Updated George Pell * Dead at 81yo

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC the 'priest who testified' could not recall if, at the dates in question, Pell was at the front of the church, only that it was "this was generally his usual practice". So, not really iron-clad...

In regard to the possible retrial, the amount already spent on the matter by the DPP and the deep pockets of the church would have also been a fair consideration in not going ahead with the retrial.

Without being a smart arse, I am not sure how people choose to tie in 'Vatican bribing money... used to influence the case', when there is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case, whilst ignoring the facts that the people who were presented with the evidence in the Pell case chose to take it to trial, a jury unanimously found him guilty beyond reasonable doubt based on that evidence, and the majority of the Court of Appeal supported the jury verdict.

I have read the decisions, I have (obviously) not seen the evidence. Given that there was a unanimous jury verdict, one would assume that the evidence of offending was damning, enough so for the jury to give this evidence (of offending) greater weight than the 'lack of opportunity' evidence.

FWIW, regardless of the people involved, I believe that the High Court decision sets a bloody dangerous precedent. The role of the jury is to weigh up the evidence and determine the facts on that basis. I mean, why bother with a jury when the High Court can just come along and decide what the jury can and cannot consider and what weight the jury must or must not apply to certain evidence?!!

I mean, why bother with a jury when the High Court can just come along and decide what the jury can and cannot consider and what weight the jury must or must not apply to certain evidence?!!

Bonus points for coming in over the top in a highly unusual situation for a high profile person as well. We know these are never dubious or questionable considerations.

There was a priest who had testified he was with him at all times and it wasn't possible he even been alone enough to offend. The sacresty at the time of the purported offence is the hub of activity of the church with people entering and leaving like central station and isn't the place an abuser would corner wine drinking choir boys that he previously hadn't met flop out his d**k and ask for them to have this as first interaction. I don't for one second believe there was interaction with the boys at all. My opinion. Indeed one of the boys recanted entirely after the initial allegation.
Oh, 100%, I mean who ever heard of a priest (or more senior cleric) of lying to cover anything up?! But victims on the other hand, they lie all the time right? (Per your assertion in a previous post, which I questioned, and you conveniently ignored.)
Are you ****ing serious in typing that, or just taking the absolute p1ss?!

You may be technically correct regarding the appeal, but you are on the wrong side of history, and devoid of morality, it seems.

I'm just waiting for you to roll out the Pell (verbatim) quote from the RC as your justification, as your posts are certainly hinting at it:

Pell to the RC:
"It was a sad story and of not much interest to me,”

Oh, 100%, I mean who ever heard of a priest (or more senior cleric) of lying to cover anything up?! But victims on the other hand, they lie all the time right? (Per your assertion in a previous post, which I questioned, and you conveniently ignored.)
Are you ****ing serious in typing that, or just taking the absolute p1ss?!

You may be technically correct regarding the appeal, but you are on the wrong side of history, and devoid of morality, it seems.

I'm just waiting for you to roll out the Pell (verbatim) quote from the RC as your justification, as your posts are certainly hinting at it:

Pell to the RC:
"It was a sad story and of not much interest to me,”

I've already used that quote here to suggest Pell lacked humanity. Separate issue. Quite amusing you insinuate it as my sentiment then given that context

Is it possible for someone to lie .....yes. Apparently one of the boys did because he recanted. Did the priest? No idea. I don't think it's feasible it happened as was alleged so I tend to believe the priest as much more likely than not on this occasion. The fact there was a recant simply adds to my belief around the feasibility it occurred as the boys suggested. I don't.

Put simply no pedophile is going to flop his d**k out in the busiest part of the church on the busiest time without any grooming and hope no one sees him. In my mind it's a ludicrous suggestion.

Put simply no pedophile is going to flop his d**k out in the busiest part of the church on the busiest time without any grooming and hope no one sees him. In my mind it's a ludicrous suggestion.
I used to work with a bloke who was fired for masturbating in his office during work hours. An office where customers could (and did) see him. Do I know what his motivation was or what made him choose that time or place? Absolutely not, because it is not something I have experienced nor desired.

My point is, that whilst it may be a ludicrous suggestion to your mind, your view is (one would hope) not borne from a known experience.
Of course you are still entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to challenge that opinion. Are we going to change your mind/view? Hell no, but that has never stopped anyone on the internet before!

Do I think Pell was guilty? Based on my reading of the decisions and the jury verdict, I believe it was more probable than not. However, I have not seen or heard all the evidence, and therefore cannot say one way or the other with absolute certainty.

Given that there was a unanimous jury verdict, one would assume that the evidence of offending was damning, enough so for the jury to give this evidence (of offending) greater weight than the 'lack of opportunity' evidence.

FWIW, regardless of the people involved, I believe that the High Court decision sets a bloody dangerous precedent. The role of the jury is to weigh up the evidence and determine the facts on that basis. I mean, why bother with a jury when the High Court can just come along and decide what the jury can and cannot consider and what weight the jury must or must not apply to certain evidence?!!
Overturning a jury verdict effectively neuters the whole point of a jury... very dangerous. The concept of a jury is an incredibly powerful pillar for justice.

I'm not surprised with the HCA though given the High Court ruled that "absolute" does not mean absolute.

It also doesn't absolve Pell from his protection and support of pedo priests.

I used to work with a bloke who was fired for masturbating in his office during work hours. An office where customers could (and did) see him. Do I know what his motivation was or what made him choose that time or place? Absolutely not, because it is not something I have experienced nor desired.

My point is, that whilst it may be a ludicrous suggestion to your mind, your view is (one would hope) not borne from a known experience.
Of course you are still entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to challenge that opinion. Are we going to change your mind/view? Hell no, but that has never stopped anyone on the internet before!

Do I think Pell was guilty? Based on my reading of the decisions and the jury verdict, I believe it was more probable than not. However, I have not seen or heard all the evidence, and therefore cannot say one way or the other with absolute certainty.
ShaunDuggan

incorrect.

Unless he has been charged and found guilty of being one (without it being overturned), he isn't.

Again, he certainly is a POS for the abuse he knew about and did nothing to stop. But he personally is not a pedophile, as he has not been found guilty of being one.
The fact is he's most likely a paedophile. A man who is attracted to children. Whether he's been found guilty is irrelevant. You don't become a paedophile the instant you're found guilty.

The fact is he's most likely a paedophile. A man who is attracted to children. Whether he's been found guilty is irrelevant. You don't become a paedophile the instant you're found guilty.
He was best friends with paedophiles.

He protected paedophiles at the expense of vulnerable victims.

More than 1 witness has accused him of being a paedophile.

There is a hell of a lot of smoke...

He was best friends with paedophiles.

He protected paedophiles at the expense of vulnerable victims.

More than 1 witness has accused him of being a paedophile.

There is a hell of a lot of smoke...
Even if he wasn't personally diddling (doubtful... but anyway), the fact that he enabled pedos to become and/or continue to be prolific abusers basically makes him a pedo himself.

What a putrid creature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pell's mate Ridsdale charged again - another victim (#72), and up to 192 charges.

It's ok though, this one took place in Horsham, so George wouldn't have known about it. I mean how would he know anyway, when one of his closest personal and professional friends has been charged with abusing 72 victims? He only shared a house with him for years, many of the offences took place under Georgie boy's diocese, any number of family members and victims took it up with Pell directly, but the poor bugger was never aware that Ridsdale was probably the most notorious and prolific paedophile priest in Victoria.

"Going out again tonight Gerry?"

"Ah, yes George, more lambs to tend to, seems my work amongst the flock is never done. George?"

38age6.jpg

Absolute pieces of sh1t, the pair of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back