Sunday 15 April
2:00pm
Anthony Costa Oval (Kardinia Park)

VFLW Practice Match 3 v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 21 April
12:40pm
GMHBA Stadium

For those interested....

Celebrate the start of the VFLW season by joining the Geelong Cats players at Market Square this weekend. Meet and greet the 2018 VFLW players, with the opportunity to get your photo taken and a signature. Plus, join the handball competition with plenty of prizes up for grabs, including a VFLW Junior Mascot experience, $200 Market Square gift voucher, signed footballs and more.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-04-12/meet-the-vflw-cats-players-at-market-square

Write up of last Sunday's practice match:

Geelong’s VFLW side has claimed their first win of season 2018 with a comprehensive 53-point win over the Southern Saints at Anthony Costa Oval.

The game got underway just prior to the AFL match at GMHBA Stadium in just the second time that all 3 Geelong sides (AFL, VFL and VFLW) have played on the same day at the same ground.

Both sides struggled early in the trying conditions, as they adjusted to the wet and windy conditions. Geelong, however, were the first to adjust, with forward Kate Darby kicking two goals in the second term to break the game open and stretch the lead out to 28 points at half time.

It was all Geelong in the second half, with the home team kicking six goals to two to run out 53-point winners. Kate Darby and Alisha Habib kicked three goals each, while Hannah Mangan and Hayley Trevean impressed all day.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-04-16/vflw-cats-down-saints

To elaborate more on the game, we were without AFLW players Lily Mithen, Erin Hoare, Anna Teague and Maddy Boyd, yet dominated.

What really impressed me was the link up run through the midfield as well as the defensive pressure. After quarter time, you could probably count on one hand how many times the Bulldogs got the ball inside their forward 50. The tackling was superb and once we got the ball going forward, the wall we put up across half forward was almost impossible to penetrate.

One thing that really stood out for me watching today was how often we'd put our head over the ball or back into packs and take marks. I remember watching last year and you could tell which players weren't from a footballing background as they'd be apprehensive when approaching a ball on the ground with an opponent in the vicinity. Don't think we did that once today.

Player wise, you can see why people compare Cranston to Danger and Dusty. Just so powerful breaking out of packs in the middle. Roosted a footy from about 55m out that cleared the pack about 20m out and bounced through for a goal. Kate Darby is such a good kick for goal. I can see why she was our leading goalscorer last year despite playing about half the season in defence. Has a good overhead mark and kicked 2-3 goals from about 40-45m out which went through half post height. I have been critical of Alisha Habib in the past, but she played well today. Took two strong marks in a one-on-one contest and finished up with a couple of goals, and probably had a hand in 2-3 more.

Hard to judge the strength of the opposition, but once we bring in the quartet mentioned earlier, plus possibly Jordan Ivey later in the season if she has a successful comeback from her knee injury last season, we could be in for a good season ahead.

The Geelong Cats have named a seven person player leadership group for the 2018 VFLW season.

Bec Goring will return as captain for a second consecutive season, while Renee Garing will take up the vice-captaincy. Hayley Trevean, Richelle Cranston, Anna Teague, Kate Darby and Mia-Rae Clifford round out the group.

“It is an honour to lead this team and to work with such an exceptional group,” Goring said.

“Last season was a great first year for the club, and we are all looking at building upon that success and to continue to improve as players and as a team. We have a number of new players that are learning what it is to be a Geelong player, and we think they have fitted in well to our program.

“While there is a lot of excitement around the club’s entry to the 2019 AFLW competition, our focus now is on the VFLW season ahead. We know the competition is tougher and we will need to keep improving to challenge for a higher finish on the ladder.

“Our squad is passionate and committed and proud to wear the jumper.”

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-04-28/cats-announce-vflw-leadership-group

VFLW squad has been announced (on the VFL website that is, still not up on the GFC website surprise surprise). One name missing - Lily Mithen. Guess she's following Daisy Pearce's lead and giving this season a miss, since she'd have had 2 AFLW and 1 VFLW season back to back over the last 18 months.

A work colleague of mine is ecstatic as her daughter's been named in the squad after playing for the Falcons' girls team last year.

Full squad here: http://vfl.com.au/wp-content/upload...sse-Wellness-VFL-Womens-lists-games-goals.pdf

winty thanks for posting the team squads -I've just messaged a former work colleague of mine who was hopeful house niece would get a spot as she'd been training with the squad earlier this year.

One name that caught my attention was Lily Brancatisano who I decided to look up info on regarding family linkage - with the women's Supercats basketball team we have had an Izzy Brancatisano in the team for a few years, last year Charlie Brancatisano (younger sister) joined the team and just this past Saturday when I went to Ballarat to watch the matches that was another newbie with Madelaine Brancatisano who is another sister.

Looking up info on Lily, last year she played for the Northern Knights in the inaugural TAC Girls Cup last year and was their inaugural captain; and playing along side her was sister Madeline.

Not sure if there's any other sisters or brothers to come along, but regardless to have 4 siblings all achieving in their sporting endeavours is great to see

Team for Round 1 vs Melbourne Uni @ GMHBA Stadium, Sunday May 6 at 12.30pm

B: 19. Emily Ramsay, 44. Rebecca Goring, 16. Lara Williams
HB: 25. Elise Coventry, 26. Rebecca Pearce, 34. Amy McDonald
C: 3. Hannah Burchell, 12. Renee Garing, 7. Mia-Rae Clifford
HF: 17. Hannah Mangan, 2. Danielle Orr, 21. Emma Oliver
F: 28. Michelle Fedele, 8. Kate Darby, 32. Alisha Habib
R: 41. Courtney Stevens, 30. Richelle Cranston, 33. Hayley Trevean
Int: 23. Isabel Currenti, 13. Maighan Fogas, 15. Maddison Janssen, 35. Krista Woodroffe
Emg: 22. Bianca Cheever, 36. Evelyn Dhamarrandji, 10. Laura Taylor
23P: 24. Madaleine McMahon

Team for Round 1 vs Melbourne Uni @ GMHBA Stadium, Sunday May 6 at 12.30pm

B: 19. Emily Ramsay, 44. Rebecca Goring, 16. Lara Williams
HB: 25. Elise Coventry, 26. Rebecca Pearce, 34. Amy McDonald
C: 3. Hannah Burchell, 12. Renee Garing, 7. Mia-Rae Clifford
HF: 17. Hannah Mangan, 2. Danielle Orr, 21. Emma Oliver
F: 28. Michelle Fedele, 8. Kate Darby, 32. Alisha Habib
R: 41. Courtney Stevens, 30. Richelle Cranston, 33. Hayley Trevean
Int: 23. Isabel Currenti, 13. Maighan Fogas, 15. Maddison Janssen, 35. Krista Woodroffe
Emg: 22. Bianca Cheever, 36. Evelyn Dhamarrandji, 10. Laura Taylor
23P: 24. Madaleine McMahon

Interesting Teague isn't playing - hopefully it's just a week's rest rather than an injury issue

Interesting Teague isn't playing - hopefully it's just a week's rest rather than an injury issue

Would say it's more a rest - noticed Erin Hoare and Maddie Boyd haven't been named either.

Eight players will make their debut in the blue and white hoops on Sunday when the Cats host Melbourne University in round one of the VFLW at GMHBA Stadium.

Debutants: Rebecca Pearce, Amy McDonald, Mia-Rae Clifford, Maddy McMahon, Emma Oliver, Isy Currenti, Maighan Fogas and Courtney Stevens.

Clifford, Pearce and Oliver all have previous VFLW experience, while Currenti, Fogas, McDonald and Stevens have played at community level and will get their first taste of VFLW football this Sunday.

McMahon is a recent convert to football, having previously played high level local netball and basketball.

The match is a double-feature on GMHBA Stadium this Sunday, with a Super clinic featuring every Auskick centre in the region taking place before the game. It should make for a fun and vibrant atmosphere and is a great opportunity to expose young football participants to elite female football.

Samantha Lane will be attending the match and will be available to meet fans and sign copies of her award-winning book, Roar, from 11.30am to 12.15pm.

Lane will address the playing group after the match, sharing her experiences and learnings from her involvement in the first two years of the elite national competition.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-05-04/vflw-eight-cats-to-debut-in-round-one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw one of the worst umpiring decisions I've ever seen in today's match. A Melbourne Uni player took a mark, ran off their line, got tackled, dropped the ball and the umpire called play on. Astonishing.

Saw one of the worst umpiring decisions I've ever seen in today's match. A Melbourne Uni player took a mark, ran off their line, got tackled, dropped the ball and the umpire called play on. Astonishing.

Do they have Male/Female umpires for the woman games?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few nuff nuffs on our Board (me included) have an issue with our Club not putting up a full replay our VFL games.

Out of interest do you get to see a replay of your VFL games?

A few nuff nuffs on our Board (me included) have an issue with our Club not putting up a full replay our VFL games.

You’re kidding right?

We’re lucky to get a 30 sec goals video and a sketchy match report.

Most info we can hope for outside of going to a game is from a poster or 2 posting their views on the game

You’re kidding right?

We’re lucky to get a 30 sec goals video and a sketchy match report.

Most info we can hope for outside of going to a game is from a poster or 2 posting their views on the game

Wow I thought it was just us.

All the games are recorded I don't understand what is so hard about uploading it the next day.

Thanks for the reply terry_bright.

Wow I thought it was just us.

All the games are recorded I don't understand what is so hard about uploading it the next day.

Thanks for the reply terry_bright.

I agree. A raw unedited replay would keep many happy.

In fact on vfl match day (when it’s the pies v cats) I ’ll head to the pies website as your coverage is often far superior to anything we do.

I agree. A raw unedited replay would keep many happy.

In fact on vfl match day (when it’s the pies v cats) I ’ll head to the pies website as your coverage is often far superior to anything we do.

The bolded above is all we are after.

The Bullants in round one televised the game live on YouTube against us.
One Camera.......No commentators.........with a sponsors name in the left hand corner.
We aren't asking for too much.

It can't be that hard?!? :drunk:

Do we have a VFL team? o_O

We get SFA. Actually less than that.
I luv the GFC but we are s**t. I live in LA and trying to follow the VFL progress and get info is like pointless.

We get nothing

GO Catters

Ive even suggested with 50k members if you add a one time $5.00 VFL surcharge to membership you'd get 250,000.00.

That would MORE than cover infrastructure costs for Home game VFL coverage in recording, streaming and staffing it. Add in yuo get media students from the Deakin Media course to work it for course credit... and its a no brainer.

but still nothing..lol

If every team took care of home game coverage the season would be completely covered.

But yes, Tigers and Pies coverage is the Mercedes Benz S500 compared to our Leyland P76 :(:thumbsdown:

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back