Rumour Gary Pert to Hawthorn as CEO (Tom Browne7 talkingfooty)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't sit right with me that the guy who has spoked our salary cap with the Mayne deal suddenly gets to comeback and run the club's entire finances...

Gubby is a fraud, the bulk of the Lions premiership squad were already there when he arrived. Scott Clayton did the work there.

The draft picks and help GWS got is unbelievable, when you actually look at the 1st rd picks that GWS have wasted on duds it's embarrassing. SOS and Gubby get praised for what they've done. They should be ashamed of what they wasted and humbled, we should all be thankful because GWS would be even better if they got it right.

Doesn't sit right with me that the guy who has spoked our salary cap with the Mayne deal suddenly gets to comeback and run the club's entire finances...
I didn't say I approve of it, just that it's not impossible, or even improbable...

Pert has been CEO for 10yrs, we have won a flag, refurbished and expanded our training centre, we haven't gone broke, we set records for the highest membership numbers.

He has played VFL/AFL, worked at major media companies in senior roles, what more do you want from a footy CEO?

He isn't the one missing set shots and missing simple handballs to a player 4m away.

We seem to want to heap blame on everyone but the players.

Hard reality is from yesterday's team Schade, Greenwood, Phillips, Ramsay aren't good enough. Moore and Fasolo are shockingly out of form, Adams and Sidebottom were poor and Pendles is playing injured. 1/3 of the team were passengers, how are you going to win with that?

Pert is a campaigner and considered one of the big issues currently at Collingwood from people inside the club.

Has terrible relationships with pretty much everybody expect Eddie.

Pert has been CEO for 10yrs, we have won a flag, refurbished and expanded our training centre, we haven't gone broke, we set records for the highest membership numbers.

He has played VFL/AFL, worked at major media companies in senior roles, what more do you want from a footy CEO?

He isn't the one missing set shots and missing simple handballs to a player 4m away.

We seem to want to heap blame on everyone but the players.

Hard reality is from yesterday's team Schade, Greenwood, Phillips, Ramsay aren't good enough. Moore and Fasolo are shockingly out of form, Adams and Sidebottom were poor and Pendles is playing injured. 1/3 of the team were passengers, how are you going to win with that?
Think you're missing the point here. People don't dislike Pert because of our on field performances, they dislike him for turning our club in to a soulless business that values $$$ over members. It's becoming harder and harder to feel connected to Collingwood as a club under his direction.

The same Davoren who has got our injury list down to the lowest in the comp with only 4 players out?

Yeah the same bloke

I watched our players struggle to keep up with Essendon players on the break away plays all day Saturday.

I'm interested in your take on Pert 76woodenspooners?

I like him and I respect him, but his time at Collingwood has come and gone.

He's an economic rationalist in an industry that has traditionally not been particularly economically minded. His Modus Operandi (MO) seems to be "maximise revenue so we can buy the bestest professional corporate people around the organisation and be the bestest and most professional we can." It's was a worthy MO when we recruited him back in (2007?).

... However ...

... today every club is pretty much professional. Every club has decent operations and is run as a business turning over tens of millions of dollars.

He's been in the role for (10?) years now. It's time for a change for both him and the club. 'Collingwood CEO' is hardly a cushy job, and 10 years is enough for anyone and for Collingwood. He has done well and he is deserving of his next job being a plum gig. It doesn't get much harder than CEO of Collingwood, especially in the not-for-profit sector (which IMO is more difficult than the for-profit sector). I'm confident he'll do well in whatever he does next.

The earth has turned, and things aren't as they were in 2007 when we recruited Pert. These days corporate-social responsibility is king (it's been that way for ~4 years). It's not just about maximising $$$ to pay expensive corporate advisers. I really want our next CEO to be somebody who salivates at the prospect of having ~70000 engaged and passionate members (+fans) and sees them as a resource to be tapped and competitive advantage over others ...

... rather than a burden to be tamed as the current administration seems to treat us.

IMO tapping our membership as a resource is current day thinking, and is the next frontier of Collingwood being a great club.

ColinWood Bad Horse Linda Lovelace regpies Queenie Hearts etc ... what are your thoughts on our present / future CEO?

Last edited:

1:10 into his report on talking footy Tom Browne says he asked Gary Pert after today's match if the rumours were correct that Hawks were after him to be their CEO.

Pert told Browne that Hawks haven't contacted him for said position him and said Pies says that Pert is contracted

Tom Browne saying Pert using strange language to answer a simple yes/no question.

Pert on the way out ?
If we saw the back of both Buckley AND Pert in the one season, we will have taken huge strides to improving ourselves as a club.

Had someone tell me that Gubby will be the CEO.

I so hope that's wrong, he's almost solely responsible for the Chris Mayne deal after all, so that alone says he should never be allowed back inside the Holden Centre, let alone as our CEO.

Walsh will remain as football manager (or whatever they call it these days), I think he's pretty comfortable in that role now.

Here I was thinking it could not get any worse.

I hear this s**t.

IF That Happens then Sorry Eddie has to Go as he is Destroying the Club

Yes.

Edit: to clarify I'm not in a CEO role. That said I've spent enough time in corporate environments to compare how he operates and he acts as a partner of an accounting or law firm would not a CEO.

Given he openly admits to sitting on the list management committee alarm bells should be ringing, IMO, because his role is admin not football. If he wants to be in football he needs to step aside as CEO and take the pay cut to work as our football operations manager...
I think i have said this in the last 15 Collingwood conversations i have had. He is a frustrated Head of Footy. It is widely known outside of Pieland that we are hard to deal with as we have too many staff that have and want to have a say in football operations. The interesting thing to remember is Walshy left primarily because of too many snouts in the trough (with Perts being the biggest and most regular). Makes you wonder what the inducements were to get him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say I approve of it, just that it's not impossible, or even improbable...

Never said you did. I understood the point you were making.

I think i have said this in the last 15 Collingwood conversations i have had. He is a frustrated Head of Footy. It is widely known outside of Pieland that we are hard to deal with as we have too many staff that have and want to have a say in football operations. The interesting thing to remember is Walshy left primarily because of too many snouts in the trough (with Perts being the biggest and most regular). Makes you wonder what the inducements were to get him back.

A job, he was being shuffled at North.

Maybe he was offered a CEO in waiting role?

I reckon Pert started this rumor. Probably after a raise or contract extension and thought if he got linked to hawthorn we would be all over him.

Pass.

Our fitness levels based on available players are at a high, our finances are super strong and our facilities are world class. I personally think our biggest issue is recruiting. Our list profile is unbelievably far from AFL standards. How can we continually draft players who turn the ball over so much and how can we have a list so shallow in key position tall players.
In my opinion we need to recruit the best talent spotter/recruiting staff we can get our hands on.

Our fitness levels based on available players are at a high, our finances are super strong and our facilities are world class. I personally think our biggest issue is recruiting. Our list profile is unbelievably far from AFL standards. How can we continually draft players who turn the ball over so much and how can we have a list so shallow in key position tall players.
In my opinion we need to recruit the best talent spotter/recruiting staff we can get our hands on.

This.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back