Rumour Gary Pert to Hawthorn as CEO (Tom Browne7 talkingfooty)

Remove this Banner Ad

• The new members area at the Holden Centre is nothing more than an events centre, no real facilities for members
What have you got in mind for facilities for members?

IIRC the new Glasshouse was supposed to have gym and changeroom facilities for folks who want to run around the Tan. Happy to be corrected, but I don't think that happened?

And I know you reckon the bar area is shorter than the Rex check-in counter at Dubbo airport.

What other thoughts do you have about the facilities the club could provide?

What have you got in mind for facilities for members?

IIRC the new Glasshouse was supposed to have gym and changeroom facilities for folks who want to run around the Tan. Happy to be corrected, but I don't think that happened?

And I know you reckon the bar area is shorter than the Rex check-in counter at Dubbo airport.

What other thoughts do you have about the facilities the club could provide?

There needs to be a proper bar where members can go back to after the game. Players should also be made available to address the members at after match functions. Currently the only way to connect with the club is by paying money. Legends members should get more than what is currently offered. They can't even send the fridge magnet out until round 4.
Members are nothing but a cash cow to Pert.

There needs to be a proper bar where members can go back to after the game. Players should also be made available to address the members at after match functions. Currently the only way to connect with the club is by paying money. Legends members should get more than what is currently offered. They can't even send the fridge magnet out until round 4.
Fridge magnet! What fridge magnet? I didn't get one!

The bar is a great idea. Remember how well footy clubs, especially Collingwood, run licensed venues. The club could make a killing and provide a great service to its members. Instead of a bar at the Holden Centre which wouldn't see much use outside of game days, why doesn't the club set up a pub? That would be awesome. Even better, maybe near the water, I dunno, say Port Melbourne?

The bar is a great idea. Remember how well footy clubs, especially Collingwood, run licensed venues. The club could make a killing and provide a great service to its members. Instead of a bar at the Holden Centre which wouldn't see much use outside of game days, why doesn't the club set up a pub? That would be awesome. Even better, maybe near the water, I dunno, say Port Melbourne?

I'm talking about a members bar at the club, not a pub. Way to miss the point.

I understood that - buried deep in my post was the point that clubs can't run bars for the life of them and the days of a social club bar being able to cover its costs are long gone - unless it had pokies...

The Holden Centre is supposed to provide "social facilities" to the members, according to Ed. A decent bar should have been the bare minimum.

For me this is the most relevant post here. I have very little idea about a CEOs role. It's boring to say, and it also applies to other areas of the club, but I have no idea if Pert is a good or poor CEO. My guess he is pretty good because he has held the job for 10 years, the club remains in a strong position off the field.

As to conjecture he gets too involved on football operations I have absolutely no idea. How does anyone here have any real knowledge of how involved he is and whether he does that part of the job well or not. As 76woodenspooners said he may well have been there long enough, I can understand that as a general concept. Still I don't really get the strong views on people like Pert when really almost everyone on this board is pretty ignorant to how well he performs.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

By your own admission you have very little idea of what his role entails. You don't know how much of a say he has in football matters despite his public statements that he sits on the list committee, he initially drove Walsh away because of his desire to be involved in the FD and he speculated about stepping in as football director when Gubby was axed. What more do you need to comprehend that he involves himself in football matters?

Yet despite that you can sit back and post that almost everyone on here is ignorant to how well he performs. It's illogical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me this is the most relevant post here. I have very little idea about a CEOs role. It's boring to say, and it also applies to other areas of the club, but I have no idea if Pert is a good or poor CEO. My guess he is pretty good because he has held the job for 10 years, the club remains in a strong position off the field.

As to conjecture he gets too involved on football operations I have absolutely no idea. How does anyone here have any real knowledge of how involved he is and whether he does that part of the job well or not. As 76woodenspooners said he may well have been there long enough, I can understand that as a general concept. Still I don't really get the strong views on people like Pert when really almost everyone on this board is pretty ignorant to how well he performs.
This is more likely right than incorrect.

As far as I know none of us are in the Collingwood office, so he may be terrific at what he does.
Equally he may be arrogant, or not?
Can't make a judgment and doubt it matters all that much.

However, it appears that he does involve himself in football matters, he says he's in a selection committee but I suspect that's much more about the contract than over riding the football department. But who knows

That's your point.

I wonder sometimes if we are too inflicted by the "disease" Collingwood isn't winning games of football hence we are doing everything wrong?

I have no doubt improvement is required but overall we're likely just like everyone else battling away to win games of football.

Fridge magnet! What fridge magnet? I didn't get one!

small criticism but is it that difficult to send a fridge magnet (with the 2017 draw on it) out before the start of the season rather than after round 4.

The wife is an Essendon member and they freakishly managed to get their version to her before round 1.

Cool. Club should do it for those who need another bar in their life. And charge those members accordingly. Don't come yelping when your subs go up.

Are you aware that the club just spent $25 million dollars building the Holden Centre facility? The facility was supposed to cater for members. This may be news to you, but a lot of members enjoy having a beer after the game and having some sort of connectino to the club.

Did you ever go to Victoria Park?

small criticism but is it that difficult to send a fridge magnet (with the 2017 draw on it) out before the start of the season rather than after round 4.

The wife is an Essendon member and they freakishly managed to get their version to her before round 1.

The Hawthorn version is also plastic, rather than the crappy cardboard one we get.

Are you aware that the club just spent $25 million dollars building the Holden Centre facility? The facility was supposed to cater for members. This may be news to you, but a lot of members enjoy having a beer after the game and having some sort of connectino to the club.

Did you ever go to Victoria Park?
More than you would know fella.

Yer but they probably cheated somehow.

don't we all?

If a membership to the Club is a connection then yes we do.

Personally I don't have the same feelings towards the Club that I did during Vic Park days.

The Holden Centre is sterile IMO.

The Hawthorn version is also plastic, rather than the crappy cardboard one we get.
Cardboard is a natural material and biodegradable, so it's like, better for the earth man. Why do you hate nature?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back