Game Day Game Day - AFLM Round 4 - Freo (5th) vs GWS (13th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiiii.gif

So I promised Tonga Bob that I'd look after the first preview that didn't have an author. Here I was thinking that I have a few more weeks. Thanks everyone for stepping up. Really.
Why.gif
So, we all remember what happened last time we played the Giants at home, right? I do. It was a thing of beauty. Our mids with he-who-shall-not-ne-named carving up the Giants through the middle. Our forwards missing simple shots at goal. When hope was still something we all had, as opposed to this feeling of impending doom that exists since that Saints game.

Doom Song.gif
1649139224598.png
11 goals. 21 ******* BEHINDS! Not that GWS were much better, but hoo-boy. At least we are consistent in one thing. But enough of that. Let's get to this week. A Saturday evening game. (Wait... What?) Scheduled for the same time as the Wiggles concert. So I'll have a wonderful surprise, or have missed an atrocity.

Now, to the serious stuff...

Serious Work Time.gif
TEAMS
FREO:
We expect Tucker and Pearce to miss, am hopeful on Darcy, think Serong has had to be put down, and are fairly certain that Mundy has had to have a lung transplant. Banfield thought he was playing a preseason match and was good, Acres decided he doesn't like playing at Peel, and have 2 young forwards starting to develop some form at the lower level.
So expect Banfield to come in for Tucker, Hamling for Pearce and Darcy for NOD to make us land of the plodders again.

GWS
From the team that played last week, expect Nick Haynes to miss, with maybe a Leek Aleer or someone called Fleeton to replace him. Unless they decide to go for more run and bring in Callaghan just to rub it in our faces that we couldn't get him. You know, like Adelaide did with Rachele.

MATCH UPS
Freo Defence vs GWS Forwards
Our defensive line should have the edge here, as long as they are not trying to repel a billion entries. Where the bulk of the score is to come from is the GWS midfield, Taranto and Coniglio both love a sausage roll. Plus, there's no Toby Greene. What a... Great guy.

GWS Defence vs Freo Forwards
We should, in theory, have an advantage here. GWS are missing perhaps their best defender, and we have a much... A full strength... Some forwards who can kick g... At the goals. Occasionally it goes through the big sticks too! As long we move it in with speed, and lower the eyes, we should be able to score enough.

The Midfield Battle
This is where the game will be one and lost. If you're comparing the midfields of the two teams, the GWS midfield is the Wiggles franchise, and ours is like the culmination of Hi-5 and the Hooley Dooleys. Each are quality, one is much younger, than the other is lot more established and a lot stronger in the contest.

Let's look at this in a bit more detail.

Preuss vs Meek (Darcy) - Probably even-ish. Tips our way if Darcy plays
Brayshaw vs Ash - Ash tagged Touk miller out of the game last week. So we may have a half-capacity Brayshaw.
Brodie vs Jelly - Hopefully even on the inside. Jelly probably has the edge on the outside
Erasmus vs Cogs - Who would have thought that Both Cogs and Cripps would have had a time machine? Either that, or that's why they were hanging around Fyfe during the off season, our dear ol captain has seemed to have picked up both of their long term issues...
giphy.gif
NOD vs Green - The nice green, also, a very good green.
And that's just the beginning. GWS definitley have he edge here, particularly with Serong, Tucker and Fyfe out, Mundy doubtful.

Eye Twitch.gif
How will the game go?
Expectation.
The young brigade squeeze it forward through energy and youthful exuberance, and when they don't, the defence just puts a hand out and says "not today." Tabs kicks 5, we win by 23 points.

Reality
We get killed out of the middle, the defence fights hard before caving in. Everyone gets scared and goes back into their shells. It turns into a scrap and we try and win in the last five minutes. Giants by 10 points.

I'm not going into this one with too much expectation, I want to see the process in play, regardless of the result. Play to win, don't play not to lose.

And for those going to the game, and missing out on the REAL entertainment, here's a nice little tune for you to remind you of what you're missing.

IN ADDITION
This game marks the 20th anniversary of the Purple Haze match and foundation, supporting the Starlight Foundation. Get around the cause and the team.
Milli-Lucas-2016.JPG

There's still some limited edition jumpers available, $50 from the sale goes to starlight

Untitled-1__49206.1649041541.jpg

I think they're going to have too much firepower in the midfield for us unfortunately. At its worse I am fearing another saints game standard when the heat is applied. More likely I am expecting we've worked on things since then and we'll put in a much better performance but still lose by a few points

I think they're going to have too much firepower in the midfield for us unfortunately. At its worse I am fearing another saints game standard when the heat is applied. More likely I am expecting we've worked on things since then and we'll put in a much better performance but still lose by a few points
I also think they’ll let us play the way we want more. They just back themselves to be better than other teams and aren’t as accountable as others. I don’t think the pressure will be anywhere near what the Saints brought.

Think Darcy will be very important in evening up the midfield contest a bit

I also think they’ll let us play the way we want more. They just back themselves to be better than other teams and aren’t as accountable as others. I don’t think the pressure will be anywhere near what the Saints brought.

Think Darcy will be very important in evening up the midfield contest a bit
Maybe. My little stats package tells me they are second in the league for tackles per game. I expect it will be a pretty hot game

Freo have become moderate favourites for the game, surprised how far we've shortened.

Anyway, I think we'll be stronger forward and back while they'll have the better midfield, although we have a vastly superior ruck.

Intriguing game. Historically we've performed well against GWS. Will be incredible to start the season 3 and 1, really sets us up for a tilt at finals.

I expect it'll be similar to the Saints game where we will get smashed out of the centre clearances.

Hopefully this time we are semi-competent with ball handling and have some intensity moving the ball forwards.

Real 50/50.

I expect it'll be similar to the Saints game where we will get smashed out of the centre clearances.

Hopefully this time we are semi-competent with ball handling and have some intensity moving the ball forwards.

Real 50/50.
I don't think it will be the same. Mundy and Taberner in makes a massive difference to Meek, Banfield.

I don't think it will be the same. Mundy and Taberner in makes a massive difference to Meek, Banfield.
I meant more in terms of the midfield battle. Darcy and Mundy should help that, but we got smashed there against the Saints. GWS have a far superior midfield.

I agree with some here in that it feels like the lead up to the Saints game where I think we're a chance but the reality is we shoot outselves in the foot.

We normally match up and play GWS pretty well and think we kicked like 21 behinds last time we played them. Play like we did last week and we'll win. Anything like we did against Adel/Saints then we'll be 2-2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s midfield aren’t world beaters these days and the Tiges managed to overcome that for a solid win

Efficiency is the word of the day for us , if we break even on the i50’s we will win well but there’s a good chance we don’t so we’ll need to make the most of our opportunities

It would be nice if Sonny has actually turned the corner form wise and last weeks improved showing wasn’t just because WC suck ass

Shoota not playing his usual stinker after a good game would be helpful

Otherwise if Darcy and Brodie are in our best players and Mundy plays a Mundy level game we will be happy campers tonight I think

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

how much we can mitigate the stoppages will define today's game i reckon, there's a chance it could get ugly, but will naturally depend on what GWS decide to turn up. for us to win, i agree with tonygeeks said above, Darcy, Brodie, Mundy will all need to be in our best few probably

Doesnt seem to be much confidence in us winning this here!!! I reckon we will win by 4 goals plus!!! Confidence from last week will show!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back