Universal Love Gary Ablett - 350 games for the Little Master

Remove this Banner Ad

Sensational player

I thought his best game ever was the 2008 GF - he was sensational in a losing side

And i think his best ever goal is a deadheat - the one against Pt Adelaide at KP - and the one against Coll in the 07 PF

This is my favourite Gaz goal.

This is my favourite Gaz goal.

and he did it twice.. from the same spot.. once as you listed and once against us for GCS.

GO Catters

It's a travesty he only has the 2 Brownlow medals, kind of makes that award a bit of a joke.
The real travesty is that he wasted 110 games in the absolute prime of his career playing in meaningless games. It will always be the great regret in his career.

Good on ya, Junior!

All the best for the remainder of this home & away *season*

I'm still finding it difficult to get really interested with no crowds, it's a shame he won't get to celebrate in front of the faithful :'(

Last edited:
Sensational player

I thought his best game ever was the 2008 GF - he was sensational in a losing side

And i think his best ever goal is a deadheat - the one against Pt Adelaide at KP - and the one against Coll in the 07 PF
I was in the crowd that day, and not far off the fence in the pocket from which that magical goal unfolded. Best moment I've witnessed up close and personal as a Cats fan. The 2009 GF I was at the opposite end for the winning goal, and the atmosphere at that Geelong/Collingwood match was unrivalled.

It's basically always been a pleasure watching Gaz Jr play. Even in the early, inconsistent years before he broke out as a genuine star in 2007. Even in the years at Geelong where he missed out on a deserved extra Brownlow (or two) and probably like his old man a Norm Smith in a losing GF side. Even, with a conflicted heart, when he was head and shoulders above every single player in the competition for a chunk of years at the Gold Coast. And of course, although he's been inhibited in finals upon return (injured last year, an off game the year before), in general I've loved seeing him during his return with the Cats. Every goal he's kicked has given me the warm fuzzies.

Legend of the Geelong football club.

For nearly my whole life, Gazza has been playing and has been my favourite player, and I've always admired some of the amazing things he can do on a football field. My first Geelong jumpers had #29 on the back. And I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out how he was able to duck, spin, dance and jump his way through the Port Adelaide defence to kick a goal that almost won us the match

I was shattered when he left for the Suns, but I always enjoyed watching him from afar (and I'm happy to say that I clapped for him when he kicked that ripping goal against us in 2013). I was so thrilled the day he returned to the Cats, and when I first saw him play for us in 2018 the goal he kicked from the pocket was awesome, and the two minutes of absolute madness on Easter Monday last year when he took a huge mark in the goalsquare, kicked a goal, and then ran out of a contest to snap a ripping goal almost straight after was some of the best footy I've seen

Congratulations on 350 matches Gaz, thank you for all the fantastic memories and highlights, and here's to many more this season

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The following is from a short article published on the club website yesterday; it's just a very brief overview of Gary's journey because I guess if you tried to go into too much detail, you'd need a book

James Button tells a story in his book, Comeback: The Fall and Rise of Geelong, about how sometimes former Cat Ken Hinkley would rile up a young Ablett on bus rides back from Melbourne.

“What’s your name?”. Gary Ablett, he’d respond.”

“You’re not Gary Ablett, he’s Gary Ablett,” pointing to Sr.

Jr. by this point would apparently be stamping his feet, “I’m Gary Ablett!”

350 AFL games later and the Hall of Fame beckons, perhaps even legend status. He is Gary Ablett.

The real travesty is that he wasted 110 games in the absolute prime of his career playing in meaningless games. It will always be the great regret in his career.

I do understand the standpoint but I disagree.

Haters would have found a way to knock him for riding the coattails of other champions.

And I could understand that too - I mean who among that group didn’t get some benefit from playing alongside other champions. Does anyone seriously think Cam Mooney was a 70 goal season forward (67 to be exact) if he played for any other team?

Doing what he did at the Suns, and getting them poised for finals in just their fourth season before he did his shoulder - and make no mistake they were finals bound - highlighted just how ridiculously good he was.

You could just as easily turn around and say he wasted 5 seasons of his career playing at about 60 per cent of his potential before he decided to kick into gear in 2007.

Imagine if he had the drive and passion of Selwood for those first five seasons.

Wrong in 1 way because in that time spent away he mentored some very good young players, 1 of them already has 2 premierships and another is the current captain of his team. For the AFL overall, that is an excellent outcome.

All the same I was rapt to see him come home & be there for our next gen.

One of Gold Coast's best ever bald players as well.
Nathan 2nd best.
I’m ashamed to admit, early days I predicted Nathan to be better than Gaz, how wrong I was. Will be a sad day when the great man retires, would be nice if he continues to play decent footy and when the time comes, ends it all on his own terms.

Nathan 2nd best.
I’m ashamed to admit, early days I predicted Nathan to be better than Gaz, how wrong I was. Will be a sad day when the great man retires, would be nice if he continues to play decent footy and when the time comes, ends it all on his own terms.
Nath would've been very handy as the second key forward over the past decade. I'm just glad one of them utilised their immense potential and we got to enjoy it.

Nath would've been very handy as the second key forward over the past decade. I'm just glad one of them utilised their immense potential and we got to enjoy it.
Remember hearing Nathan kicking massive bags in the junior ranks, although his career went the other way, he has a premiership medal and was part of one of the most dominant teams of the era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back