Review Cats keep season alive with 12 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And people on this board have Bruhn and Atkins in the votes
Most supporters recognise our mids are getting beaten in the centre convincingly.

yet we still keep raving about our mids doing a great job. :think:

Our mids are getting beaten week after week. They are doing poorly. Atkins, bruhn, blicavs, oconner, holmes and danger. Are getting beaten week in week out.

Most supporters recognise our mids are getting beaten in the centre convincingly.

yet we still keep raving about our mids doing a great job. :think:

Our mids are getting beaten week after week. They are doing poorly. Atkins, bruhn, blicavs, oconner, holmes and danger. Are getting beaten week in week out.

Haven't seen anyone 'raving'.....everyone has been pretty honest about the fact our MF is getting beaten I reckon.

Update

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (only multiples included):

1. Tom Stewart (10)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (6)
3. Jeremy Cameron (5)
3. Tom Hawkins (5)
3. Gryan Miers (5)
3. Tom Atkins (5)
7. Esava Ratugolea (4)
7. Max Holmes (4)
7. Mark Blicavs (4)
10. Brad Close (3)
10. Isaac Smith (3)
12. Mitch Duncan (2)
12. Gary Rohan (2)
12. Oliver Henry (2)
12. Mark O'Connor (2)

Or expressed as % of full games played this season (not counting mid-game injury contests):

1. Tom Stewart (10/18 = 56%)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (6/16 = 38%)
3. Esava Ratugolea (4/13 = 31%)
4. Jeremy Cameron (5/17 = 29%)
5. Tom Hawkins (5/18 = 28%)
6. Gryan Miers (5/20 = 25%)
6. Tom Atkins (5/20 = 25%)
8. Max Holmes (4/17 = 24%)
9. Mark Blicavs (4/18 = 22%)
10. Brad Close (3/19 = 16%)
10. Isaac Smith (3/19 = 16%)
12. Gary Rohan (2/13 = 15%)
13. Mitch Duncan (2/14 = 14%)
14. Mark O'Connor (2/18 = 11%)
14. Oliver Henry (2/18 = 11%)

Stewart's domination continues even without votes against Port.

We have a surprising player move into the top 3 of the consistency table! Well done Esava.

Cooked, injured, can't even be bothered anymore Dangerfield into #2 on both tables. Broken back but not broken spirit?

Miers making a charge that was justified earlier. Although I will say his previous 2 games were a step below what he gave us Saturday and it is very clear he is now a barometer player for us.

I assume Bews is fit? He should definitely come in to play on Elliott next week, W Rioli had so much space on Saturday night and I fear Elliott will kick six on us if he is afforded the same.

Bews is way out of form.

I think zuthrie needs that matchup.

I actually think we will do ok in the midfield but our delivery inside 50 must be spot on. Whoever has that spud frampton on him must lead hard and repeat at the ball carrier and we must play through him and not kick it in the air near moores area. Whoever gets him needs to play a very good selfless role so he cant intercept because he is elite at it and their run from half back is elite. We need to apply a lot of pressure in our front half to close off exits and force them up the line otherwise they will burn us on the outside.

I agree, it's so interesting to see it happen (I dont often go to live games), and you wonder how the coaches adjust this mid-game.

Often we were sucked into the ball as it was leaving our F50 and we congregated on a wing (near the interchange) and Port just held their mids and small backs just behind the ball along the 50m line. The second that their the plus one advantage midfield was able to clear the ball out, they had players streaming forward directly at their F50; while our players were sprinting to chase the ball from the wing (and will always lose that race as the ball is flying forwards). It meant that their forwards were able to run towards goal, and then double back for a very easy chest mark at 45m directly in front.

I thought Hinkley used the length of the ground to his advantage; and rarely tried to make it a game about the width of the ground - which most teams do, and then they get crowded or kick out on the full (they did very few from memory).

I also think that Blicavs big body and defensive utility was sorely missed as 1) he would be able to run into defensive positions where the ball was going (if it got out as a clearance) and just block space - so that Port would have slowed down or gone sideways. 2) And if it was a contest on the wing, his general size and baskeball defensive handspeed would often prevent a clearance just flying out like they were on Saturday night. 3) Getting it out of our D50 became near impossible at some stages without him there as a marking player. We had to move Esava out so he could run at the ball carrier to try and get the get out of jail mark. For a while, it was reminding me of 2020 and 2021 where we were so methodical bringing it out of the D50, and it was our undoing as all teams had to do was pressure us and the ball went straight back into the F50.
Please go to more games. :)

Lingy and Dewyane Russell are the worst. However I do like Ling and Meghan McDonald on the pidcast.
Ling is broadcast booth muzak. Almost no content, just fills air time, by design of the producers.
Whenever he has a gig with one of the more biased caller, they should just unleash him and let him comment as he really sees it. Would be much more entertaining than the weak vanilla boys club garbage currently being put out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He averages 3.3 turnovers a game. Not great but Atkins, Holmes and Bruhn turn it over a lot more.

And only Stewart has picked up coaches votes more frequently than Dangerfield. He's been inconsistent within games but even within the last 3 weeks he almost dragged us to a comeback win late Vs Brisbane, had 3 goal assists Vs Freo and was huge in the second half against Port.

Only Hawkins, Cameron and Miers have more score involvements per game and they play way more minutes. He trails only Miers for goal assists per game and is our go-to midfield goal kicker.

The criticism is overblown at times.
Honestly the criticism of Dangerfield among the Geelong faithful is ridiculous.

The guy pretty clearly bleeds blue and white, and has almost single handedly kept us in the top four since 2016.

He is 33, had a very limited pre-season, coming off a nasty rib injury, playing 70% of each game and still dragged us to a win this week.

Honestly the criticism of Dangerfield among the Geelong faithful is ridiculous.

The guy pretty clearly bleeds blue and white, and has almost single handedly kept us in the top four since 2016.

He is 33, had a very limited pre-season, coming off a nasty rib injury, playing 70% of each game and still dragged us to a win this week.
His prelim and grand final last year were also astounding. The best combination of the two ive seen from a geelong player since 1989.

Both were clearly in the best
No they werent. They were beaten by their opponents in the middle despite stanley giving them silver service.

they are getting more of the pill then they were earlier in the season. So they have improved. But their opponents are getting even more and thus beating them.

Last edited:
Update

Here is the leaderboard for number of times listed in the coaches votes (only multiples included):

1. Tom Stewart (10)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (6)
3. Jeremy Cameron (5)
3. Tom Hawkins (5)
3. Gryan Miers (5)
3. Tom Atkins (5)
7. Esava Ratugolea (4)
7. Max Holmes (4)
7. Mark Blicavs (4)
10. Brad Close (3)
10. Isaac Smith (3)
12. Mitch Duncan (2)
12. Gary Rohan (2)
12. Oliver Henry (2)
12. Mark O'Connor (2)

Or expressed as % of full games played this season (not counting mid-game injury contests):

1. Tom Stewart (10/18 = 56%)
2. Patrick Dangerfield (6/16 = 38%)
3. Esava Ratugolea (4/13 = 31%)
4. Jeremy Cameron (5/17 = 29%)
5. Tom Hawkins (5/18 = 28%)
6. Gryan Miers (5/20 = 25%)
6. Tom Atkins (5/20 = 25%)
8. Max Holmes (4/17 = 24%)
9. Mark Blicavs (4/18 = 22%)
10. Brad Close (3/19 = 16%)
10. Isaac Smith (3/19 = 16%)
12. Gary Rohan (2/13 = 15%)
13. Mitch Duncan (2/14 = 14%)
14. Mark O'Connor (2/18 = 11%)
14. Oliver Henry (2/18 = 11%)

Stewart's domination continues even without votes against Port.

We have a surprising player move into the top 3 of the consistency table! Well done Esava.

Cooked, injured, can't even be bothered anymore Dangerfield into #2 on both tables. Broken back but not broken spirit?

Miers making a charge that was justified earlier. Although I will say his previous 2 games were a step below what he gave us Saturday and it is very clear he is now a barometer player for us.
Rubbish. Stewarts out of form this season. :drunk:

Rubbish. Stewarts out of form this season. :drunk:

I'd say indifferent rather than simply out of form, especially since the bye

Not sure the knee injury in round 1 helped, and at times I wonder if it's still having an impact as the knee is still strapped - so maybe post season surgery/clean up is already planned

Not sure he makes the AA team this year

Here we go with the throwing of extra shade on Danger. Had the the temerity to speak the obvious, on his personal extra motivation to drag his chronically injured body through the pain barrier. That segues into a discussion on his worth as Captain, and his failing skills. Go and ask the players and Club what they think. Or if you're a dinosaur, or have no medical knowledge, then develop some empathy for a chosen Captain, who as late as last Saturday, saved our arses.
Legendary post!

Easier said than done for most of us sadly :oops:
Tell me about it. Time, distance, and money :(
One of my final eight bucket list items is going to Oz and watching a game. Piss on the opera house, that big ass rock or the fricken koalas, give me a seat at KP for Cats game. :thumbsu::D

I'd say indifferent rather than simply out of form, especially since the bye

Not sure the knee injury in round 1 helped, and at times I wonder if it's still having an impact as the knee is still strapped - so maybe post season surgery/clean up is already planned

Not sure he makes the AA team this year
I want to preface this with a declaration that I'm relaxed, chilled out and not trying to ruin the vibe.

Stewart featured 6 times in the coaches votes last year, compared to 10 times already this season. He also has considerably more votes and Geelong BOGs in total.

Not getting suspended for a month in itself has made this season an improvement (our season would be over if that happened this year).

Taking out the Collingwood game (injured start of game), he has averaged more disposals, effective disposals, contested possessions, tackles, every type of mark and rebound 50s this season than 2022 and only 0.4 less intercepts a game.

He came 9th in the B&F last season. I'm expecting an improvement this year.

Except thats not true. People are raving about how great atkins and blicavs are as individuals. Bruhn as well to a lesser degree. They are all getting beaten week in week out.
I agree to a certain extent. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're getting beaten week in week out, but they are beatable and have had their pants pulled down a few times, particularly against Brisbane a few weeks back.

I think people admire Atkins without admitting to his shortcomings. He reminds me a bit of Ratugolea - in that he has his one-wood which is superb (for Atkins, it's ground contests, for Ratugolea it's pack marking), but his other skills are very limited. Particularly for Atkins, that means his disposal and his ability to spread and win "easy" ball. Blicavs has great defensive attributes, but obviously isn't as coordinated as the best mids.

Bruhn is clearly a more talented player than either, but one thing which is worth bearing in mind is that he doesn't get anything like the same amount of game time as the others.

His prelim and grand final last year were also astounding. The best combination of the two ive seen from a geelong player since 1989.
His QF was pretty good too, IMO - he was held back in quarters one, two and three, and he and (funny enough) Atkins made a huge difference in the last 20 minutes.

His Grand Final was astonishing. Isaac Smith was good, but Dangerfield was BOG by so far it wasn't funny IMO. It's a shame he didn't win it, because I think that would have legitimised him in the eyes of a lot of supporters.

One of my final eight bucket list items is going to Oz and watching a game. Piss on the opera house, that big ass rock or the fricken koalas, give me a seat at KP for Cats game. :thumbsu::D
Please piss on the Opera House, that would be hilarious.

(I suspect that doing it on the Rock would get you hung, drawn and quartered in the court of Public Opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back