GEELONG 2022 TRADE PERIOD

Remove this Banner Ad

All hail the great man, Andrew Mackie

Im not criticising it - Mackie is alot more ruthless than Wells

When Zane Williams was signed mid season - Stephen Wells said - re Zane - we look at this not just for this season - but hopefully for many years to come -- ok fair enough he was given the flick at the end of the year

At this stage - the only thing Geel has won - is that pick 7 - that is a big win

But as for the others Bowes ( 4 games last year and is 25 ) Bruhn - pick 18 - and Henry 25 - lost a player and quite a few picks

After they have all played 10-15 senior games next year - you can makes a reasonable - accurate comment

When Zane Williams was signed mid season - Stephen Wells said - re Zane - we look at this not just for this season - but hopefully for many years to come -- ok fair enough he was given the flick at the end of the year

At this stage - the only thing Geel has won - is that pick 7 - that is a big win

But as for the others Bowes ( 4 games last year and is 25 ) Bruhn - pick 18 - and Henry 25 - lost a player and quite a few picks

After they have all played 10-15 senior games next year - you can makes a reasonable - accurate comment
Oh no! We lost checks notes Cooper Stephens?

Mate, we won this trade period by a country mile.

Stephens wasn't getting a game in our midfield anytime soon. I'm happy he's gone to the club he supported as a kid where he'll actually get a go at the AFL level.

Meanwhile we get the boys we'd have picked up if Jezza never came to the club, several of them taken Top Ten in their draft, and we've landed Pick 7.

Long story short Pick 7, Bruhn, Bowes, and Henry are all huge wins. Huge wins we banked as reigning premiers. It's insane. Mackie is a genius.

I don't see how any Geelong supporter can see this trade period as anything but win after win after win after win. Why do you think neutral supporters are having a huge sook.

Great to see the club back up the Premiership win with a proactive trade period.

The Bowes/#7 deal seemed to fall into our lap at first, until it started to emerge that Patrick Dangerfield had reached out to Jack Bowes and his manager and provided a supportive ear throughout the year. Finding our way into the top handful of picks in the draft was a really unexpected bonus.

You don't replace Joel Selwood, and yet we had to replace Joel Selwood in terms of extra midfielders - we might have invested more games into Cooper Stephens, but the club ultimately decided to trade in Bowes, who has plenty of pre-seasons under his belt yet still may have untapped potential, and Tanner Bruhn, who I suspect might prove more damaging by foot than Stephens. Stephens will get plenty of opportunities to prove us wrong next year at Hawthorn and I hope he goes well. But not too well.

I am happy we kept hold of Esava Ratugolea. My support of him finally started to waver a bit this year, but we may well need his size and strength if any unfortunate injuries befall our KPPs.

Lastly, Oh Henry.
Nice that the club was able to reunite the Henry brothers after days of boring posturing by Graham Wright.
However I'm not sure how much use we will have for Henry the younger.
That third tall forward is a tricky position to hold down.
Gary Rohan's speed and leap make him as sound an option as anyone; his manic pressure though is his real best asset to the team.
Henry would do very well to incorporate as much of that defensive intensity as he possibly can into his game.

Happily we had the best forward line in the comp in season 2022; I don't see Ollie Henry complementing that at this stage - the mosquito fleet of Stengle/Miers/Close is crucial to our ongoing success, Hawkins and Cameron's records speak for themselves and I have already touched upon what Rohan brings to the side. Henry not best 22 in 2023.

In fact I'm not certain any of the new guys will be best 22 in 2023; but of course genuine depth is always welcome in such an attritional sport.

Now onto the draft - will we use #58?

Great to see the club back up the Premiership win with a proactive trade period.

The Bowes/#7 deal seemed to fall into our lap at first, until it started to emerge that Patrick Dangerfield had reached out to Jack Bowes and his manager and provided a supportive ear throughout the year. Finding our way into the top handful of picks in the draft was a really unexpected bonus.

You don't replace Joel Selwood, and yet we had to replace Joel Selwood in terms of extra midfielders - we might have invested more games into Cooper Stephens, but the club ultimately decided to trade in Bowes, who has plenty of pre-seasons under his belt yet still may have untapped potential, and Tanner Bruhn, who I suspect might prove more damaging by foot than Stephens. Stephens will get plenty of opportunities to prove us wrong next year at Hawthorn and I hope he goes well. But not too well.

I am happy we kept hold of Esava Ratugolea. My support of him finally started to waver a bit this year, but we may well need his size and strength if any unfortunate injuries befall our KPPs.

Lastly, Oh Henry.
Nice that the club was able to reunite the Henry brothers after days of boring posturing by Graham Wright.
However I'm not sure how much use we will have for Henry the younger.
That third tall forward is a tricky position to hold down.
Gary Rohan's speed and leap make him as sound an option as anyone; his manic pressure though is his real best asset to the team.
Henry would do very well to incorporate as much of that defensive intensity as he possibly can into his game.

Happily we had the best forward line in the comp in season 2022; I don't see Ollie Henry complementing that at this stage - the mosquito fleet of Stengle/Miers/Close is crucial to our ongoing success, Hawkins and Cameron's records speak for themselves and I have already touched upon what Rohan brings to the side. Henry not best 22 in 2023.

In fact I'm not certain any of the new guys will be best 22 in 2023; but of course genuine depth is always welcome in such an attritional sport.

They may not be best 22, but decent chance they are best 26 and will get a fair few games during the season. Lotta oldies who are going to need managment again.

Great to see the club back up the Premiership win with a proactive trade period..

I agree with all that

And Harry Taylor - and he is the fitness area - heard him on the radio re Rohan - Harrys word - he is lightning quick - the quickest bloke on the list -

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“How to make friends and influence people”

What a bloody embarrassing thread.
We don't all have to like all threads - easy option is to avoid the ones that we aren't fussed on

If folks want to discuss the trade period with a focus on Geelong's efforts, then not sure the issue

Bruhn is a great get for what we paid.

Henry cost us a lot 5 picks and a player but none of them were top 30 picks and we werent really using any of our later picks this year anyway. Definitely a lot riding on henry but on the face of it a good deal.

If bowes can become a regular 22 player and we nail pick 7 it will make this trade period outstanding

I feel for Sav. We probably just robed him a dozen career games

No doubt he would have been best 22 at port so i feel sad for him.
But hawk is 34 our 3 rucks are all 32 (except for conway whos not ready) sdk is still young and we have zero backup kpds, i can see why they didnt want to trade him when we have no tall depth and traded our 6th depth mid instead (much as emotionally id have rather kept coop and traded sav). Sav will get to go where he wants in 12 mths time.

Andrew Mackie, take a bow.

Jack Bowes - This man will be a star in the Geelong system. Polished, composed, and a beautiful kick. Can see him taking Selwood's minutes and playing an offensive game through the midfield, hitting the forwards lace out. I said Tyson Stengle would be an All Australian in January this year...I'm not prepared to go that far with Jack, but I can see a brilliant year of football ahead, he'll be a Cats favourite in no time.

Oliver Henry - I must admit, I feel a little dirty saying this after the way the Pies supporters have behaved lately, but I adored the way they played their footy this year and as a result tuned in to almost all of their games.

I just love the way this boy play footy. Attacks through the air and seriously won games off his own boot as a second year player, potential is sky high with young Ollie. Reminds me so much of pre-knees Menzel.

Finishing could use some work, and he will have to adapt to our style and learn to apply defensive pressure, as well as build his endurance to link through the middle as the likes of Stengle, Miers and Close do so well. I can't imagine this being an issue though, he's back home and we got every single player on the list to buy in last year, I have no doubts Ollie will be any different.

Tanner Bruhn - To be totally honest, I just haven't seen enough to make a judgement. From the vision I have seen he looks classy, agile and competitive, traits that you love to have in your midfield. Quality kick on both sides and should play a solid 10-15 games next year due to our midfields ridiculously large rotation. Wish him all the best and the fact that Mackie was willing to hand over pick 18 should hold us in good stead. The club clearly rates him, and I'm hardly going to go against their judgement. They've seen this guy since he was 15 years of age, they know what they're doing.

Pick 7 - Who knows? We all think it's Clark, and everything points to it being him. Reckon we'll be very active on the night in pursuing our target, and will almost certainly trade up if presented with the opportunity. Regardless of who we pick, it'll be nice to finally study the top prospects knowing we'll be getting one of them, it's been a bloody long time!!

Overall, it would be ridiculous to complain. We've smashed this out of the park and it truly is the year of the Cat, we just can't put a foot wrong at the minute.

Jesus some posters on Bigfooty really worries me with their lack of critical thinking …”why couldn’t the suns smooth out the contract too”

A) they didn’t offer a new contract

B) he had an existing contract that already tallied to $1.6 million …hence the salary dump

C) even if both parties wanted to stay together the existing contract has to finish before making new terms

FMD

Big pre season for Sav and a few other VFL boys
I am actually looking forward to VFL next year

We will still have same issue of “resting/managing” players (therefore not playing VFL) but if this years draftees can actually get on the park consistently we will have a dozen really interesting afl listed players to follow every week

But it's also fine to get excited (and maybe wrong later) or skeptical (and maybe be wrong later) too. Because all trade successes are only determined years down the line.

3 high talent players (all first round picks) in that 20 to 24 year age bracket goes nicely with our highest pick in many years. Minus one in Stephens. Worth the punt and that's all it can be at this stage, a punt.

Mackie might be ruthless, but he makes sure it's advantaging Geelong's needs on any trade he enters into.
He's always been a likeable character, good looking rooster with charisma, so I reckon he knows how to turn on the charm if it's to his benefit for Geelong's sake....
I did think Wellsey was a little past it and time was right for Andrew to take the reigns.

It seems almost criminal what we just managed to pull off, with other clubs crying and the AFL considering trade rule changes.

I can’t stop smiling 🙂

As always, list decisions can only be truly judged years later, but with all the players in and out, I totally trust the club to know exactly what they are doing.

Let the good times roll, Catters!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back