Review Cats down Bombers by 28 points - Tomma has 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the 1st half again myself -agree entirely with what you just said

I thought it was a pretty good standard game - both sides

Something drastic has happened with Miers - totally different player - and about 5000% better - and i wonder how he has improved so much - but that 1st half he played - youd swear it was a completely different player

With players to come back in - Geel keep playing like that - then they are going to be awfully hard to beat
He's kicking on his left now too. which he never used to do.

For our first two finals last year I sat behind the goals, so had a good look at things straight down the ground

I remember against Collingwood, late in the match (can't quite remember if it was before or after Holmes' goal) and the ball had gone out of bounds outside of Collingwood's forward 50

It was Zach who was directing traffic, making sure matchups were as needed and the right guys dropping into the holes - he may have racked up 50 career games, but there was still fans who looked at him as being on the fringes, but in that passage he looked the general down back & a future leader of this club

I don't know if he'll necessarily be one that does get a formal leadership role at the club, but I can really see him as the heir apparent to Stewart as our general in defence - and being 5-years younger than TS, he could well be the right person at the right age to step into that role

So they were right and we were wrong.
Glad he's in a position now to get the love.
Jeez he came in for some junior bashing on this board.
(cringe, me too)

Something drastic has happened with Miers - totally different player - and about 5000% better - and i wonder how he has improved so much - but that 1st half he played - youd swear it was a completely different player

With players to come back in - Geel keep playing like that - then they are going to be awfully hard to beat
Hasn’t Miers been great!

I think a hugely underrated part of the 22 premiership was the way we were able to cover the loss of Stewart after the richmond game. We weren't able to do it the previous year and we fell apart. Guys like Kolo and Henry you expect to be solid, but I think Zuth stepping up in those matches was big. He didn't replace Stewart or anything, but he was suddenly dependable enough that whole system just kept on truckin'

I think that's a reflection of what good teams do nowadays. The loss of a couple of star players just doesn't affect teams that much now. They're so well drilled they can cover it. Obviously you can have too many injuries, but otherwise the top teams just keep winning regardless.

Might as well share it here also

What an impressive player Zach is turning into

He's come a long way from the 19 yr old who got slammed following this mis-match - I still remember being at that game & how a few of his senior teammates seemed to escape some flack when they were the ones playing off their opponents, leaving the youngster to try & cover them

View attachment 1675752

Biggest compliment I can give him is multiple times during a match I mistake him for Tom Stewart.

Just does the fundamentals right.

I don't think Knevitt is ready but I think it a good idea and great coaching to give players like him. a game. Players that looked at the front of queue for this year but we're bumped back by Henry, Bowes and Bruhn. These young guys will be together for a long time. Good to keep them engaged and not disheartened.

For the first half Knevitt just followed the footy like an under 9. He didn't put himself in a position to demand the footy. I think he was told this and improved in the 2nd half.

That's the positive. In the other column the almost Sav is back for his 5 touches. I'm glad I don't have hair.

I don't think Knevitt is ready but I think it a good idea and great coaching to give players like him. a game. Players that looked at the front of queue for this year but we're bumped back by Henry, Bowes and Bruhn. These young guys will be together for a long time. Good to keep them engaged and not disheartened.

For the first half Knevitt just followed the footy like an under 9. He didn't put himself in a position to demand the footy. I think he was told this and improved in the 2nd half.

That's the positive. In the other column the almost Sav is back for his 5 touches. I'm glad I don't have hair.
Knevitt I think is still a little lost on the wing. He's getting better. I was watching out for him specifically last week and I feel like he did some unrewarded running when he first came on and no one hit him up but this week not as great.

Great he gets another look at seniors too take back with him and keep developing. I'd like Dempsey rewarded similarly soon, it's the right time to give him another look.

Knevitt I think is still a little lost on the wing. He's getting better. I was watching out for him specifically last week and I feel like he did some unrewarded running when he first came on and no one hit him up but this week not as great.

Great he gets another look at seniors too take back with him and keep developing. I'd like Dempsey rewarded similarly soon, it's the right time to give him another look.
I thought he grew in confidence as the game went on. On a few occasions he was in space but his teammates looked a little hesitant to give him the ball if his opponent was near.
A few games in the seniors will do him a lot of good.

If you want to know why Miers has improved so much, give this a listen. You can tell by the way he talks that he genuinely loves footy and he's a real craftsman. Also, last season he was injured so never got a proper run at it. Those things together explain a lot of it for me. It's great to see!

With good reason. The commentary glossed over it.
And yet supposedly there is still no bias whatsoever when it comes to commentary on potentially controversial incidents. Just imagine if this had been Danger executing the tackle in this incident. When it got replayed during the broadcast, it would have been picked up at the time and then referenced by the commentators ad infinitum for the rest of the game. As it was, there was not a single word said by anyone on the broadcast when the incident was replayed, and it was never mentioned again for the rest of the day.

The double standards regarding 'reporting' of incidents such as these is just puerile and pathetic. Having said that, it was very heartening to see that the MRO still took the time to get it right and properly analyse the footage, irrespective of whether there was any 'focus' on the tackle during the game. Rightly deserved a week, and ended up copping that as an appropriate penalty.

So you just have to smile when you think of the 'Oh boy, Wowee!' tax that would have been applied to the incident if BT was on the call and Toma had dumped someone in this fashion. 'Rules for some' clearly remains the AFL mantra (including the media) in so many ways.

Last edited:
And yet supposedly there is still no bias whatsoever when it comes to commentary on potentially controversial incidents. Just imagine if this had been Danger executing the tackle in this incident. When it got replayed during the broadcast, it would have been picked up at the time and then referenced by the commentators ad infinitum for the rest of the game. As it was, there was not a single word said by anyone on the broadcast when the incident was replayed, and it was never mentioned again for the rest of the day.

The double standards regarding 'reporting' of incidents such as these is just puerile and pathetic. Having said that, it was very heartening to see that the MRO still took the time to get it right and properly analyse the footage, irrespective of whether there was any 'focus' on the tackle during the game. Rightly deserved a week, and ended up copping that as an appropriate penalty.

So you just have to smile when you think of the 'Oh boy, Wowee!' tax that would have been applied to the incident if BT was on the call and Toma had dumped someone in this fashion. 'Rules for some' clearly remains the AFL mantra (including the media) in so many ways.
Fans of every single club think their team is dudded by the umpires, the commentators and the MRO. That can't be true. It's obvious some commentators have their biases. But I reckon we do ok.

Fans of every single club think their team is dudded by the umpires, the commentators and the MRO. That can't be true. It's obvious some commentators have their biases. But I reckon we do ok.
That's all fine. I'm not into the view that the umps have it in for the Cats, for example. But I do think the weekend incident with Blitz does underline an inherent bias from some in the media to make more of the supposed misdemeanours of some players than others. In particular, then, I simply don't believe that the incident would have rated no mention from the commentators on the weekend if it had been Danger, Toma, Stewart or the like laying the tackle.

And while that might not be the biggest deal, it is pretty pathetic from the supposed 'without fear or favour' media ruck surrounding the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's all fine. I'm not into the view that the umps have it in for the Cats, for example. But I do think the weekend incident with Blitz does underline an inherent bias from some in the media to make more of the supposed misdemeanours of some players than others. In particular, then, I simply don't believe that the incident would have rated no mention from the commentators on the weekend if it had been Danger, Toma, Stewart or the like laying the tackle.

And while that might not be the biggest deal, it is pretty pathetic from the supposed 'without fear or favour' media ruck surrounding the AFL.
Fair call. I agree with that. The AFL media is generally pretty unprofessional, isn't it. I suppose that's what you get when most of them are ex-players.

It's nothing new.
It's been going on since the year dot.
TV and newspaper coverage is, and always has been, biassed towards those clubs with the biggest memberships, namely Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond, because they generate the most advertising bucks.

So rapt with how Miers and Zuthrie are going. I just dismissed them way too quickly almost by the way they looked. At the same time I come around quicker than others
Too small, or couldn’t kick far in Miers case. I saw Miers in the vfl in his 1st year and thought he had no chance. However his pre season after the 1st year was superb and he ran hard and funnily enough many of his kicks hit targets.
Miers is such a hard worker, looks limited but makes the most of what he has.
Zuthrie was just so skinny, meek annd mild mannered. Looked way out of his depth. Sam Simpson came through at the same time and was very similar but I had more hope for him. Hopefully the previous concussions won’t hurt his development, I think he is talented.

I was at the game and I really noticed the Selwood-shaped hole in our midfield at centre clearances. I took for granted how often he'd win the hard ball and dish it out. Essendon got too much easy ball out of the guts. With Cam Guthrie underperforming this season, we're going to drop some games because of our reduced capacity for clearances.

I'd love a Parker/Oliver/Cripps-like player we could slot in there to give us a 20% bump in winning contested ball at the coalface. If Danger goes down, we might struggle big time.

That's what he does though. Did the same thing in 2011.

Be interesting to look back at recent premiership teams and his predictions. I reckon there's a few wide of the mark in there.
Fairly sure he had Swans pegged as unbeatable in 2014 and that turned pear-shaped.
Last year he had us pegged approx. 4 rounds out from finals as premiers on account of two keys stats (I can't recall what they were).

Go to mention Dangerfield - been a sensational player for Geel and fantastic to watch

Given his build - size - strength - explosive pace - and Gerrard Healey was complimentary on his kicking on Sunday -

Given those attributes and watching Dangerfield through his Geel career - and the Ess game was a very good example - but watching Dangerfield play - is like watching Gary Ablett Snr play in the centre - thats how Dangerfield is - and thus so exciting to watch

When Ablett Snr was young in 1st couple of years - they would throw him into the centre every now again - i remember going to a game at Waverley - last game of the year against Haw - Cats had to win to stay in 5 but came up short - but things were getting desperate - so they moved him into the centre - and it was exactly like Dangerfield - everything at a million miles an hour - the physical size and presence of them - and the explosive pace

Thats how good Dangerfield is

344362242_1884770735221052_2307346231889087573_n.jpg

I thought he grew in confidence as the game went on. On a few occasions he was in space but his teammates looked a little hesitant to give him the ball if his opponent was near.
A few games in the seniors will do him a lot of good.
Yeah he's not awful but just not quite there. Bit more time in the gym

I was at the game and I really noticed the Selwood-shaped hole in our midfield at centre clearances. I took for granted how often he'd win the hard ball and dish it out. Essendon got too much easy ball out of the guts. With Cam Guthrie underperforming this season, we're going to drop some games because of our reduced capacity for clearances.

I'd love a Parker/Oliver/Cripps-like player we could slot in there to give us a 20% bump in winning contested ball at the coalface. If Danger goes down, we might struggle big time.
Early in the second quarter we were a few goals ahead on scores from stoppages: it was essentially the area that gave us that big early lead. They pegged us back thereafter, particularly second half from centrebounces, but we still finished 8 up overall. Scoring differential the past 4 weeks from clearance Cats are number 1 in the league. So its not all bad.

Go to mention Dangerfield - been a sensational player for Geel and fantastic to watch

Given his build - size - strength - explosive pace - and Gerrard Healey was complimentary on his kicking on Sunday -

Given those attributes and watching Dangerfield through his Geel career - and the Ess game was a very good example - but watching Dangerfield play - is like watching Gary Ablett Snr play in the centre - thats how Dangerfield is - and thus so exciting to watch

When Ablett Snr was young in 1st couple of years - they would throw him into the centre every now again - i remember going to a game at Waverley - last game of the year against Haw - Cats had to win to stay in 5 but came up short - but things were getting desperate - so they moved him into the centre - and it was exactly like Dangerfield - everything at a million miles an hour - the physical size and presence of them - and the explosive pace

Thats how good Dangerfield is
His kicking has always been underrated as we would remember the couple of dodgy shanks per game, however the rest were fine. Good penetration on his kicks too but we didn't always have a forward line that could capitalise besides Hawkins.

He's improved in this area significantly the past 3 years too. His goal assist and score involvement numbers are elite year in year out, even as his disposal numbers have reduced with his declining time on ground. Meaning his kicking is getting better even as he ages.

Remarkable player.

His kicking has always been underrated as we would remember the couple of dodgy shanks per game, however the rest were fine. Good penetration on his kicks too but we didn't always have a forward line that could capitalise besides Hawkins.

He's improved in this area significantly the past 3 years too. His goal assist and score involvement numbers are elite year in year out, even as his disposal numbers have reduced with his declining time on ground. Meaning his kicking is getting better even as he ages.

Remarkable player.
Danger is the best mid of his generation when it come to the length of his peak and it isn't even close.

Martin's peak is what 5 years or so and Fyfe is broken and has been for years now

C guthrie didnt play. Neither did a ruckman. We have room to improve. Hoping to see more holmes in there as season progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back