Autopsy Geelong lose to WC by 9 points at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't want to tank. But we won't win it so if we get a higher pick then great. But I agree, it's a challenging year to rank the draftees.
Once we get some talent back, and with a decent run of luck, we could do more than make up numbers, but I'll reserve judgement until we complete our Gabba jaunt. Saints and Port are going to be bigger tests than what we've already had, and NM are now back in form.

Absolutely and I'm not saying Rohan has played well but as a third tall with leg speed the replacement will change the shape of the forward entries pretty substantially given we either replace with a tall or a player with zip. When we take him out of the side we need to have an idea of how that changes our predictability and how it changes opposition defensive structure. It's a problem for smarter heads than i
When Rohan isn’t getting near it, I believe he should pinch hit on the wing.

Imagine if we were able to get Goldstein .. or showed interest in Jacobs, Ryder, Pittonet Or even kept Abbott. Having two ruckman on our list (one with over 5 games) was always high risk
Do you think Abbott would've done a better job last night?
Pittonet would've been a good get... especially as a late pick in a trade. Def worth it.

Do you think Abbott would've done a better job last night?
Pittonet would've been a good get... especially as a late pick in a trade. Def worth it.
Where is Abbott now?
That would answer your question, maybe.
That's what I was repeatedly told when I suggested we should have kept Blake.

Where is Abbott now?
That would answer your question, maybe.
That's what I was repeatedly told when I suggested we should have kept Blake.
Considering they have Marshall and Ryder, their Ruck stocks were already better than ours...

Blake was a very good tap ruck and athlete in general but his skills were so bad, I mean he made Blicavs look like Pendlebury by comparison.

Modern day rucks actually aren't very skilled anyway but they have to be able to kick and take a contested grab once every game or so. Blake was terrible at both.
But as it stands right now with this Geelong side, we'd happily take old Blake over Stanley, Fort or Ratugolea as you knew what you were going to get each week.
Trent West was another who did ok as a ruckman. We just expected him to be half the player Ottens was.

Not impressed with Atkins or Dalhaus. Close looks a better option. Cockatoo would be a livewire down forward if he could string some games together. Perhaps even James Parsons. Rohan may not get a lot of the ball but he crashes the pack and scares the opposition with his speed. Plus he kicks straight.

Very good post

Some supporters listing the Geel outs (from presumably the best side possible picked ) and keep mentioning Dalhaus - i think Bradley Close in his 2 games has already gone past Dalhaus

Close is a bit like Varcoe in one aspect - i will get/give the ball to a Geel player in the best possible position to score a goal

Some supporters listing the Geel outs (from presumably the best side possible picked ) and keep mentioning Dalhaus - i think Bradley Close in his 2 games has already gone past Dalhaus

Always happens on here.
When the team starts losing, they look to players who were barely best 22 when fit and use them as examples of players missing from the team.

Of all players we are missing right now, only Clark, Ablett and Selwood are being missed and clearly best 22. Stanley is as inconsistent as they get and Fort is a battler who won't be on the list in a year or two.
West Coast were missing Petruccelle and McGovern.

Rohan is such a tease.

- He looks great when flying for the mark but never quite takes them

- When he has possession he moves with purpose and kicks well but he never gets the ball

I can’t work out why he doesn’t win more possessions. Is he usually opposed a very good defender?

I wonder if Sav and other forwards should provide more blocks so he can lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as quickly as the false common held views you attempt to attribute to the masses, and this one regarding Rohan is one of many.

Then disprove it.

Show exactly where or when Rohan has ever been a consistent performer, a big game performer, or has produced any kind of impressive output. Ever.

Then disprove it.

Show exactly where or when Rohan has ever been a consistent performer, a big game performer, or has produced any kind of impressive output. Ever.
That isn’t the claim I am making. Not even disputing that he is a serial poor performer. He is.

Thought you’d be smart enough to realise that.

The slew of board commentaries are generally not borne out anything actually happening. Complete fabrications

Woah. Big call.
Make your case.

I heard Close interviewed very recently - and he said Hawkins took an interest in him when he 1st joined the club - and he has put alot work in together with big Tom re the goal craft

The thing i like about Close ( he is a decent kick and moves ok ) but he has got real " goal smarts " - hes dangerous around the goals - i dont think Atkins and Dalhaus have to his degree - they bring that " wonderful pressure " and thats about it

No i like Close - i reckon Geel have picked up a clever player

I heard Close interviewed very recently - and he said Hawkins took an interest in him when he 1st joined the club - and he has put alot work in together with big Tom re the goal craft

The thing i like about Close ( he is a decent kick and moves ok ) but he has got real " goal smarts " - hes dangerous around the goals - i dont think Atkins and Dalhaus have to his degree - they bring that " wonderful pressure " and thats about it

Fair call. Not sold he’s gone past anyone yet but shows promising attributes.

Not sure what we’re trying to do with Dahlhaus, Atkins, Fogarty etc. it looks like they don’t know what they’re doing either, or what their coaches want from them. Fish out of water in many respects.

Myths grow incredibly fast on this board.

Another fun fact, Rohan is actually averaging less of everything this season than over his career (and obviously those numbers are already pretty bad) - that's less disposals, less marks, less goals, and less tackles. This tackling machine that opposition teams are scared of is laying a whopping 2.1 tackles per game.

Terrifying that is not.
With reduced game time, you would expect averages to be down across the board.

But he is a bit of a mystery. If things went his way he could tear games apart. But it never happens. Gets to the right spots but always seems to mess it up somehow. Never really seems to hang onto any of his high flying attempts.

Almost 4 goals up at the main break and playing a good brand of football only to capitulate meekly when the screws were applied by an opponent in the second half. All sounds too familiar.

There were some clearer reasons in this game. Once Stewart was identified as our main conduit out of defence and the clamps suitably applied, it was more or less all over red rover.

While the misfits maybe dour and gritty, for the most part they lack poise and the requisite kicking skills to give any proper rebound. Bews, Blicavs, Kolo and Henry are simply below par by foot for AFL level footballers.

Another significant event was the poleaxing of Parfitt when he had his head over the ball in the second quarter. He was having his best half of football for the season and was clearly affected by the knock and only managed a couple of possessions in the second half.

Frustrating game to lose when we were in with a show. However, it's very hard to win over there anytime, and even harder operating out of a makeshift "hub". The umps are affected by the crowd's confirmation bias and the highly interpretative frees like HTB, illegal holding and in the back are just not adjudicated consistently with the home mob statistically getting the biggest advantage of any team in the league by an embarrassingly large margin.

It's also fair to say that the short turn around from the physically taxing Freo game took it's toll. Going in unchanged from the week before seemed odd to me when the team was announced and so it came to pass.

Anyway, still a few things to like in the first half, with some precise ball movement and direct play.

Obviously the influence of NicNat was telling in the end. Not sure if Stanley will be available for North so we could see something similar again with Goldstein unless the midfield / coaches pull their collective fingers out and learn how to shark a dominant opposing ruckman.

Fort injured, we don't win. He would have got beat, but not thrashed as bad as the pair of part timers we threw up. I'm spewing. I said early on they might destroy Sav in the ruck, and they are trying to do that. Just like Bomber put Hawkins in the ruck and nearly wrecked him. Sav is a big marking forward, and they are nearly as rare as ruckmen. But no, they will wreck him in the ruck, and Geelong supporters will bay for his blood. Player like Sav needs 4 years before he comes into his prime. In his position. Very very few players his size and role are any good before they are 24. And he is a project player! Hawkins didn't put it together until then. Won us a premiership.

He is going to be a player. So long as Geelong don't * it up.

But he is a bit of a mystery. If things went his way he could tear games apart. But it never happens. Gets to the right spots but always seems to mess it up somehow. Never really seems to hang onto any of his high flying attempts.

He gets brushed off the ball pretty easily.
If he was much stronger through his core, he'd be able to do as he pleases with all that ridiculous speed. His flying attempts appear to enthrall the commentators as he rarely hangs onto them.
The very definition of a 'great' overhead mark is Nat Fyfe.

I liked Chris Scotts after match press conference - in regard to - he is a big fan of the 17 game season = everyone plays everyone once totally fair and he really emphasised that in a 17 game season - that every game is vitally important ( where 22 game season you could get away with 1 or 2 shock losses

And i agree with ( and if your out of the picture - the lasst 5-6 games were a waste of time - and supporters of those clubs couldnt wait for the season to finish )

I think if you brought in one more team - Tasmania that would make a 18 round season ( it used to be that in the 1960s ) plus 4 weeks of finals and maybe a split round - so thats 23 weeks - thats long enough - keeps everyone interested and it is a totally fair draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back