Expansion GIANTS hit 25,000+ members

Remove this Banner Ad

Great work GWS.

When they came it about 1/2 of the supporter base was in the ACT - established footy fans that were hungry for a team that would actually stay and cared. The orange is definitely increased here. But, obviously strong growth in W Sydney. Fantastic. Slowly grow membership and kids playing footy. Then adults playing footy, and then take over NRL land.

You are pretty optimistic about taking over.

Lions won three premierships but no-one I work with in Brisbane talks about them or AFL in general.

Hunt was a lot of wasted money for them, would have had 2-3 betters players early that could have seen them be more successful on field , it has been a failed experiment , don't know who would want to go there to turn things around

Maybe long term - yes.

But his move (from the Broncos) was much more media hyped than Ablett signing up with them.

Lions won three premierships but no-one I work with in Brisbane talks about them or AFL in general.
Ballpark 60% of Broncos crowds and more than the Super Rugby crowds, in a period when they have been losing most weeks. I think the Lions actually deserve a bit of credit - once they start winning again crowds will tick up.

Also no-one really expects GWS to "take over" but they will hopefully have a very solid future.

Ballpark 60% of Broncos crowds and more than the Super Rugby crowds, in a period when they have been losing most weeks. I think the Lions actually deserve a bit of credit - once they start winning again crowds will tick up.

Also no-one really expects GWS to "take over" but they will hopefully have a very solid future.

Mate. I would be lucky to have three of my work colleagues (out of around 50 people) that I can talk AFL with (luckily one of them is a North supporter).

Come State of origin, everyone is dressed up in QLD gear

There are differences between our strategy and Lions. Some because of opportunity and some strategy. The jury is still out but it's not all about on-fiekd performance.

A lot of the growth in junior footy and potentially the shortage of ovals is griwth in girls and womens footy. It's no coincidence we were keen to be a part of AFLW from the beginning. There's a very credible pathway from local footy in NSW to the AFLW Giants team as well which is really great.

Even the Netball team is not an accident, it's about us growing the brand in our zone and sinking roots into the community.

Hyperbole. But they can become a successful team with a strong fan base and support a viable junior and senior local competition/s

I lived in bris during the 3peat and it was the talk of town.

You couldnt get a ticket to a Lions game for love or money.

No doubt it's fallen off now but when they Win again they'll be all over it.

Media is still a problem. NRL have 6 or more pages from the back, then were lost within the page of soccer, union etc. before you get to the racing. I would imagine it’s about what the storm get in Melbourne.

It’s growing, and it’s becoming less of a novelty as the roots are starting to go deeper. The growth will only continue.
Agree. Sydney papers do us no favours at all. Horribly biased in their coverage.

In digital format you'll see NRL, racing and even surfing before GWS or Swans appear on the main page.

Took till after SL war for the Swans to get a positive news story in the papers
Tell me about it.
A NRL game with 7k attending gets back page coverage, while a few weeks ago we had a massive win against North and GWS won...we get nada. 8 pages into the back page.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quietly getting the job done in hostile territory. Already beating traditional NRL clubs at home.

Beat the tigers in the GF and watch the explosion

That's actually really impressive. I'm surprised to hear it's that high.

AFL shits all over the NRL in terms of membership numbers, though i don't know if their 'member' requirements and packages are as easy as the AFL's.

Just did a quick google search and it appears the Penrith Panthers have under 20k members and one of the bigger western sydney clubs in Paramatta Eels only have 25k as well and are actually the 3rd highest in the NRL...so GWS are matching them already.

If you want to use an expansion team as an example, Melbourne Storm have 25k members as well but have been in existence for quite a while now and are constantly at the top of the ladder and competing in Grand Finals.

Tell me about it.
A NRL game with 7k attending gets back page coverage, while a few weeks ago we had a massive win against North and GWS won...we get nada. 8 pages into the back page.

They sure do love their NRL up in Sydney...and are very protective of their game it seems. Most in the game don't actually seem to want to even expand it to a national competition, they are happy to keep it as a predominantly NSW/QLD competition for themselves. I think people realise it's under threat from AFL and in a way become defensive and block out the AFL to protect NRL.

I still remember my Sydney mates back in the day calling AFL soft and labelling it 'GayAFL' (classy, but we were young and this was like 10 years ago)...but apparently that's what a lot of NSW people thought of it and maybe still do.

I lived in bris during the 3peat and it was the talk of town.

You couldnt get a ticket to a Lions game for love or money.

No doubt it's fallen off now but when they Win again they'll be all over it.

Agree. But league will always dominate. QLDers are crazy come origin time.

I think we need some perspective.

GWS' home crowds against interstate opposition have averaged 9,111 in 2018.

North Melbourne's home crowds against interstate opposition (I have included game against Carlton in Tassie because in Tassie Carlton are an interstate team), their average crowd is 16,058. However if you take out the 2 interstate sides that have deep Victorian roots in Brisbane and Sydney, their average 12,928.

One is a 6 year old club in a non Aussie Rules market. The other is a 149 year old club in an Aussie Rules heartland. Food for thought.

I think we need some perspective.

GWS' home crowds against interstate opposition have averaged 9,111 in 2018.

North Melbourne's home crowds against interstate opposition (I have included game against Carlton in Tassie because in Tassie Carlton are an interstate team), their average crowd is 16,058. However if you take out the 2 interstate sides that have deep Victorian roots in Brisbane and Sydney, their average 12,928.

One is a 6 year old club in a non Aussie Rules market. The other is a 149 year old club in an Aussie Rules heartland. Food for thought.

Are you including our Canberra games?

Our Sydney games are averaging 10 1/2 k

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

why would you include tasmania in this? that's not a fair comparison as well as the fact that the game v carlton was terrible conditions.

take a look at saints numbers first before norths....

also has no one questioned the legitimacy of GWS crowd numbers and membership numbers? they give away tickets, have $1 pies and give away free memberships. There is nothing more the AFL want than for GWS to have great numbers and you're kidding yourself if you don't think they're inflated.

at the end of the day membership numbers are a d!ck measuring contest, teams have always created packages to fluff up the numbers and it's been happening for years - can only truly determine the size through profits.

Enough with the free f*#$ing membership bulls#*t.

so new junior registrations get a free 1 year 3 game junior membership. They're NOT COUNTED in the figures - and the parents have to pay to take them to the game anyway.

also - what's wrong with $1 pies?

edit: if you don't like pies, there's always the Snack Shack (nothing over $3) 4 fish cocktails, 3 chicken tenders & a small chips for less than a tenner.

Don't like that? try the kebabery, the wok&bowl, the fish & chip shop, the hot dog place or even the f**ing Subway. The burger bar doesn't do camel burgers anymore but their range is still pretty good.

one thing you'll never get traction on is having a go at the food options at Spotless.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back