Review Geelong Defeats Owen 13 Crows by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone remember this?

Lachlan Murphy, Adelaide Crows, has been charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Mark Blicavs, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the Round 13 match between the Adelaide Crows and Geelong Cats, played at Adelaide Oval on Sunday August 23.

In summary he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

No.

Here's the Dahlhaus incident - devils advocate here, I don't mind him getting a week if they give a week to all other incidents of this nature. But when Burgoyne gets fined twice for these type of tackles it's frustrating

And meanwhile, back at the farm, Lynch is being a tosser and throwing his hands around with reckless immunity

Here's the Dahlhaus incident - devils advocate here, I don't mind him getting a week if they give a week to all other incidents of this nature. But when Burgoyne gets fined twice for these type of tackles it's frustrating

Gee there’s not much in that. The crows player got straight up and didn’t look phased at all.
That’s stiff.

So I was just over at the Umpiring and MRP forum and got my first look at the Sam Powell-Pepper footage. Now it's clear what's going on. The AFL need some way to justify that insanity, and they figure the best way is to ping someone else for an equally innocuous incident to make it look like they're enforcing an actual rule consistently and not just making stuff up. Go and look at the SP-P incident yourself. You'll see what I mean.

Can the club afford the 10k if they fail though

Might be worth the investment. We successfully challenged one earlier this year and even if we fail, next time the AFL decide to crack down on whatever this week's obsession is they might think twice: "Hmm... Geelong tend to ark up and challenge things, maybe we should pick on someone else."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I can (begrudgingly) accept the Dahlhaus decision - it was a dangerous tackle.

But how the fu** can Christian get away with such a glaring lack of consistency?
Stuff Michael Christian and stuff Daniel Andrews

Great. Thats one Regulation action that every player is expected to do in such circumstances. it doesnt elevate his game and its not defensive pressure as the opposition didnt have the ball.

If...if... you are suggesting via your recent posts that Rohan doesn't deserve his place in the best 22, you have a hopelessly bad memory or else you have no idea.

He's an important cog in our forward wheel.

If...if... you are suggesting via your recent posts that Rohan doesn't deserve his place in the best 22, you have a hopelessly bad memory or else you have no idea.

He's an important cog in our forward wheel.

You can't get these minutes back David that's all I'm saying. It just ain't worth it. The glorious ignore function was invented for these posters!

People who say he should never play again have NFI about assessing potential footy talent - probably the same idiots who wanted to hang Blitz a few seasons ago.
He’s 22 , inexperienced in terms of footy development yet he has shown some very encouraging passages of play including many pack screamers and some great agility below his knees as well as ferocious tackling 👍
Having said that he needs time to develop so we will all need to chill and be patient.
There are plenty of more fancied tall , young KPFs at the moment who are struggling to impact or be consistent at other Clubs.

Thank goodness the coaching group are pragmatic and unemotional - he’s in the mix to determine our best structure for a finals series where we have a real shot at pulling it off.
I hope he gets back to form over the next few matches and gives us some selection dilemmas

Very astute observation re the ferocious tackling

He didnt have a great day against W/Coast at Optus - but in the last qtr when put in the ruck - that tackle he put on an Eagle midfielder - in centre of the ground - after following from the ball up - was the best tackle ive seen from a Geel player in the last 5 years - it was an absolute ripper - and the agility to do it - after going for the ruck knock out

He applies that type of tackling pressure around the midfield - then it is a big plus for Geel in the finals

I am certainly not a subscriber to the Luke Hodge oh geelong's system is going so well everyone is going to have the chance to work them out leading into finals. Everyone is doing it to everyone else at the top end and its one thing knowing the system and another thing bringing it down.

However that really high pressure contested no space football was tough for us to break down yesterday. Might be a tiny blue print on how to play us and good teams might take advantage of it better. Who knows but it was super duper congested almost all day
Our players don’t mind the contested ball either though. So it was a good game to practise that. Only Miers strikes me as being a bit more uncontested in our team. The rest go hard and tackle hard too.

Very astute observation re the ferocious tackling

He didnt have a great day against W/Coast at Optus - but in the last qtr when put in the ruck - that tackle he put on an Eagle midfielder - in centre of the ground - after following from the ball up - was the best tackle ive seen from a Geel player in the last 5 years - it was an absolute ripper - and the agility to do it - after going for the ruck knock out

He applies that type of tackling pressure around the midfield - then it is a big plus for Geel in the finals

I think the Eagles game will be top of mind in our Finals planning to be honest.
We had those pricks on toast on their own dung heap until we committed 4 non typical turnovers three of which lead to goals totally against the run of play. We also missed two very gettables but that is history.
Sav will be very important in a rematch together with Stanley.

Stanley to compete with Nic and Sav to make McGovern accountable. If Barass and Tom are in the “Hawkins Island “ I like our chances so match ups will be incredibly important.
Sav up forward also allows Blitz to play back which works well v Eagles and Tigers who are our main rivals IMO

Last edited:
Waiver: I'm pro-protect the ball hunter.

However, perhaps if players w the ball weren't given half an hour to try and find a limb and/or teammate to dispose/drop/throw/orjustholdoutforthestoppage some of these 'dangerous' tackles might be avoided??

That is a very very astute observation. AFL has let the game turn into a contested rugby scrum that is farcical. if I didn't already love it I would have no interest in our sport. To combat this, instead of changing rotations, using anti density or lengthening a mark distance to 20 the AFL has tried to give players forever to get it out regardless of it's legal or a throw or anything. This means the tackler has to continue holding on and exerting force for such a long time that it eventually can become more dangerous. Fix the bloody game and help tacklers out at the same time. It will protect the head nothing surer.

Interesting. Crouch was in possession of the ball the whole time. He was in the process of kicking the ball the whole way down. What was Dahlhaus supposed to do, stop tackling?

If Crouch had dropped or disposed of the ball and Dahl had continued tackling, that would be a different story. But that's exactly what the AFL ignores week in week out, and then they decide to ping this?
Wow.

Also Crouch has an arm free with which he breaks his fall and also gets up straight away. Mind boggling.

Yes - they have revised the rule since that incredible leniency to Burgoyne but you can just see Christian clearing another ‘offender’ later in the season for exactly the same reasons- had an arm free and walked away fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back