Preview Geelong board previews writers - expressions of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's time this came back.

This thread is to express your interest in writing a preview for one of the Geelong home and away games in 2023.

The process will involve writing a preview around the middle of the week (earlier if you like) that will be pasted into the OP of the week's preview thread.

If you are interested, post in this thread which round and match you want to write for and I will keep a list updated here. We will bump the thread each week to remind you who is due to write. - OP unabashedly stolen from catempire

Here's an example of one I did in 2016:

Post in thread 'Round 1 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Easter Monday 3:20pm' Preview - Round 1 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Easter Monday 3:20pm

It doesn't have to as extensive, just what you have time and commitment for.

cats_09 dazbroncos David the Cat winty hope you don't mind. Delete otherwise.

RD 1 v Collingwood - Mr Meow
RD 3 v Gold Coast - you pick one
RD 4 v Hawthorn - cats_09
RD 6 v Sydney - catstorm
RD 10 v Fremantle - Farmer2Goggin

Last edited:
I think it's time this came back.

This thread is to express your interest in writing a preview for one of the Geelong home and away games in 2023.

The process will involve writing a preview around the middle of the week (earlier if you like) that will be pasted into the OP of the week's preview thread.

If you are interested, post in this thread which round and match you want to write for and I will keep a list updated here. We will bump the thread each week to remind you who is due to write. - OP unabashedly stolen from catempire

Here's an example one one I did in 2016:

Post in thread 'Round 1 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Easter Monday 3:20pm' Preview - Round 1 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Easter Monday 3:20pm

It doesn't have to as extensive, just what you have time and commitment for.

cats_09 dazbroncos David the Cat winty hope you don't mind. Delete otherwise.
If this flies and I expect it will shotgun on Cats v Suns rd 3.

I love this idea and fully support it - great initiative to start this thread

I love Daz's previews, but also know how busy he can be at times and this will help take pressure of him to be writing every week

All I'd recommend is that you please allow a mod to still be the one to create the weekly thread as that ensures all well receive notification for it - we can then easily save the #2 post for the preview and also edit the opening post

These are great and make the process better for everyone no doubt.

They stopped thru lack of interest.

Would be thrilled for it to get going again but it requires the commitment of posters to not only step up and accept the task but then to also follow through with it.

I hope it plays out well.

GO Catters

I asked chatgpt to write a preview for the west coast game. It's NQR but we could let it roll:

Geelong Cats vs West Coast Eagles.​

Write a match preview for afl side Geelong cats against the West Coast Eagles at Adelaide oval:

Welcome to the match preview for the highly anticipated clash between the Geelong Cats and the West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval.
The Geelong Cats have been one of the most consistent teams in the AFL over the last decade, and they will be looking to continue their impressive form in this match. Led by superstar Patrick Dangerfield and with a strong supporting cast including Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins and Mitch Duncan, the Cats will be confident of securing a win against the Eagles.
On the other hand, the West Coast Eagles have had a mixed start to their 2023 campaign, winning two out of their first four matches. However, with a talented midfield including Luke Shuey, Elliot Yeo and Tim Kelly, as well as a potent forward line led by Josh Kennedy, the Eagles will be a formidable opponent for the Cats.
The match is set to be played at Adelaide Oval, which could give the Cats an advantage as they have played there several times before. However, the Eagles are no strangers to the ground either and will be looking to use their experience to their advantage.
Both teams have strong defenses, with Geelong's Tom Stewart and Mark Blicavs and West Coast's Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass among the best defenders in the league. It will be interesting to see which team can break through and score the crucial goals.
Overall, this promises to be an exciting and closely contested match between two top teams in the AFL. The Geelong Cats will be looking to continue their winning ways, while the West Coast Eagles will be determined to prove their worth as one of the best teams in the competition. Fans can expect an entertaining game of footy that could go down to the wire.

Also I asked chatgpt to write a poem about the Cats saints match

*AFL Match Preview.
Write a poem about the upcoming afl match between Geelong cats and St kilda saints.

The time draws near for the battle to begin,
A clash of wills, a test of skill and sinew.
The Geelong Cats and St Kilda Saints will grin,
As they prepare to face each other anew.

The field is set, the crowds are gathered round,
The air electric with excitement and cheers.
Each team is ready, their spirits tightly bound,
As they step onto the turf with grit and fears.

The Cats, sleek and agile, move with grace,
Their eyes fixed firmly on the prize ahead.
The Saints, fierce and determined, set the pace,
With hunger burning bright and hearts full of dread.

The ball is thrown, the game is on in earnest,
The players charge with all their might and skill.
With every move, the tension grows and earnest,
And all the while, the crowd roars with thrill.

As the battle rages on, each team fights hard,
With every pass and tackle, they strive to gain ground.
And as the clock ticks down, each team plays their card,
Hoping to score and turn the game around.

But in the end, only one team can prevail,
And as the final whistle blows, the victors rise.
The Cats may win, the Saints may fail,
But in the end, it's the thrill of the game that thrives.*

Bump...

Any more takers to write a preview for our upcoming matches
My preview for the Cats v Swans

1681743619056.png

Last time they met/history

1681743633774.png

Geelong vs Sydney a grand final rematch for the first time in AFL history, surprising only in that these two teams have been participants in 11 of the last 18 grand finals and never faced each other. But that doesn’t mean we didn’t have some history against the Bloods. In 2016 when they blocked the inevitable crowning of a new Geelong dynasty by stopping Dangerwood in its tracks in a devastating and unexpected Prelim final thrashing. Then a year later Geelong returned the favor by jumping the swans in a Semi when everyone saw the red-hot Swans as an unstoppable force. Who could forget a wet night in Sydney in 2005 when Nick Davis singlehandedly dragged his team over the line and left Mooney in tears.

However, in our most recent matchup a dominant and unstoppable Geelong obliterated Sydney in the game that matters most running away 81-point victors and lifting the Premiership cup for the first time in 11 years. A famous full stop to the career of Geelong’s greatest ever captain and leader. On that day Geelong could do no wrong and Sydney could do no right, as Sydney offered no fight or challenge before meekly slinking into the offseason. The joy and jubilation that was had at our expense for Buddy’s 1000th was cast side as Sydney and the great man himself proved to be irrelevant in the wake of Geelong’s dominance.

1681743669386.png

The season so far

1681743688592.png

Much has been made of Geelong’s poor start to the year, is it poor preparation, has the cliff finally found us, or has the team lost its way in the absence of a generational leader. I can make no predictions about the future of this season (My tipping can attest to that), but perhaps Geelong can turn the corner. We have surely seen flashes of the brilliance that led us to 16 wins in a row last year, a 5 minute burst here a 10 goal quarter there but not yet have we seen anything even resembling a full match performance. Geelong has dug itself out of awful start and is now only 1 win out of the 8, but this match certainly could prove to be a challenging test.

On the other side Sydney has been an inconsistent force, A strong start against Gold Coast and Hawthorn was undermined by a heavy defeat at the hands of Melbourne and an unexpected loss to a resurgent Port. While they did respond by heavily beating up on Richmond questions still remain of how Sydney will respond to that demoralizing grand final loss and what scars have been inflicted on this young list.

The pre-match

This match holds special significance for both clubs and both will be desperate for a win. Geelong is unfurling its 10th flag, waiting for this moment as if to rub it in the faces of Sydney. They also hoped to unveil a new state if the art stand however those plans have been extinguished by the constant delays.

You would be hard pressed to say Geelong is entering this match firing on all cylinders. Injury and form have created a slow start to the year but encouraging signs have shown several key players are starting to play their way back into form. Hawkins kicking 4 goals against West Coast is certainly a good sign as he has been almost a non-factor for the first 4 rounds of the season. Close also had an encouraging return to form and will look to continue that in this match. Geelong will be without Tyson Stengle and Rhys Stanley for the forceable future, and it will require several players to step up in their absence. Gary Rohan will be the likely inclusion for Stengle, however this raises concerns as this is not a like for like switch and might leave Geelong to tall in the forward line without adequate ground coverage. Perhaps Chris Scott and Geelong might pull a move from left field and throw in Ollie Dempsey and Rohan while relegating Henry to the Sub bench again? As for Stanley well it’s obviously going to be Ceglar and he just sucks, so yeah there’s that.

The Match

This match will start in a cagey fashion with both teams looking to figure each other out early, look for Sydney to give away some silly early frees in some faux tough guy act to get “revenge” for last year’s grand final.

This will be close run all day with multiple lead changes and runs from either team, one will be kicking clear only to be just kept in touch and then run down when momentum swings.

However, spurred on by a parochial crowd and playing at home for the first time this year Geelong will lift in the last 15 minutes to pull away from Sydney, matching them in wins for the year 3-3.

Geelong Wins by 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preview for the Cats v Swans

Last time they met/history

Geelong vs Sydney a grand final rematch for the first time in AFL history, surprising only in that these two teams have been participants in 11 of the last 18 grand finals and never faced each other. But that doesn’t mean we didn’t have some history against the Bloods. In 2016 when they blocked the inevitable crowning of a new Geelong dynasty by stopping Dangerwood in its tracks in a devastating and unexpected Prelim final thrashing. Then a year later Geelong returned the favor by jumping the swans in a Semi when everyone saw the red-hot Swans as an unstoppable force. Who could forget a wet night in Sydney in 2005 when Nick Davis singlehandedly dragged his team over the line and left Mooney in tears.

However, in our most recent matchup a dominant and unstoppable Geelong obliterated Sydney in the game that matters most running away 81-point victors and lifting the Premiership cup for the first time in 11 years. A famous full stop to the career of Geelong’s greatest ever captain and leader. On that day Geelong could do no wrong and Sydney could do no right, as Sydney offered no fight or challenge before meekly slinking into the offseason. The joy and jubilation that was had at our expense for Buddy’s 1000th was cast side as Sydney and the great man himself proved to be irrelevant in the wake of Geelong’s dominance.

The season so far

Much has been made of Geelong’s poor start to the year, is it poor preparation, has the cliff finally found us, or has the team lost its way in the absence of a generational leader. I can make no predictions about the future of this season (My tipping can attest to that), but perhaps Geelong can turn the corner. We have surely seen flashes of the brilliance that led us to 16 wins in a row last year, a 5 minute burst here a 10 goal quarter there but not yet have we seen anything even resembling a full match performance. Geelong has dug itself out of awful start and is now only 1 win out of the 8, but this match certainly could prove to be a challenging test.

On the other side Sydney has been an inconsistent force, A strong start against Gold Coast and Hawthorn was undermined by a heavy defeat at the hands of Melbourne and an unexpected loss to a resurgent Port. While they did respond by heavily beating up on Richmond questions still remain of how Sydney will respond to that demoralizing grand final loss and what scars have been inflicted on this young list.

The pre-match

This match holds special significance for both clubs and both will be desperate for a win. Geelong is unfurling its 10th flag, waiting for this moment as if to rub it in the faces of Sydney. They also hoped to unveil a new state if the art stand however those plans have been extinguished by the constant delays.

You would be hard pressed to say Geelong is entering this match firing on all cylinders. Injury and form have created a slow start to the year but encouraging signs have shown several key players are starting to play their way back into form. Hawkins kicking 4 goals against West Coast is certainly a good sign as he has been almost a non-factor for the first 4 rounds of the season. Close also had an encouraging return to form and will look to continue that in this match. Geelong will be without Tyson Stengle and Rhys Stanley for the forceable future, and it will require several players to step up in their absence. Gary Rohan will be the likely inclusion for Stengle, however this raises concerns as this is not a like for like switch and might leave Geelong to tall in the forward line without adequate ground coverage. Perhaps Chris Scott and Geelong might pull a move from left field and throw in Ollie Dempsey and Rohan while relegating Henry to the Sub bench again? As for Stanley well it’s obviously going to be Ceglar and he just sucks, so yeah there’s that.

The Match

This match will start in a cagey fashion with both teams looking to figure each other out early, look for Sydney to give away some silly early frees in some faux tough guy act to get “revenge” for last year’s grand final.

This will be close run all day with multiple lead changes and runs from either team, one will be kicking clear only to be just kept in touch and then run down when momentum swings.

However, spurred on by a parochial crowd and playing at home for the first time this year Geelong will lift in the last 15 minutes to pull away from Sydney, matching them in wins for the year 3-3.

Geelong Wins by 20

Cheers - will get this moved to the preview thread 👍

I completely forgot about this amongst quite a difficult time for me - I really apologise that I dropped the ball!

All good - I think Daz enjoyed writing one to start the season

I hope things are going better for you and if you decide there's an upcoming round you'd like to write one for, let us know

Good afternoon all,

Any further takers to write previews for the second half of the season?

I'd be interested - would have to be post-bye as work's a bit hectic for the next few weeks.

Any particular game you'd like done?

And any special process we need to follow?

I'd be interested - would have to be post-bye as work's a bit hectic for the next few weeks.

Any particular game you'd like done?

And any special process we need to follow?

1) We don't currently have any preview writers for games after the bye, if there's a game in particular you'd like to write for then select away - especially if there's an opponent you look forward to facing.

That's my thinking behind putting my hand up for our Easter Monday clash; it's a game I love attending and decided I wanted to write a preview for

2) We don't have any set processes or specific way of previewing games. Some will create little games headings/sections such as "State of Play", "Game Style", "Key Stats", "Key Matchups" etc, and then fill in under each

For me, I'll often write paragraph by paragraph. When I have time to plan it, I try to follow a story but when it's like today and I'm throwing something together last minute, it's often just a random array of thoughts that hopefully make some sort of sense

1) We don't currently have any preview writers for games after the bye, if there's a game in particular you'd like to write for then select away - especially if there's an opponent you look forward to facing.

That's my thinking behind putting my hand up for our Easter Monday clash; it's a game I love attending and decided I wanted to write a preview for

2) We don't have any set processes or specific way of previewing games. Some will create little games headings/sections such as "State of Play", "Game Style", "Key Stats", "Key Matchups" etc, and then fill in under each

For me, I'll often write paragraph by paragraph. When I have time to plan it, I try to follow a story but when it's like today and I'm throwing something together last minute, it's often just a random array of thoughts that hopefully make some sort of sense
Tell you what, I wasn't going to, but I'll chuck my hand up for Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back