Rumour Gary Pert to Hawthorn as CEO (Tom Browne7 talkingfooty)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our fitness levels based on available players are at a high, our finances are super strong and our facilities are world class. I personally think our biggest issue is recruiting. Our list profile is unbelievably far from AFL standards. How can we continually draft players who turn the ball over so much and how can we have a list so shallow in key position tall players.
In my opinion we need to recruit the best talent spotter/recruiting staff we can get our hands on.

I would add development coaches to the wish list. Outside of Grundy very few of our high end picks have come good.

I like him and I respect him, but his time at Collingwood has come and gone.

He's an economic rationalist in an industry that has traditionally not been particularly economically minded. His Modus Operandi (MO) seems to be "maximise revenue so we can buy the bestest professional corporate people around the organisation and be the bestest and most professional we can." It's was a worthy MO when we recruited him back in (2007?).

... However ...

... today every club is pretty much professional. Every club has decent operations and is run as a business turning over tens of millions of dollars.

He's been in the role for (10?) years now. It's time for a change for both him and the club. 'Collingwood CEO' is hardly a cushy job, and 10 years is enough for anyone and for Collingwood. He has done well and he is deserving of his next job being a plum gig. It doesn't get much harder than CEO of Collingwood, especially in the not-for-profit sector (which IMO is more difficult than the for-profit sector). I'm confident he'll do well in whatever he does next.

The earth has turned, and things aren't as they were in 2007 when we recruited Pert. These days corporate-social responsibility is king (it's been that way for ~4 years). It's not just about maximising $$$ to pay expensive corporate advisers. I really want our next CEO to be somebody who salivates at the prospect of having ~70000 engaged and passionate members (+fans) and sees them as a resource to be tapped and competitive advantage over others ...

... rather than a burden to be tamed as the current administration seems to treat us.

IMO tapping our membership as a resource is current day thinking, and is the next frontier of Collingwood being a great club.

ColinWood Bad Horse Linda Lovelace regpies Queenie Hearts etc ... what are your thoughts on our present / future CEO?

Great post 76. Very thought provoking.

No time for an in depth exploration of this but my initial thoughts are:

- what does Pert add to Hawthorn?

Probably their exec search agents would say a different perspective and a track record of prolonged off-field success

- what does Collingwood need next in a CEO?

Everyone will have a different opinion but I'm not sure I agree with Eddy that every Collingwood CEO should have a footy background. Occasionally I think not having this background will bring a superior result. Other experience may bring skills and focus we may benefit from.

In terms of engaging our members and supporter base - I agree with 76, it's an untapped resource at present. I am increasingly of the view that we are disadvantaged by the AFL-ownership model which makes our websites lowest common denominator so they can be consistent across all teams and to leverage common staff. Clearly benefits the less financial teams but for us without this I think we'd have a chance at true innovation. A tech communications platform that allowed electronic voting, supporter generated content linking the club to backyard heroics, suburban footy clubs and possibly even footy-themed birthday parties.

Content is king and it can no longer be controlled or mediated like the AFL mode currently demands.

Pipe dream at the moment but the AFL must head that way and why shouldn't we lead?

I would add development coaches to the wish list. Outside of Grundy very few of our high end picks have come good.

To be fair we haven't had many lately. The ones we have had, Grundy, Moore and Degoey are going to be just fine.

1:10 into his report on talking footy Tom Browne says he asked Gary Pert after today's match if the rumours were correct that Hawks were after him to be their CEO.

Pert told Browne that Hawks haven't contacted him for said position him and said Pies says that Pert is contracted

Tom Browne saying Pert using strange language to answer a simple yes/no question.

Pert on the way out ?

Finally some good news.

To be fair we haven't had many lately. The ones we have had, Grundy, Moore and Degoey are going to be just fine.

Grundy is the only one that has developed well, probably faster than expected as a tall. DeGoey has stalled and his attitude is a major issue and Darcy is also stalling, whether that is development or lack of support/game plan is the question.

Can BigFooty take on the CEO role?
We can rotate every month, so we all have the opportunity to be CEO for a month, with all the perks (including Clokes carpark space).

Nb Clokes carpark space not available when Doggies play at the G

Last edited:
We can rotate every month, so we all have the opportunity to be CEO for a month, with all the perks (including Clokes carpark space).

What could possibly go wrong.

We have infallibility amongst us

I think Senior Coach would be a much better idea :D

Can I be ruck coach, please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if Hawthorn are such a brilliant club that never make mistakes and they appoint Mr Pert
It stands to reason Pert is the best CEO.

Ofcourse he's not.
But around these threads he is anathema, one of the hate figures.
Around here Hawthorn are all but perfect.

If he goes, meh, last time I checked he hasn't kicked a ball for decades

Fools gold..
Would you put Pert in charge of a professional organisation?

I figure that Hawthorn offered him a role as development coach for Ty Vickery.

Great post 76. Very thought provoking.

No time for an in depth exploration of this but my initial thoughts are:

- what does Pert add to Hawthorn?

Probably their exec search agents would say a different perspective and a track record of prolonged off-field success

- what does Collingwood need next in a CEO?

Everyone will have a different opinion but I'm not sure I agree with Eddy that every Collingwood CEO should have a footy background. Occasionally I think not having this background will bring a superior result. Other experience may bring skills and focus we may benefit from.

In terms of engaging our members and supporter base - I agree with 76, it's an untapped resource at present. I am increasingly of the view that we are disadvantaged by the AFL-ownership model which makes our websites lowest common denominator so they can be consistent across all teams and to leverage common staff. Clearly benefits the less financial teams but for us without this I think we'd have a chance at true innovation. A tech communications platform that allowed electronic voting, supporter generated content linking the club to backyard heroics, suburban footy clubs and possibly even footy-themed birthday parties.

Content is king and it can no longer be controlled or mediated like the AFL mode currently demands.

Pipe dream at the moment but the AFL must head that way and why shouldn't we lead?
I reckon you're 100% correct.

I don't think a CEO needs to have a footy background. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that it is preferable. In that way, he can concentrate on running the club and not have any say in footy matters.

That is the job of the head of the footy department.

Pert has stuck his nose in to footy matters too often.

They haven't come good elsewhere either. I am sure we could improve development but list management is the more pressing issue.

I reckon you're 100% correct.

I don't think a CEO needs to have a footy background. In fact, I'll go as far as saying that it is preferable. In that way, he can concentrate on running the club and not have any say in footy matters.

That is the job of the head of the footy department.

Pert has stuck his nose in to footy matters too often.
Especially when he stole Clokes car park space.

For those of you who want him gone, do any of you actually know what a CEO's job is?
For me this is the most relevant post here. I have very little idea about a CEOs role. It's boring to say, and it also applies to other areas of the club, but I have no idea if Pert is a good or poor CEO. My guess he is pretty good because he has held the job for 10 years, the club remains in a strong position off the field.

As to conjecture he gets too involved on football operations I have absolutely no idea. How does anyone here have any real knowledge of how involved he is and whether he does that part of the job well or not. As 76woodenspooners said he may well have been there long enough, I can understand that as a general concept. Still I don't really get the strong views on people like Pert when really almost everyone on this board is pretty ignorant to how well he performs.

The fact that Maxwell was/is a 'leadership' coach at GWS and not at Collingwood is not right. Particularly given our lack of leadership has been a real issue given the relatively young list.

As to whether Pert is doing a good job, I don't know. I think the club (Pert?) has been smart in adding a women's AFL team and netball team. I know a lot of you don't see the benefit and see it as a distraction, however, the fight for sponsorship $$ will become increasingly more difficult. To be able to sell the Collingwood Club to potential sponsors accessinga far broader market for each of their $ is a very good move. That's what a CEO is there for. To ensure the sustainability and growth of the club. He is also responsible for the appointment of the The footy manager (I wonder how much influence Eddie has here), as I would think this role determines on field success and is responsible for the appointment and assessment of recruiters, coaches etc.

Hopefully in Walsh we now have someone who can help turn things around. It's just going to take him a couple of years to put his people in place. There is no doubt Gubby was a huge distraction. Fortunately, we was gone in the first few months.

For me this is the most relevant post here. I have very little idea about a CEOs role. It's boring to say, and it also applies to other areas of the club, but I have no idea if Pert is a good or poor CEO. My guess he is pretty good because he has held the job for 10 years, the club remains in a strong position off the field.

As to conjecture he gets too involved on football operations I have absolutely no idea. How does anyone here have any real knowledge of how involved he is and whether he does that part of the job well or not. As 76woodenspooners said he may well have been there long enough, I can understand that as a general concept. Still I don't really get the strong views on people like Pert when really almost everyone on this board is pretty ignorant to how well he performs.

Here are the reasons why Pert is a poor CEO:
  • Social club bar at the G is a joke
  • No flexibility when needing to add seats to a membership
  • He cancelled the Legends cocktail party
  • The new members area at the Holden Centre is nothing more than an events centre, no real facilities for members
  • The club is constantly trying to get money out of members, they give nothing back in return.
  • Even the players have to pay for their partners to attend functions.
  • He predicted we would win the flag this year in 2014
  • He handled the illicit drug incident very poorly

Here are the reasons why Pert is a poor CEO:
  • Social club bar at the G is a joke
  • No flexibility when needing to add seats to a membership
  • He cancelled the Legends cocktail party
  • The new members area at the Holden Centre is nothing more than an events centre, no real facilities for members
  • The club is constantly trying to get money out of members, they give nothing back in return.
  • Even the players have to pay for their partners to attend functions.
  • He predicted we would win the flag this year in 2014
  • He handled the illicit drug incident very poorly
And constantly booked out when we're playing there!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back