Review Geelong Defeats Owen 13 Crows by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall sitting next to two old guys at the MCG in 2006, who were saying that Hawkins would never be any good and referring to our 'idiot coach'.

I presume they changed their opinion!
Yeah no doubt. Whilst I think Sav should not be in the side now given we’re gunning for a flag, I certainly acknowledge he has a future and is no doubt going to be a very good player in time.

Geelong beat supposed contenders St Kilda and Port Adelaide by 10 goals each with, just, Hawkins and Rohan. Geelong would have beaten WCE with a ruckman, Sav was a witches hat against Naitanui in that game.

The last big h&a test is Richmond, 2 weeks after the bye. Geelong hasn't lost 2nd up after a bye since the 2008 gf.

This. I never, ever understand blanket statements like 'we can't win a flag while xxxxxxxx.'
It reeks of silliness.

yes it is easier said than done but literally all you have to do is kick a higher score than your opposition on grand final day regardless of whether that is 250-0, or 7-6. There is no law that says 'you can't win when you have so and so playing.' Especially when you've just trounced two high flying opponents with that exact set-up.

Where 13 rounds done into a 17 game season - hasnt played a senior game yet - and had a terrible last season for the Crows - but Geel supporters think he is going to do a Clark Keating ( a key forward version of ) put his superman cape on and be a star late in the season

Jenkins and Kreuger cant see either coming in - but ive got total confidence in Scott and his co - selectors - im comfortable with whoever they pick

Who are the posters saying he's going to be another Keating?
Think it's more a case of just suggesting we have a look at him, especially given that Sav is offering very little at the moment, so if we want to go with the extra KPF it's worth seeing if Jenkins has more to offer.

Even in his "terrible last season" he still managed his career average of two goals a game, which stacks up pretty well compared to Ratugolea's three from ten games.

Anyone would think we lost, she must be bloody stupid to tag joel in that, watch the club sanction Selwood for that response now too!!!
I dont think they would at all. CS and Selwood are known for being combative, and rarely receive sanctions.

Doubt it. Noone would of even know she did it if he didn't fire back.
Don't know why she would tag players or call a player like him lazy.
But she can if she wants. Don't think we wanna be losing fans right now.

I doubt it. There's plenty of fans and supporters available. And she won't leave.

I recall sitting next to two old guys at the MCG in 2006, who were saying that Hawkins would never be any good and referring to our 'idiot coach'.

I presume they changed their opinion!

Was this in 2006, the year that Tom was actually drafted? Debuted in 2007 playing 9 games.

When it's all said and done, I'd rather have neither of them in the team. I like the set-up of the previous couple of weeks before Adelaide.

The team setup is fine. They are throwing players around everywhere.

Yesterday was pretty boring. But it was good to see a different game plan being thrown at us.
It gives the coaches something to look at.

The bolded is the thing for me. Looking at his best games over the last year and a half, it seems to correlate with when he kicks a goal or takes a good mark early. If things don't happen for him early he struggles to get into games.
yes, I can see him grabbing his first couple mark attempts, slotting an early goal, his smile coming back and him tearing it up for the rest of the game.

:cool:

Freo has played one less match than us, so here's the average against scores, something the person above didn't consider as they just looked at the raw numbers: Freo with an average against score of 52.91, Geelong with an average against score of 52.15

Also their stingy defence doesn't work as well when they struggle to kick about 7 goals a game :p

Who said he should never play again?

I'm the same. If he could convert in front of goal it's a different story. But he simply can't atm. If anything he has gone a mile backwards.

At least rohan kicked a goal. Rat couldn't hit the side of a barn. Basically makes the marks he takes inside 50 worthless if he can never, ever convert. As soon as he marks it you may as well mark it down as a point, or out of bounds on the full.
Never ever convert? lets not reduce ourselves to straw men arguments. He averages 1 goal for every behind.

Yes he is a young tall forward who is iffy with set shots. Thats totally rare. Those players never get more accurate with experience. :think:

Yeah totally agree - i think Sav is going to be a top line player - thats just my opinion - and also if in a big final against W/Coast id prefer Sav in the ruck against Nic Nat - than Stanley - hes got a better leap than Stanley

The talk of Jenkins coming in is laughable . He was an ok player at Ade - but where 13 games into a 17 round season - and he hasnt played yet - but he is magically going to come in . Its like alot of posters who say every week - they want Kreuger in - based on what - well the only thing they base it on - is like Jenkins he is new - and they want to see him - well it is not going to happen this year

Pretty simple equation - if both Taylor and Henderson play - then there is only one ruckman - and Blics helps out as a 2nd ruck -

You are aware Jenkins has been injured all year not omitted right? And he wouldn't have been am emergency on Sunday if they weren't thinking of trying it.

Geelong beat supposed contenders St Kilda and Port Adelaide by 10 goals each with, just, Hawkins and Rohan. Geelong would have beaten WCE with a ruckman, Sav was a witches hat against Naitanui in that game.

The last big h&a test is Richmond, 2 weeks after the bye. Geelong hasn't lost 2nd up after a bye since the 2008 gf.
Port adelaide nearly lost to hawthorn at home This weekend. They might be going through a training patch. Plus they did not put their best defender on hawkins nor double team him. They definately would handle hawkins a different way in a final. Hawkins has been shut out of many finals. It would be madness to solely rely on him to kick us a score. Ps rohans goal kicking form was pretty ordinary this season until the saints game. And that is really his only good game for the season. He was missing in action against port until junk time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never ever convert? lets not reduce ourselves to straw men arguments. He averages 1 goal for every behind.

Yes he is a young tall forward who is iffy with set shots. Thats totally rare. Those players never get more accurate with experience. :think:
If you had told me in 2011 that Hawkins would become one of the most reliable set shots in recent memory...

Straw man like saying people were calling for him to never play again? Or are only you allowed to make outrageous statements?

Yes it was an exaggeration, but it ain’t far off the truth. He’s on a pretty strong miss streak atm.

And yeah, no s**t he can improve. But if anything he has gone backwards recently.

Sad how people are turning on Sav he has looked good until this year and he is so low on confidence he will be back.....so people saying he should never play again is so wrong and just putting the boots in on a player out of form

People who say he should never play again have NFI about assessing potential footy talent - probably the same idiots who wanted to hang Blitz a few seasons ago.
He’s 22 , inexperienced in terms of footy development yet he has shown some very encouraging passages of play including many pack screamers and some great agility below his knees as well as ferocious tackling 👍
Having said that he needs time to develop so we will all need to chill and be patient.
There are plenty of more fancied tall , young KPFs at the moment who are struggling to impact or be consistent at other Clubs.

Thank goodness the coaching group are pragmatic and unemotional - he’s in the mix to determine our best structure for a finals series where we have a real shot at pulling it off.
I hope he gets back to form over the next few matches and gives us some selection dilemmas

People who say he should never play again have NFI about assessing potential footy talent - probably the same idiots who wanted to hang Blitz a few seasons ago.
He’s 22 , inexperienced in terms of footy development yet he has shown some very encouraging passages of play including many pack screamers and some great agility below his knees as well as ferocious tackling 👍
Having said that he needs time to develop so we will all need to chill and be patient.
There are plenty of more fancied tall , young KPFs at the moment who are struggling to impact or be consistent at other Clubs.

Thank goodness the coaching group are pragmatic and unemotional - he’s in the mix to determine our best structure for a finals series where we have a real shot at pulling it off.
I hope he gets back to form over the next few matches and gives us some selection dilemmas
I’m still waiting for someone to prove anyone said sav should never play again.

Made up bs imo.

People saying he should be dropped is not the same thing.

Are people actually turning on him though? I don’t want him in the side atm as I feel his form doesn’t warrant selection in a side preparing for a flag assault. I certainly have high hopes for his future, I think he’ll be a good player, but right now he just isn’t performing to standard and contributing. So many of our premiership stars were dropped several times early in their career, doesn’t mean people turned on them
I think he has enormous upside but he is WIP at the moment. Give him time over the OS and next year, but win the bloody flag this year.

I am actually surprised at the amount of negativity here.

Half the review thread spent complaining about our bottom 5 players or our Captains response to someone potting a young player (yes he was sh*t but to call him lazy is just wrong)

Now onto the game

Best on ground for me was Guthrie he really has stepped it up big time this year and is our clear number 1 player right now (Hawkins is still the most important)

Loving danger doing cameos at important times and seeming to be trying to keep his powder dry for finals time.

Hawkins is proving just how good of a player he has been for so long and deserves all the applause he is getting right now, hopefully he can snag the Coleman because he really deserves it.

Blics is by far the best Utility player i have ever seen he can play just about anywhere and all within the same game as well.

Highest pressure game of the year (total not just one team) and highest tackle count this year total as well has me rather impressed with how we grinded out the win.

I am certainly not a subscriber to the Luke Hodge oh geelong's system is going so well everyone is going to have the chance to work them out leading into finals. Everyone is doing it to everyone else at the top end and its one thing knowing the system and another thing bringing it down.

However that really high pressure contested no space football was tough for us to break down yesterday. Might be a tiny blue print on how to play us and good teams might take advantage of it better. Who knows but it was super duper congested almost all day

I am certainly not a subscriber to the Luke Hodge oh geelong's system is going so well everyone is going to have the chance to work them out leading into finals. Everyone is doing it to everyone else at the top end and its one thing knowing the system and another thing bringing it down.

However that really high pressure contested no space football was tough for us to break down yesterday. Might be a tiny blue print on how to play us and good teams might take advantage of it better. Who knows but it was super duper congested almost all day
That may be so and has a very good chance of being correct but i also think that the Crows game with the pressure and tackling they produced would of beaten half the sides in the AFL yesterday maybe more.

You think Ratogulea is going to kick us 5 or 6 goals and give another handful off it Hawkins doesn't play?

9 touches, a behind, 8 hit outs and 2 tackles was his contribution in that pf that Hawkins missed.

Josh Jenkins kicked 4 against us in a pf, I'd rather have him in

Not taking a side either way re who should play but your message just shows how useless raw data is without context. In fact it's worse than useless it is misleading.

1. If anyone honestly thinks the Jenkins from 2017 is the same player as our Jenkins they are absolutely kidding themselves. Hasn't been that guy for two years and dropped off a cliff at the crows.

3. This also highlights how stupid the "he's a 2 goal game forward" argument. He was and he ain't anymore.

2. Being at the game yesterday if anyone thought the ball was coming into our forward line yesterday like it was for the Crows in that Pre-lim they either didn;t watch either game or don't understand the difference between a belting and a tight tussle for the forwards. It is everything for a forward how it comes in. Yesterday we entered our F50 poorly on most occassions due to Adelaide's sensational pressure.

Sav is struggling but it is far from a clear case of some top quality second ruck/forward being hung out to dry in the 2s. One more game for Sav and if he is really quiet again then we should try Jenkins. It's the ridiculous certainty that one option is definitely better than the other thats crazy. Jenkins ain't Hawk mark 2. He has played bunches of absolutely appalling games for the Crows. Other times he looked good but he ain't what he was and he ain't categorically a better option than Sav.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back