Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friends, I'm drafting for you guys over in the BF phantom draft again this year https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-bigfooty-phantom-draft.1289726/#post-72650704

I've been looking into what you guys might want but I'd like to know first hand what you guys need in this draft

Not slow mids but mids who have speed and can spread from congestion with good ball use.
Possibly a mature key defender late and a quick back flanker (clark replacement).
If you could get taylor or knevitt and charlie dean that would be nice 😂

Hey friends, I'm drafting for you guys over in the BF phantom draft again this year https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-bigfooty-phantom-draft.1289726/#post-72650704

I've been looking into what you guys might want but I'd like to know first hand what you guys need in this draft

You did very well last year, so I'm looking forward to what you come up with this year :)

Biggest need is speed from the midfield, key defender and a rebounding half back. Guys I like around our mark are Matthew Roberts, Zac Taylor, Campbell Chesser, Marcus Windhager, Sam Butler, Mitch Knevitt, Leek Alleer, Tom Brown and Oscar Morrison.

Good luck!

:)

"Club sources said the Pies have traded pick 27 for the Tigers’ picks 38 and 40 in this year’s draft and their third-round pick in next year’s draft." - source

So Tigers gave up 894 points in this year's draft for 703 points, roughly an extra 200 points for the Pies plus next year's 3rd rounder. So 200-300 point upgrade is probably around the mark of what these club's are asking for.

Next years third will be worth id say 3-400 points so pies got about 5-600 points extra total if i was rich i wouldnt have given the future 3rd as well. Collingwood did very well albeit ill be interested to see how they create the list spots to use all of those picks for a bid match.

Fahey is super quick and a great kick from reports. Chesser and Tom Brown have similar attributes. We need one of those 3.

Wilmot could be our next full back. Is it time to start looking for Hawkin's replacement? Maybe the 2022 draft.

We don't need slow utilities who lack dash. We desperately need ball-winning ability and skill combined - Zac Taylor sounds like he fits the bill.

The fact is our mid-field is in serious decline.

Fahey is super quick and a great kick from reports. Chesser and Tom Brown have similar attributes. We need one of those 3.

Wilmot could be our next full back. Is it time to start looking for Hawkin's replacement? Maybe the 2022 draft.

We don't need slow utilities who lack dash. We desperately need ball-winning ability and skill combined - Zac Taylor sounds like he fits the bill.

The fact is our mid-field is in serious decline.

Wilmot (who i love for his upside as one of the youngest in this draft) is a rebounding half back not a key defender. I agree with the rest.

8th is pretty bad for a starting mid that played almost every game.

Parfitt didn't have a great year but would've finished ahead of Selwood with the same number of games (played one less and was injured early in one). Probably the same for Tuohy.

That's before you get to the obvious ones like Cameron, Duncan and Dangerfield that finished below him despite being better when on the field.

The stats still look good but they don't show how often he's being burnt on the spread from the contest. He's right on the edge and i don't think he can start in the centre square any more with the 666 rule. Start him on a forward flank and have him push up to be the extra midfielder.

Parfitt isnt fit to lace up Selwoods boots - so please dont mention them in the same sentence please

I wonder how Parfitt would go out at Carlton- given the precedents - i dont think very well at all - because he is not quick and cant kick over a jam tin

8th is pretty bad for a starting mid that played almost every game.

Parfitt didn't have a great year but would've finished ahead of Selwood with the same number of games (played one less and was injured early in one). Probably the same for Tuohy.

That's before you get to the obvious ones like Cameron, Duncan and Dangerfield that finished below him despite being better when on the field.

The stats still look good but they don't show how often he's being burnt on the spread from the contest. He's right on the edge and i don't think he can start in the centre square any more with the 666 rule. Start him on a forward flank and have him push up to be the extra midfielder.
I can’t engage with a starting premise that finishing 8th in a B&F is “pretty bad”. Utter nonsense.

I honestly don't think Selwood's dropped off much. Still averaged 23 disposals and five clearances this year. Top 10 in the comp for goal assists, top 20 for contested possessions, clearances and tackles. I thought he had a great 2021.
Can't help but feel that if the likes of Narkle or Parfitt produced a season like we saw from Joel that they would be getting praised for such efforts

But because it's Joel, there's a level of criticism leveled to him

I can’t engage with a starting premise that finishing 8th in a B&F is “pretty bad”. Utter nonsense.

You need to understand the voting system. 24 games are counted. Only 6 players played 24 or more games this season and Selwood finished 5th out of those (ahead of Bews and behind Henry, Hawkins, Smith and Blicavs).

Playing 24+ games is a massive advantage in the voting system so finishing 8th isn't particularly impressive. Eg: The coaches thought Close had more impact in 22 games than Selwood did in 24.

On a per game metric Selwood probably was more like 13th this year which really isn't great. Not terrible but not great.

You need to understand the voting system. 24 games are counted. Only 6 players played 24 or more games this season and Selwood finished 5th out of those (ahead of Bews and behind Henry, Hawkins, Smith and Blicavs).

Playing 24+ games is a massive advantage in the voting system so finishing 8th isn't particularly impressive. Eg: The coaches thought Close had more impact in 22 games than Selwood did in 24.

On a per game metric Selwood probably was more like 13th this year which really isn't great. Not terrible but not great.
I understand the voting system. If you want to produce a list of votes per game, go right ahead. It probably will show Selwood lower than 8th. If it does it won’t be “pretty bad” as you originally claimed.

Can't help but feel that if the likes of Narkle or Parfitt produced a season like we saw from Joel that they would be getting praised for such efforts

100%

Joel looks a tad small against the modern young midfielders but we need his calmness and good use of the ball, and as long as he doesn’t get bashed around by playing too many games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfitt isnt fit to lace up Selwoods boots - so please dont mention them in the same sentence please

What nonsense. Selwood is far from the player he once was and Parfitt consistently has to sacrifice his game to cover other the defensive deficiencies of other mids. Neither had especially good years. Parfitt can improve with more responsibility though.

I thought his pace was a weakness? I'm not saying we shouldn't draft him. The people making the decision will know far more than me. Just that in general big mids are overrated by fans (see Constable as exhibit A where nobody seems interested).

Slow inside mids who cant spread are overrated because of the interchange reductions.
Tall mids who can push back to intercept in defence and push forward and be a goalscoring threat are worth their weight in gold. Knevitts testing indicates he has the athleticism and the tank to do that and his in game play is very good imo.

Parfitt literally just produced a season equivalent to what Joel just did and is getting slammed for it.

Stop just looking at individual stats like that's the only thing that matters. Maybe look at the prelim final (or the second half of the semi final), how easily our opponents walked it out of stoppages and think about how bad our midfield would've looked if we'd spent the entire year without guys like Parfitt and O'Connor covering our other mids deficiencies.

Parfitt literally just produced a season equivalent to what Joel just did and is getting slammed for it.

Stop just looking at individual stats like that's the only thing that matters. Maybe look at the prelim final (or the second half of the semi final), how easily our opponents walked it out of stoppages and think about how bad our midfield would've looked if we'd spent the entire year without guys like Parfitt and O'Connor covering our other mids deficiencies.
We also watched those same guys do it to Bontempelli, Macrae, Libba, etc a couple of weeks later.

Missed out on pick 27 from pies, it's gone to Tigers.
So jealous that Richmond nabbed pick 27.
they go to the draft with 7, 15, 26, 27, 28.
After mids too!

Really hoping we can get 23 now, take two mids there (zac taylor please!)

As long as we get 23 it's ok. They were always going to trade up. We just need to get two picks in before they have that bunch of 3.

As long as we get 23 it's ok. They were always going to trade up. We just need toi get two picks in before they have that bunch of 3.

Agreed..im hoping we can trade into 23 so long as we dont have to drastically overpay to do it.

West Coast: Jarrod Brander has not been offered a contract for the 2022 season #AFL | #AFLTrade aflratings

So jealous that Richmond nabbed pick 27.
they go to the draft with 7, 15, 26, 27, 28.
After mids too!

Really hoping we can get 23 now, take two mids there (zac taylor please!)
Totally agree, been outplayed by the Tigers here, so really only 22 will bring a mid the 'smart' recruiters rate, and we will then end up with 3 picks just after Richmond 5 picks, to pick the less likely/more risky ones. Far better to trade 2 of those for one before 26 so we at least get2 decent mids in that are lower risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back