AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder when 7 are going to give us air time to push our AFLW bid on national TV. Noticed they've allowed Richmond and Essendon previously, and they were talking to the people behind North Melbourne's and St.Kilda's bids at half time tonight.

Wonder when 7 are going to give us air time to push our AFLW bid on national TV. Noticed they've allowed Richmond and Essendon previously, and they were talking to the people behind North Melbourne's and St.Kilda's bids at half time tonight.

I think it will happen the same week that a supposedly contentious incident in an AFL match involving one of our players is glossed over by the commentary team as 'not worthy of further attention' and/or 'nothing to see here, move along'.

That seems like the most pertinent definition of 'never' I can think of right now.

Since Boxhead_31 beat me to the announcement of our bid for 2019, I'll just post our VFLW side for this week against VU Western Spurs in Footscray on Sunday...

CATS TEAM

Backs: Jaime Woollett, Bec Goring (captain), Lara Williams

Half-backs: Elise Coventry, Anna Teague, Krista Woodroffe

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Renee Garing, Elise Strachan

Half-forwards: Danielle Higgins, Maddie Boyd, Maddie Janssen

Forwards: Hannah Mangan, Alisha Habib, Kate Darby

Followers: Erin Hoare, Cassie Blakeway, Lily Mithen

Interchange: Emily Crawford, Laura Taylor, Emily Ramsay, Hayley Trevean

Emergencies: Cassandra Hynes, Madisen Maguire, Helen Florance, Brooke Surgeon, Michelle Fedele

Erin Hoare will be making her debut in the hoops this week. Erin's a former national level netballer, having played for the Melbourne Vixens and Sydney Swifts. She'd probably be one of, if not the tallest player in the league, standing 193cm tall. Will be interesting to see how she goes.

The game will be broadcast on "Girls play footy radio", or 89.1 FM, and also streamed live on the tune in app.
It's awesome that the chicks are getting coverage and its fully deserved and warranted.

It however does make the coverage of the VFL team look shoddy and third rate.

Hope they fix that.

GO Catters

For those interested and heading to the Geelong-Freo match on Sunday, the women's team will be playing a "curtain-raiser" on the adjacent St.Mary's Oval from about 11.30am before the AFL game.

Watching that, anyone thinking that others have been promised a gig. Kate Sheahan basically confirms that we will be getting a gig.
I'd say a Geelong team is an absolute lock

That comment about the travel being a factor against us was a load of BS, especially when you consider we had girls come from up near the Murray and even interstate just to try out for the VFLW team.

That comment about the travel being a factor against us was a load of BS, especially when you consider we had girls come from up near the Murray and even interstate just to try out for the VFLW team.
Nor is it even the main point of doubt in my mind - that comes down to whether or not the Melbourne bids from big clubs are strong enough to snare the Victorian places on offer.

Our selected side vs current ladder leaders and reigning premiers Melbourne Uni @ St.Mary's Oval on Sunday June 25 at 10.45am

Backs: Cassandra Hynes, Bec Goring (captain), Lara Williams

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Elise Strachan, Jaime Woollett

Interchange: Renee Garing, Laura Taylor, Emily Ramsay, Hayley Trevean

Emergencies: Emma Allen, Cheryl de Groot, Helen Florance

Our selected side vs current ladder leaders and reigning premiers Melbourne Uni @ St.Mary's Oval on Sunday June 25 at 10.45am

Backs: Cassandra Hynes, Bec Goring (captain), Lara Williams

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Elise Strachan, Jaime Woollett

Interchange: Renee Garing, Laura Taylor, Emily Ramsay, Hayley Trevean

Emergencies: Emma Allen, Cheryl de Groot, Helen Florance

Game will also be covered live on RSN Carnival. That's digital radio in Melbourne or via the website rsn.net.au/digital-radio

Any analysis of the other clubs?

Be a lot of explaining to do by the AFL if it doesn't get up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched a little bit of the game today before the boy got bored and wanted to go see the Krock tent and stuff.

Geez these girls have some attitude, don't know why I was suprised... but I was really surprised with the chatter and lip just from the small part I watched.
Also little Mithen will be a gun, she makes the right decisions very quickly and works super hard both ways.

Here's the team for our VFLW side's clash vs St.Kilda @ Deakin University this Sunday from 1pm:

CATS TEAM

Backs: Laura Taylor, Bec Goring (captain), Lara Williams

Centres: Elise Strachan, Hayley Trevean, Jaime Woollett

Half-forwards: Danielle Higgins, Maddie Boyd, Michelle Fedele

Forwards: Hannah Mangan, Richelle Cranston, Kate Darby

Interchange: Renee Garing, Cassandra Hynes, Emily Ramsay, Hannah Burchell

Emergencies: Emma Delaney, Riley Shapter, Brooke Surgeon

IN: Richelle Cranston, Michelle Fedele
OUT: Madisen Janssen (ankle), Alisha Habib (rested)

Richelle Cranston makes her VFLW debut after playing 6 games for Melbourne in the AFLW.

Read on FB earlier today apparently Mo Hope has walked out on the St.Kilda VFLW side. That's one player we won't have to worry about on Sunday.
The game probably clashed with a book signing or something

Just got home from the game. Ended up losing by 8 points, 4.0.24 to 4.8.32. Was a fairly good effort since the ball was trapped in St.Kilda's forward line for most of the game.

They had a wall of about 5-6 players unguarded across the middle of the ground, and we'd just kick wildly forward and hit one of them on the chest. On the few occasions we did get the ball through we looked dangerous.

We were trailing pretty much all afternoon, but did manage to pull level halfway through the last quarter, before St.Kilda had the last 3 scoring shots.

Good luck to the AFL if they wish to deny us a licence again - I'd like to see them try to justify it:

The first significant move was made when it was announced that the Geelong Cats would take the Magpies’ place in the VFLW last October.

The Cats have three wins and four losses so far this season, already a significant increase on the 2-16 record the Magpies wound up with last season...

...Needless to say, Geelong is streets ahead of where it was expected to be just one year ago, but the VFLW results are only a small piece of the puzzle.

Off the field, the team has garnered the support of over 500 fans who have purchased VFLW team memberships.

The memberships costs either $40 for existing Cats members or $50 for non-members. At worst, the women’s team would’ve generated $20,000 in membership money, an unprecedented number for a women’s state team.

The AFL Goldfields Women’s League began this year, and the top tier senior women’s competition hosts 12 teams.

On top of the league’s ladder is the undefeated North Geelong Magpies, who still have strong connections with the Cats.

In fact, the entire competition is effectively a football factory for aspiring VFLW/AFLW players.

Speaking of football factories, the Geelong Falcons finished third in the inaugural TAC Cup Girls competition this year, and five players were selected to represent Vic Country in this year’s Under-18 National Championships.

http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...long-cats-a-lock-to-receive-an-aflw-team.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back