Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
?

QF: 13 touches, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 0.5

SF: 17 touches, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 4.1

PF: 12 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 11 HO, 2.3

GF: 10 touches, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1.2

Unfortunately, he was rather inaccurate, but 7 goals and 18 scoring shots in 4 finals games isn't average.

Hopefully, we get better entries to him and Cameron helps some of the load he was required to carry.

In general he had a pretty good finals series, woefully wasteful in the QF aside.
Problem I thought with his GF game was we cannot have him making even small mistakes, he really has to play close to a perfect game for us to be in a place to win that flag and unfortunately he didn't (which isn't a knock, it's laughable we play a system that requires it IMO).
2 misses he'd normally kick (1 after he again rushed a snap), 1 dropped chest mark and 1 time not talking and having Dahl spoil a simple mark.

But again, that "knock" on his performance is more a symptom of our system, and not directed at Tom himself.

Glad to see sanity prevail

Geelong midfielder Patrick Dangerfield has avoided any penalty after his collision with Richmond's Nick Vlastuin that left the Tiger with concussion

Incident assessed:

The incident between Geelong Cats' Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Nick Vlastuin from the first quarter of Saturday's game between Richmond and the Geelong Cats was assessed. The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions. Dangerfield punches the ball and in the process makes high contact to Vlastuin. It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken.
If it was a "normal" Geelong assessment he would have got 3 down to 2 with blah blah blah.

Another example of that was the reaction following the Dangerfield/Vlastuin clash - how many on social media were (and still are) calling for Dangerfield to be suspended for somewhere between 6 & 10 weeks for a deliberate elbow to the head, an apparent double action (which really isn't noticeable at full speed) and now calling Dangerfield a protected species as he hasn't been suspended for half of next season

Compare that with the reaction of the players - I can't remember one Richmond player remonstrating with Dangerfield following what happened; so while no one was happy with what happened or the outcome, no one day reason to go after Dangerfield either, and surely that indicates an understanding that it was accidental & part of the game.

There seems to be an understanding between players regarding a difference between football actions that cause injury, and acting outside of that - the latter tends to see a reaction from the teammates of the downed player

I think players out there know when something is dirty or not. I've always pointed out that when Ablett senior ran through Dipper in 1989 not one Hawthorn player even remotely remonstrated. At that time what he did was perfectly fine.

Just like two years earlier at the Oval when Carlton players were lining up to get Clarkson. They know better than anyone else.

LOL.

Either this is a troll post or you're drunk out of your mind.

This current Tigers side would get obliterated by our 2007-2011 side. It wouldn't even be close. The fact that you're even comparing the two sides is an utter joke. If you go through line by line there isn't a single line in which this Richmond side is better.

Ridiculous comparison.

Ling would have tagged the #&@! out of Martin and got 20 touches and a goal himself.

Having some time to process the loss I’ve come up with this -

Yes the loss hurts. Of course it does. Getting so close but not winning it is a kick in the guys. I think instead of wondering about missed opportunities and what could have been, we should look at the team we played. I don’t like Richmond. I never have. And I never will. I hate their game style as it’s a cross between rugby and aus kick and their supporters can be hard to deal with.

But you have to respect and admire them. They are a bloody good team. Their game plan works for them. They’ve won 3/4 flags and they really should have 2018 as well.
Yes we played a great first half. But a great team will torch you if you don’t put them away.
They may not have the names we did in our glory years. Or Brisbane. Or even Hawthorn. But it’s the way they play as a TEAM Which makes them so good. They are completely selfless. They know the game plan inside out and believe it. They believe they can win every game.
It’s a shame we ran into them at this time. There is absolutely no shame at all losing to a better team. We are good enough to beat anyone except them. Same for the saints 09. They are incredibly unlucky they ran into us.
The challenge for Geelong next year is can we learn from it and play as a completely selfless team and just have belief?
Unfortunately we won’t know the answer to that until this time next year.

Taken into perspective, yes it bloody hurts. It’s devastating. But not as bad as 2008. That year we were the best. Not by a little bit but by a long way. That loss will haunt me forever. It will haunt every cats fan forever.
Our job as supporters and members is to support the club. There’s no point going into a GF or a season thinking you can’t win. I used to. I’ve changed my mindset.
You have to believe your team can win or there is absolutely no point in supporting them at all.
I’m going into next year looking forward to playing the Tigers on the MCG in the last day in September and winning.
Will it happen? Who knows.
But I believe they will.

PLe

Please it was the man at Bendigo Bank that came up with the way out. And by the way we still have a debt. Like then it is called the "Stands'. And as for not going back to a rebuild why should that affect the finances. We will still be Members, at east that is what many on this Board keep saying, because it is about the club.
And I seem to remember that we didn't ream in heaps of $s or members after our success 07-11. They couldn't even keep the Cat Shop open for the Annual Meeting in 2007 when we were so excited and would have bought anything available.
So that's what I'm talking about is it,news to me.My reference was to Cooky going around Geelong businesses and the Western District rattling the tin for club donations and sponsor ship to the stage if you ask him people were crossing the road when they seen him coming,that's about 5 years back?.Rattling the tin is not renegotiating loans.

Dude, there are heaps more, can you get better footage of Martin's third quarter goal? The goal ump remains hunched with a strange look, well after the ball was was past him, did it hit the post. Martin's last goal, was Stanley lying that he touched the ball, or did he? Danger got pulled down by grimes in the 3rd, only footage I can see is from a distance, BT just saying 'Danger looses his footing', or something like that. In the 3rd qtr, I ended up counting at least 6 times Richmond purposefully dropped the ball when about to be tackled.
I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to watch the foxtel replay? 7's coverage was weak as.
BT is a fool and he was barracking for Richmond during his commentary. How does a clown like that gets to call the grand final?

You are kidding, aren’t you? After quarter time Kolo shut Charlie Cameron completely out of the game in the prelim, and in the semi he beat De Goey.
Did the ball even get down there though? Supply was completely cut off to those players up the field. Martin did little in the first half for the same reason.

You are kidding, aren’t you? After quarter time Kolo shut Charlie Cameron completely out of the game in the prelim, and in the semi he beat De Goey.
I don't get a lot of the Kolo hate out of this finals series. For what - not being able to tackle Dustin Martin? I suspect that the only defender we have who could tackle Martin is O'Connor.

It's a grand final and just like 2019 prelim, patty has an unbelievable good first half and is terribly poor in the second half.

Funny how if you look at the tale of the tape, dusty spends about the same time fwd as danger, I thought danger sulked it up big time in the second half, he showed zero leadership and all he wanted to do was play for free kicks, grand final is commeth the hour, commeth the man, the man plays for the opposition, danger is nowhere near martin, Martin was everything we want danger to be, I can't see us competing for a little while.
A list of players where their best is behind them
Selwood
Hendo
Hawk
Dalhous
Danger
Jenkins
Rohan
Tuohey

Then you have menegola and Guthrie who played out of their skin this year, and won't be as good next year I would think. We were primed for this year, and missed opportunities to have a 5-6 goal lead that really hurt us.

Miers I was critical of earlier this year, did nothing in the game to prove me otherwise, simple miss in the second qtr, was massive, too many times he didn't take possession of the ball to take contact from a tackle instead he tapped the ball on where we lost possession and allowed Richmond to play their chaotic style, then he races fwd, has a player leading but decides to go the hail Mary and go for goal, all he finds was broad I think, it was millionaires football.

Our second qtr domination, is definitely the flag that we let get away
Hawkins best is behind him? Harsh, he’s just played a season where many thought he was the best and most influential player in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not even sure he will be best 22 next year. the decline was massive this year. I think he is done.
Despite my better judgment I actually just watched the entire game again. Selwood made a couple of blues like players from both sides but was probably our best four quarter player. Continued to win clearances, had a hand in a couple of goals, kept tackling. Easily in our top 3 for the night.

You have no need to be sorry...your post was respectful and classy.

I was taught that its equally important to know how to lose with class as it is to know how to win with grace. Its a lesson some have trouble with.

The Tigers have on the whole been very respectful (there are exceptions on your board and ours)...see you next year...we'll be gunning for you....

You didn’t.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it! :thumbsu:

Just watched the whole game again, bit of therapy I suppose to cleanse the system of the game. We were in it up to our eye balls to very late, never really gave it away, and sadly just had some luck go against us.

The 3rd quarter wasn’t quite the train wreck I thought it was on the night. Opportunities that Dalhaus & Stanley missed could have gone our way. Similarly Hawkins snap, and the Miers handoff to Guthrie. Tuohy falling over gave Martin the chance to kick this 2nd which just scraped in. Rohan made two errors, not handballing to a free Dalhaus on the wing and kicking it over Mena’s head. While we’re on the topic of Rohan, not sure I’ve ever seen someone fall over so much after flying for marks, when keeping his feet and using his speed to butter up would be the way to go. The only one he marked he kicked over Mena’s head.

Even in the last qtr we had more chances, Hawkins dropped chest mark, Rohan dropped a mark inside 50 where he might have been better to keep his feet. Might have been unlucky not to get a HTB against Baker 20 metres out from our goal also. Dustin Martin & some luck were against us.

Those first & second quarter misses were very, very costly in the end. Miers in particular. Had everyone yelling at him to steady and take the kick which suits his style perfectly.

All in all we didn’t chuck it in which was good, but this is very, very hard to take.

There’s been growing respect from Richmond for Geelong and vise versa lately, feels like a genuine ‘respectful’ rivalry is brewing, they no doubt have it over us right now, let’s see if we can turn the tide.

Firstly commiserations and it was a great game and the margin is not a good indication as to how close the game was in the 3.5 quarters until the cats had to throw game plan out in the attempt to win.

I think the respect has been there for a long while but people tend to let competitive banter get a bit too far and paint other supporters with the same brush.
You will find most Richmond supporters both like & respect the Cats as a team and supporter base and only really dont like the Pies & Blues.

During our dark years i personally enjoyed watching 2 teams the most and they were the eagles of the 90's and the Cats after that and the best grand final i have ever watched and still remember like it was yesterday is 89 and Ablett with his numerous demolish on jobs on the tigers of that era.

Geelong are a great team with great administration and deserve alot of respect for what they have now done for 3 decased.
Well done guys and good luck in 21'

I got that feeling even during the game. Both teams went hard but there was a level of respect for each other.
No one even tested Gaz's shoulder after he was clearly struggling but stayed out there.

I was extremely proud of this and so happy that crap didnt happen , The feeling i got and felt with Hurley trying to punch Lynch on the hand after the operation he had was disgusting even though the idiot was trying to punch the wrong hand.

We need to follow in Richmond's footsteps and appoint a full time mental coach as well. Maybe then we won't go back into our shells whenever our opponents bring the pressure.
This is the key. I'm very interested in psychology and have read a lot on the subject as well as observed a lot in my adult life. There are mental scars now, from defeats to Richmond in 17/19/20 finals which are not going to be easy to fix! The drop off after HT was, IMO, mostly mental, but not at all helped by a lack of ability from the coaching staff to grasp the situation unfolding and tactically alter the landscape of the game quickly when similar things to the '19 PF started to happen again. Worse to accept was this time we had them in a weaker position - Lynch, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rioli and Grimes (probably others) were having very little impact on the game. I'm despondent, numb but mostly angry - not with the players, but with the coaches because it doesn't seem as though they have had the wherewithal to learn the hard lessons of the past few years. Don't forget the first major lesson learned should have been from the '16 PF against Syd... writing was on the wall within about 5 mins of the start of that game that we were mentally off and Sydney were firing, but there was nothing tactically done to try and change that. Just a stubborn reliance on the "structures" and trying to play the game on our terms. I sat at that match with my two teenage kids and turned to them at that early point of the match and said, "this will be over at 1/4 time if they don't stop this run on" - and you know what? It was. If me - a middle-aged hack - can see that, how is not possible that a highly motivated and resourced coaching panel cannot?? There are a whole heap of other examples I could provide, but this thread is not the appropriate place to add them.

I believe very strongly that Geelong now have a major mental deficiency against Richmond and it will need to be urgently addressed if we are to stand any chance against them in the coming years. I've watched as we've dominated teams periodically over many years (e.g., ironically, Richmond in the 90s/00s and earlier part of 10s) and been dominated by others (Hawthorn in 80s/90s, West Coast 90s/00s) and these things take time and effort to overcome. Richmond have done it against us - can we be smart enough to acknowledge the problem, and come up with a proper strategy to arrest it?? Based on the evidence I've seen in the past few years, I'm not confident that will happen with the current people in charge.

I bleed blue and white and I'm desperately unhappy that we have blown several chances over the past few years. Hats off to Richmond for their incredible mental toughness in achieving what they have, but I believe we have unknowingly contributed to their domination in not trying to challenge them in other ways.

Hasn't Cook come out and said it wouldn't be financially viable for the club to do a hard rebuild and be out of contention for 4-5 years?
My definition of a hard rebuild would be that we have to bite the bullet and play Constable, Clark, Close, Jarvis & Narkle at the expense of those that are close to the end of careers and/or simply aren't good or consistent enough regarding finals.
I don't include Simpson as to me he is now in our best 22.
With Cameron and Higgins most likely coming on board as well, that's at least 7 new faces different from the GF team and not counting any new draftees that may be ready to go.
We need to do something different if we are going to contend anyway.

The skipper has been declining for a number of seasons already.
Was obvious at the start of the season for me.
Still a bull and gives his all but he no longer has the polish to his game. His disposal use is very erratic. Probably because his reaction time is fading away. The mind is a willing as ever though.
As the game has got faster, the collisions and their impact affect every inside mid to the extent that their shelf life is going to diminish even more.
I'm surprised that Joel has lasted as long as he has, but you could tell from the GF that Father Time has caught up with him.
He's had a brilliant career and will be a future Hall of Famer down the track, but who would be brave enough to tap him on the shoulder?

I don't get a lot of the Kolo hate out of this finals series. For what - not being able to tackle Dustin Martin? I suspect that the only defender we have who could tackle Martin is O'Connor.
I was actually thinking in the 4th quarter They should try o’connor on Martin which then got me thinking I’ve never seen Scott make a player switch in all his years of coaching. If one of our guys is getting burnt we just ride it out for whatever reason I don’t know? Taylor on Lynch last prelim, o’connor on Riewoldt round 17, kolo on dusty. And then thinking back even further I can’t remember any times they’ve changed a match up mid game? Hardwick changes mid game quite a lot in comparison.

I was extremely proud of this and so happy that crap didnt happen , The feeling i got and felt with Hurley trying to punch Lynch on the hand after the operation he had was disgusting even though the idiot was trying to punch the wrong hand.
I like your comment but like your avatar even more. A bit of perspective that goes beyond football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back