News Geelong’s list boss Stephen Wells to take some time away from his role

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, now it feels like we have a problem. With Wells probably walking away, T Selwood was the logical choice to be his successor.

If it's not him, we're going to have look outside the club - unless Mackie is experienced enough? (But I never thought he was involved to the same level as Selwood).

Liam woodland if he stays.

One of the two had to go - wells or Sel. Looks like Stephen won that staring co test.

Wellsyis that close to retirement age that i expect he will be going soon anyway. Hopefully we have planned for the future.

Think she's already a head recruiter.

No shes the second in charge (equivalent to selwoods position) to adrian caruso at gws. She is very good though.

$$$ talks, otherwise why else would you leave Geelong to join that basket case of a club at the moment.

The fact that one of his brothers is at each clubprobably factored into it too.

Liam woodland if he stays.

I can't say I've ever heard the name, but a quick search has as a "recruiting assistant".

Sounds like a junior position but he's been there for at least 3 years so would have good exposure to how we work (hopefully).

Otherwise we're looking around.

Wellsyis that close to retirement age that i expect he will be going soon anyway. Hopefully we have planned for the future.

Wells wont be back, he's done i reckon, wants a career change. Will be Mackie and some other new guys in the chair very shortly.

Wouldn't older be better for a recruiter though? As it's mostly about contacts.

In the pre covid era yes but with the soft cap cuts most recruiters are having to work much longer hours...does Wells want to that at his age? I hope he does but i wont be surprised if he steps away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S Wells was watching on with the Senior team at the VFL game tonight so he's clearly still around, and invested
You won’t find someone who loves the Cats more than SW.

You won’t find someone who loves the Cats more than SW.
True! However, I do wonder whether the way he was treated during the Covid stand-downs has a bit to do with his decision. There's talk he'll continue part-time which is encouraging. I recall an interview in which he said when he was called in by Lloyd during the time of the staff stand-downs that he expected to be working reduced hours but was shocked when he was told he would be stood-down for the immediate future.

No doubt the workload and some rough times ahead in recruiting are factors too.

Mackie is too inexperienced to be numero-uno in imo.

True! However, I do wonder whether the way he was treated during the Covid stand-downs has a bit to do with his decision. There's talk he'll continue part-time which is encouraging. I recall an interview in which he said when he was called in by Lloyd during the time of the staff stand-downs that he expected to be working reduced hours but was shocked when he was told he would be stood-down for the immediate future.

No doubt the workload and some rough times ahead in recruiting are factors too.

Mackie is too inexperienced to be numero-uno in imo.
All of that was a factor but he has also been doing it a long time and the end has to come eventually. He’s no spring chicken.

Wells is in his 60s now and has been at Geelong for 37 years. It's not surprising that he is considering his future and possible retirement.

Selwood is the protege of the most respected recruiter in Australia, so I'm not surprised Collingwood want him. I imagine they have offered good money too.

It's all disappointing, but not a sign of secret unrest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back