in reality we have lost one (Aish) top 10 draft pick since the GH5. you would think Schache and McCluggage are going to be seriously better than Aish. IMO they will both stay although i am with you i do not get attached to players, it's all about the club as a whole.

so in reality we have lost one (Aish) top 10 draft pick since the GH5. you would think Schache and McCluggage are going to be seriously better than Aish. IMO they will both stay although i am with you i do not get attached to players, it's all about the club as a whole.
That is correct mate in regards to Aish. What is also correct is Aish is the only top 10 pick we've had since the GH5 who has been up for a contract renewal.

Schache being the next one this year. McCluggage next year.

If we can get them signed, sealed and delivered then yeah sure we may all be able to start celebrating that maybe we've turned a corner in regards to our retention of TOP end talent.

Until such time the jury is out IMO.

That is correct mate in regards to Aish. What is also correct is Aish is the only top 10 pick we've had since the GH5 who has been up for a contract renewal.

Schache being the next one this year. McCluggage next year.

If we can get them signed, sealed and delivered then yeah sure we may all be able to start celebrating that maybe we've turned a corner in regards to our retention of TOP end talent.

Until such time the jury is out IMO.
understandable to a certain extent i suppose, but i still think we're getting worried/being negative prematurely.
keep-calm-and-hakuna-matata.jpg

On the plus side, you've probably still got the one free name change! ;)

Never looked into a name change, but this one is well and truely broken.

Just FYI, it's started out as one of my AFL Fantasy teams a few year back, this year I went with Hippy Hippy Schaches, and in Dream Team I got stuck with just McCluggage.

Yep, pretty much doomed the whole club naming those three .....

Let's keep in mind we have a new list manager who has only just got his feet under the desk, as well as a pretty new footy manager as well who is still developing his list strategy too.

I like our new Footy manager but calling him pretty is a bit of a stretch:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back