Injury Gawn knee injury

Remove this Banner Ad

This is very disappointing, he made so much progress in 2011.

The scariest part is that Jake Spencer has now moved up the ranks.

Such a shame for the big bloke. You have to imagine the forces on a knee are multiplied when talking about such a tall person. Hope he is able to get some enduring strength into it eventually. I guess he can look to Hawthorn's Max Bailey for inspiration.

Such a shame for the big bloke. You have to imagine the forces on a knee are multiplied when talking about such a tall person. Hope he is able to get some enduring strength into it eventually. I guess he can look to Hawthorn's Max Bailey for inspiration.

Amen to this. Hopefully Max's dedication to his rehab and positive attitude around the club can be provide further motivation to our players.

The nightmare of what can happen in the preseason. I never wish injuries on any player and the second one for this bloke must be quite debilitating. All the best for him and a speedy recovery.

Wish the young man all the best - as a Hawks supporter l know what you guys are feeling as we have been through it with our own Max (Bailey). Pick 18 in 2005 draft - played 5 or 6 games till this year - has had 3 full knee recos BUT the good news is he managed 16 games this year. I remember one commentator saying 'if he can get his body right then this kid will be so mentally tough after everything he has gone through'. I must confess I still hold my breath when he plays!

Good luck Gawn - with that name footie needs you on the field!

Wish the young man all the best - as a Hawks supporter l know what you guys are feeling as we have been through it with our own Max (Bailey). Pick 18 in 2005 draft - played 5 or 6 games till this year - has had 3 full knee recos BUT the good news is he managed 16 games this year. I remember one commentator saying 'if he can get his body right then this kid will be so mentally tough after everything he has gone through'. I must confess I still hold my breath when he plays!

Good luck Gawn - with that name footie needs you on the field!

Back n the day when facebook had no privacy.... the day after Bailey did it in 2007(?) I checked his profile...It said something along the line lines of " Out for another year, time to hit the bourbon"...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is worse than what MFC are letting on. A torn meniscus is far far worse than an ACL for a young player, they never heal naturally so the torn part must be cut out of the knee to allow pain free twisting movements, making the knee forever restricted, and sadly never able to return to 100%

Hope this guy can play in the afl again

This is worse than what MFC are letting on. A torn meniscus is far far worse than an ACL for a young player, they never heal naturally so the torn part must be cut out of the knee to allow pain free twisting movements, making the knee forever restricted, and sadly never able to return to 100%

It's not good, but given that he is having a full knee reco, at least the meniscus will get a good rest while the healing is taking place. Usually professional athletes are in too much of a hurry and don't allow enough time for a meniscus injury. The reco might be a blessing in disguise in that sense. They don't always cut out the whole damaged part of the meniscus. There is also a technique called scaffolding which inserts a synthetic structure into the meniscus and allows cartilage to grow into and around it. It depends on the extent of the damage and the expected rehab period as to whether that's applicable. The fact is, none of us knows the specifics of Max's injury.

Sorry to hear the news ... hate to see anyone do a knee once, let alone twice

Any ruckmen named Max out there might want to change their name, seems like a jinx. :(

Seriously though hope Gawn comes back from this, perhaps he can use Bailey as an inspiration.

A torn meniscus can be repaired and heal with rest, naturally there will be scar tissue which can wear over time, so will have to be monitored for his whole career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back