Gavin Brown - the silence is deafening

Remove this Banner Ad

Long overdue

Many player played their best footy in their first year and never improved From there on
Whilst I think 10 years at a club where success is fleeting & time for a change…that job is the opposite of Brown’s. His development role was to get them to the point of playing senior football. Once there, they are in the AFL system & at the disposal of the AFL coaches. Development has been poor however.

The only good thing Brayshaw did was save us from been sent to the Gold Coast .
He also ended the private ownership of the club and brought it back to being member-controlled. That took a lot of work - he enlisted the services of a NMFC supporting QC/KC and others. Far better situation now.

He also did a lot to reduce the debt.

Basti, Black, Kennedy, Harper, Jmac (to an extent should've been better than what he was), Bmac, Garner (first rounder but had huge potential), Wood, Currie (refused to play him even when Goldy had a bad patch), Nielson, Mahoney, Perez, EVW, Hibberd, Watson, Williams, Curtis Taylor hasn't looked flash since his draft year... list goes on.

Some of those players I would agree were somewhat limited and/or injured a lot but there were even guys in the first round that also suffered after a very promising first year. Atley, (rookie pick but showed heaps of excitement in his first few years) Mullett, Durdin... etc etc.

Then there are the MSD picks. Holy * we couldn't at least get one of them to work?

I was fairly clear with the last 8 years. 7 of the boys you mentioned were longer than that ago. And unfair to put Macmillan in there I reckon. He was a good player.

Nielson was ... not good. Watson and Hibberd and Williams were ... worse. Perez still has some time. EVW couldn't get on the park.

And it's Brown's fault the MSD has ben poor? That's a looooong bow.

He also ended the private ownership of the club and brought it back to being member-controlled. That took a lot of work - he enlisted the services of a NMFC supporting QC/KC and others. Far better situation now.

He also did a lot to reduce the debt.
And let’s remember the 3 White Knights?

I was fairly clear with the last 8 years. 7 of the boys you mentioned were longer than that ago. And unfair to put Macmillan in there I reckon. He was a good player.

Nielson was ... not good. Watson and Hibberd and Williams were ... worse. Perez still has some time. EVW couldn't get on the park.

And it's Brown's fault the MSD has ben poor? That's a looooong bow.
Perhaps I'm overreacting a little bit but there were so many names from that period that simply didn't go to another level when they had shown it.

It's the reason we're stuck in this hole. We've got literally almost no one from pre-2015. That's horrendous.

Perhaps I'm overreacting a little bit but there were so many names from that period that simply didn't go to another level when they had shown it.

It's the reason we're stuck in this hole. We've got literally almost no one from pre-2015. That's horrendous.

I;m not arguing that point. 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 was horrific. And 2020 was also very poor.

I just don't see a bunch of names that in my view should've made it. I see a bunch of blokes who never looked like it and had such fundamental flaws that coaching was gonna help.

Brown, Turner, Dumont, Atley etc maxed out IMO and a lot of the guys brought in from other clubs in the early 2010's played their best footy at North.

Again, when you've been this poor for this long it's probably a million things that were s**t.

About time I got some credit for my contributions. Thank you William.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You hate to see people go who were loyal to the club, but I hated seeing us lose with surprising regularity, be physically underdeveloped, be unable to get basic skill errors out of the unforced game. It is a results based industry and our results have been not very good for some time. Change has had to happen. The head coach doesn't take that kind of hands on approach with the early development.

Took his wages every week, for years and years and years and did absolutely zilch for the club, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out

Took his wages every week, for years and years and years and did absolutely zilch for the club, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out

Look, I'm all for a bit of online grandstanding, in fact I base my life on it.

But that's pretty ****ing rude bro.

He's a good man, gave it a shot and whether by circumstance or competence is out of work. Maybe we show him a little more respect.

And let’s remember the 3 White Knights?
If i remember correctly, we experienced the 2007-2008 financial crisis and those white knights would have taken serious haircuts to their financial position. The white knights from memory were going to set up funds where the growth went to the club (which obviously doesn't work well when experiencing a financial crisis).

If i remember correctly, we experienced the 2007-2008 financial crisis and those white knights would have taken serious haircuts to their financial position. The white knights from memory were going to set up funds where the growth went to the club (which obviously doesn't work well when experiencing a financial crisis).
It was worse than that. The white knights would not have taken a haircut, the club would. The $1 million that each of them was supposed to put forward was entirely repayable to them at the end of the set period. The club was to keep the dividends and any increase in value of shares (or however the management fund chose to grow the principal.) So, given that the share market nose-dived in the Global Financial Crisis, there would have been no dividends and the shares would have sold for a lesser price than they were bought, yet the club would have still owed each white knight their original $1 million. Basically, the club would have ended up in even more debt than when they started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back