Opinion George Horlin-Smith - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the subject of the thread but is GHS in a similar boat to Cowan?

I must admit didnt think it was necessarily a good thing he was amongst best players v Crows
I thought GHS is in trouble and needs to take his chances

And that is precisely what he did. He should have kicked one more goal but other than that, ran all day, in and under, got lots of touches and clearances and for mine stuck his head into the MF rotation list for Rd1.

Needs to back it up again this week however.

Go Catters

didnt horlin smith play a decent practice game last year against collingwood

would a practice games be a similar standard to a vfl game? winks

Not the subject of the thread but is GHS in a similar boat to Cowan?

I must admit didnt think it was necessarily a good thing he was amongst best players v Crows
Perhaps they are similar boats in terms of where they sit in fans' eyes.

But I bet George would give his right knacker to have received the selection ride Cowan has over the journey. Stark in contrast.

didnt horlin smith play a decent practice game last year against collingwood

would a practice games be a similar standard to a vfl game? winks

You make a good point Whit3y.
Time for George to start delivering when it matters.

I just wish that same approach applied to some of our other inexperienced players.

Some good insights into George here:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/174a032183b3aef8b0a96efed9c0fb71

“Obviously I would like to be playing senior footy. I have things I need to improve on, I need to demand a spot,” Horlin-Smith said.

“Hopefully I can do that this year. In the short term I will concentrate on working on my deficiencies and hopefully that puts me in a strong position (to play).”

Horlin-Smith won’t admit it, but the 24-year-old must be frustrated with playing just 40 games since being taken in the second round in the 2010 national draft.

“I feel as if I can get better while playing VFL,” he said.

“It would be disrespectful to suggest you can’t get better playing in the twos.
Won't hear too many young players be so frank and honest about where they stand. Probably explains to a significant extent why he's still at the club almost as a full time VFL player and not chasing opportunities elsewhere.

Damn there's a mature head on those shoulders. Great attitude to have. No wonder the coaches love him.
People talk of players making it thru adversity... hard lives etc...

This bloke just keeps getting knocked back and fighting on.

It erks me so much to see all the talent in the world in Mots just sitting idle at times and this bloke, not especially blessed like him, pounding each step of the way to make it.

Hope he gets his chance this year in his best position. Blokes like that lift all boats IMO.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought GHS is in trouble and needs to take his chances

And that is precisely what he did. He should have kicked one more goal but other than that, ran all day, in and under, got lots of touches and clearances and for mine stuck his head into the MF rotation list for Rd1.

Needs to back it up again this week however.

Go Catters

Yep if he goes ok again this week I'd find room for him in R1.

Some good insights into George here:

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...t/news-story/174a032183b3aef8b0a96efed9c0fb71

Won't hear too many young players be so frank and honest about where they stand. Probably explains to a significant extent why he's still at the club almost as a full time VFL player and not chasing opportunities elsewhere.

He has listened to serious home truths which he is determined to incorporate into his game. It's seems that what is demanded of him is a higher level of discipline than some others. In other words he is given a tougher time to make the cut and hold his spot. I can't help but admire the guy and I hope he gets the break he deserves.

Not me. The implication was obvious. I've chosen to go with the glass half full view. Based on George's application and effort so far that's also a reasonable position.
Agreed - seems like a slap in the face to the young fella. Having watched the game, I can't see why the comment was made - he was quite good. 23 possessions and a goal - it was a good game regardless of how others played.

I think a few have missed the point of this post.

Ignored it maybe - instead of piling on about a VFL guy was one of our best mids and kicking those around him for being "down" for whatever reason, it seems that intent was bypassed for the upside in which GHS went about his work, and went it about it damn well.

Nice change I appreciated actually.

GO Catters

Agreed - seems like a slap in the face to the young fella. Having watched the game, I can't see why the comment was made - he was quite good. 23 possessions and a goal - it was a good game regardless of how others played.
I don't see anywhere where he said George didn't deserve recognition for his effort.I guess it's in the interpretation but some are reading far to much into his post in my opinion.Maybe he will clarify at some point.

I don't see anywhere where he said George didn't deserve recognition for his effort.I guess it's in the interpretation but some are reading far to much into his post in my opinion.Maybe he will clarify at some point.
It doesn't need clarification. It wasn't a profound comment. His point is obvious and legitimate just as a contrary view is legit and seemingly a popular opinion at this point. It's good to sprinkle some positivity around in the hope it will take root and flourish.

I thought he looked slimmer and fitter in the last JLT match. His problem has always been he's too slow and as an inside mid we've always had better options ahead of him. So I hope this new fitness he has will help him take the next step. He has talent, no doubt, but unless he can bring it whenever he gets his chance to play AFL level, then a VFL player he'll remain. Menegola passed him in his first year at the club as an inside mid, so GHS really needs to find a gear he's never shown before. Not sure where his contract status is at, but he's a guy you'd think could get delisted if it ends this year, and he still hasn't done anything.

I thought he looked slimmer and fitter in the last JLT match. His problem has always been he's too slow and as an inside mid we've always had better options ahead of him. So I hope this new fitness he has will help him take the next step. He has talent, no doubt, but unless he can bring it whenever he gets his chance to play AFL level, then a VFL player he'll remain. Menegola passed him in his first year at the club as an inside mid, so GHS really needs to find a gear he's never shown before. Not sure where his contract status is at, but he's a guy you'd think could get delisted if it ends this year, and he still hasn't done anything.

Contracted until the end of 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back