Get Sheedy?

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard Sheeds on SEN earlier today and he said he is definitely interested in coaching again.

Should we be looking at him?

I doubt that he's the right man for the job but I don't think he should be dismissed outright... you don't have a record of success like his by accident and he certainly ticks the boxes re media and marketing.

He can bring his own marshmellows.

Seriously, no. Laidley made him look ordinary, sadly, I'd rather Laidley over Sheedy.

He's over the hill, i dont think he really did anything worth hiring him for now. He is the opposite of what we need right now, we need a coach who will try players in different positions to find their strengths, Sheedy was always a "lock a player into a certain role" coach regardless of whether it was where they played their best.

I'm pretty sure he is laying ground work for the 2nd Sydney team job. Kept talking about building ateam from scratch and what he was able to do at Essendon which is bearing fruit now. Seemed to take ALL the credit for the wins the Bombers have had this year.

I reckon if he had a choice then West Sydney, Richmond, daylight, then us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wants to coach richmond :thumbsu:

Kevin Sheedy confirms he wants to coach Richmond Tigers

Jackie Epstein | July 02, 2009 12:00am
And he has the backing of Tiger greats including Tom Hafey, Kevin Bartlett and Francis Bourke.

Sheedy has decided he is the man who can turn around almost three decades of pain, after watching the Tigers being thrashed by St Kilda on Sunday.

"I don't like seeing Richmond down on the bottom for 25 years," Sheedy said.

"They expected to be up by now. What I saw on Sunday . . . the first quarter was good and the next three quarters were just embarrassing. I've got no doubt I can help Richmond."

After 27 years at Essendon, Sheedy returned to the Tigers this year in a marketing role.

Sheedy played 251 games with Richmond from 1967-79, winning three premierships, and coached Essendon to four flags in 27 years.

"You can't waste the knowledge and experience just because you and Essendon were tired of each other," Sheedy said.

"It doesn't just walk out of your brain. I can coach and I want to coach Richmond. How much more do the Tigers need to suffer?"

Hafey said Sheedy, who coached 635 games at Essendon and won four premierships, could be the club's saviour.

Bartlett launched a campaign on his SEN radio show to lift Sheedy into the job.

He said it was a no-brainer for the club and hoped the Richmond faithful would get behind the move.

"He's revitalised, he's fresh and the Tigers need him badly," Bartlett said.

"They would be silly not to appoint Kevin Sheedy as coach. They would be throwing away the chance of a lifetime. I'd help in any way I possibly could and that would be the same with anyone associated with the club. He has received massive support. Everyone's saying we'll get 50,000 members if we sign Sheeds."

Sheedy played 251 games with Richmond from 1967-79 and won three premierships.

Applicants for the coaching job have been asked to apply by tomorrow.

"I don't think Leigh Matthews and Kevin Sheedy will be applying, I think they'll be rung up," Sheedy said.

"If Richmond come and talk to me then I will feel it's an insult to the fans if I don't listen. By the age of 70 I can say: 'Well, I did put my hand up to coach Richmond, that's the least I did'. I can sit down with all my teammates and say I did it, whether I get it or not."

The Richmond job was put up for grabs after Terry Wallace quit last month.

Richmond declined to comment specifically on Sheedy yesterday but did not rule out appointing an experienced coach.

"We are happy to talk to anyone who is interested in the coaching position," said Tigers general manager of football Craig Cameron.

When told that Sheedy had declared his interest, Hafey said: "Thank goodness for that. If everyone in the world was available you would go with Sheedy. If he's interested, that's it, there wouldn't even be an interview. We've got to get a strong coach who can get the best out of those boys. This would be a saviour for the Tigers."

Bourke likes caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, but said he was inclined to back Sheedy: "Kevin Sheedy and Richmond, it's a natural fit," he said.

How about some reasons as to why not?

Not saying anything either way, just want to know.

He's over the hill. He may still be a wily old fox as the media like to run with but the facts don't lie. His last 2 contracts at Essendon were purely on the back of his self promoting abilities. His list management and trading since 2002 was worse than Laidley's. His first 2 flags were won nearly 2 era's ago and his last 2 were while they were cheating the salary cap. When they got busted they fell in a heap and there wasn't much Sheedy could do about it. His idea of replenishing the list was to do so with washed up players like Camporeale, Murphy, Allan and a 35 year old Paul Salmon. Good for Richmond if they want him but it would be a step backwards for us. He was a great coach but his time has come and gone AFAIC.

I heard Sheeds on SEN earlier today and he said he is definitely interested in coaching again.

Should we be looking at him?

I doubt that he's the right man for the job but I don't think he should be dismissed outright... you don't have a record of success like his by accident and he certainly ticks the boxes re media and marketing.

Watch out Wellsfan dosnt read this he will call you an imbicile and a moron but i would have to say no .:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back