Review Geelong banks 4 points V WC b y 18 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Isaac Smith was best yesterday. Had so much impact with his 22 posessions. broke lines and had that long transition disposal.

Him, Stengle and C Guth the stand outs to me

Bottom 6 has also expanded to include a couple more from the seconds (ie Stephens) and whilst we've had a few injuries and looked a bit bare in the cupboard at times, those guys who had none or maybe one game over the last couple, now have a handful.

A good example is how Dalhaus is now no longer a lock as he has been.
Last year’s bottom 6 included Atkins, Close and Zuthrie - all have immensely improved (Brad has potential to be top 8* IMO). Think the drop off is bottom 3 or 4 - Dalh and Stephens squarely in that group. Despite some good games prior to bye, Meirs has also been in that group in most games played this season.

* Edit - in hindsight - top 12 maybe, top 8 a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
Cooper is playing a role. He's doing a lot of the defensive midfield stuff that goes unnoticed. I thought he was quite good in the last half after a slow start.

Cooper is playing a role. He's doing a lot of the defensive midfield stuff that goes unnoticed. I thought he was quite good in the last half after a slow start.
He was doing the grunt work in the middle for most of the day …I don’t get the criticism

I think therr is a defensive mid role for him in 2nd half of the year. But acknowledge he needs to improve his kicking, doesnt look confident...that 2nd qtr chip inside 50 missing hawkins on a lead should be a lay up. He needs to improve that aspect..

But i like his close inside work and strong tackling pressure.

He was doing the grunt work in the middle for most of the day …I don’t get the criticism
People rate performance on disposal numbers these days. It's why Parfitt gets criticism too.

Last year’s bottom 6 included Atkins, Close and Zuthrie - all have immensely improved (Brad has potential to be top 8 IMO). Think the drop off is bottom 3 or 4 - Dalh and Stephens squarely in that group. Despite some good games prior to bye, Meirs has also been in that group in most games played this season.

That is the drop off area yes (ie our first 18 are great)but getting back danger henry and holmes who are best 18 and rohan who is probably best 22 will help with that.

Parfitt gets criticism as much for what he does with his disposals.
Parfitt is a better user of the ball than Dangerfield and is also far better defensively. 🤷

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th just played 18th, who've been walloped relentlessly week in week out......until now.

There were predictions of an easy 10 goal win pre-game, given how dominant we'd be.

We limped to a 3 goal win.

Attitude.

Predictions that were well over the top though, coming off the bye, Eagles fielding their best side for the year, plus the Premiership reunion, this was always going to be a lot tighter then expected IMO.
Just happy with the four points personally, not worried about how close it turned out.

9 game remaining in the H&W 7 of which are at either Kardinia Park or MCG nice run up to finals.
Slippery slope thoughts. Pundits saying we are a lock for top 4 and a premiership threat. Haven’t we heard this before? I mean every year of the last decade? Demons, saints and dogs all have something to play for when they make the trip to the cattery , so we’ll most likely drop one of those. GC and Port away will be tough if they have something to play for.. tigers and blues at the G are 50/50 at best. Lock is in for wins against Roos and Eagles. Roos game could be a heavy training load contest too. I haven’t locked us in to the top 8 at this stage. I’m sure Chris hasn’t either..

A bit off track but...

A BIG SHOUT OUT.
To one of my favourites.
TOM ATKINS
Played well yet again. Gives 100%.
Just a limited player who gives his all.
And a ripping fella to BOOT!
Rookie listed for the 3rd or 4th year.
On the $100k minimum but still busts a gut for the team.
Well deserved upgrade at years end onto the main list.

I thought this would be a struggle , Eagles we’re a much improved version of what’s been dished up so far- take the W and move on.
Quite blustery wind and damp underfoot probably levelled things up a bit as well.

Really liked some of our forward entries when we did it with precision but far too much bombing most of the time.
Mids were up against it but really did the hard stuff- Cuthrie, Atkins , Joel and Stephens all went hard all day.

Neale, Dempsey , Higgins and Evans had a 20 minute workout on the ground post game- running and ball work.
Neale is an athletic beast - you can see the athletics background in his running style - ran laps effortlessly 👍
His ball skills were also very impressive albeit there was no pressure - kicking technique is very sound for such a big guy.

Not an easy day being there amongst a truly ignorant home crowd but he who laughs last…..

A bit off track but...

A BIG SHOUT OUT.
To one of my favourites.
TOM ATKINS
Prefer him to Caddy anyday

A bit off track but...

A BIG SHOUT OUT.
To one of my favourites.
TOM ATKINS
Atkins management would be confident of securing a list spot and a decent pay bump, I would have thought ;)

Excuses ready made if we get rolled against the tigers next week! Funny stuff! I mean tigers peak when it counts more so than Geelong. Are they doing heavy training loads presently?

An excuse or a reason?? Which is it?
Tigers have peaked 3 times in the last 40 years.
We've peaked every year bar half a dozen in the last 30 years.
Unfortunately, reality is our peak isn't as good as other teams peak.
Enjoy the entertainment, that the sport and the game brings.
Life is good.

An excuse or a reason?? Which is it?
Tigers have peaked 3 times in the last 40 years.
We've peaked every year bar half a dozen in the last 30 years.
Unfortunately, reality is our peak isn't as good as other teams peak.
Enjoy the entertainment, that the sport and the game brings.
Life is good.
Scott has given us an ‘out’ for a potential loss next week and finishing 9th is okay too. I think the messaging is wrong. But hey Scott is the intellectual one so let’s see…

Very happy with the win and the form of Stengle, Guthries, Close and Atkins and Stanley as non big names that are big barometers

Would still love to see Neale to give us a bail out kick long to crumb too as That’s not Hawks go and Cameron is a star but appears to play his elite best when not asked to be a CHF that our ball movement when under pressure goes through

I also think Neale gives us the option of blitz back if someone gets a hold of SDK (like a lynch) loving SDK but his is a pup and will get six kicked on him as part of his pathway to stardom at some stage

Stephens needs a bit of luck- he ALMOST had a few more contested clearances but didn’t fall his way to compliment a solidish game- I’m not as worried about his disposal as others he has the right technique and I’m sure his skills are fine at training- he looks like he just panicked a bit- he will start to feel comfortable eventually - he has had to wait for three years wondering if he was good enough- he goes hard- appears a good bloke and gives a s**t - let’s back him- probably squeezed out with full team so let’s enjoy watching him grow until then

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back