Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm praying he does. Didn't he get a full preseason in. Then a quad strain, I guess that derailed his early season. I know he tackles hard. It's the busting out of the centre which is missing. What happens if its still not happening for Brad by the bye?

He didn't participate with the main group until after Christmas becuase he was recovering from the surgery. Soft tissue injuries are a given for players coming off a long term injury. If he can have an injury free pre-season he will be a very different player.

He had a full preseason in 2015 and I have heard directly from a current lets say staar player that he often caught himself watching in amazement during the match simulation training. Then he broke the foot and missed whole of 2015. Walshy was a massive Crouch fan.

Mate I think we are at cross purposes, going at it from different perspectives.

I get that my inside beast comment was OTT when measured against season stats. I note all of the averages you've provided.

After that game v WCE and also the Syd game I felt like chucking stats out of the window as so many of our guys rack up great numbers but wet the bed when the heat is really on. It's actually been going on for years.

I resolved after that I didn't care much for averages anymore, what I cared about was who did we have when the guns were roaring (borrowed from my workplace ;)) - so when I looked at Gibbs' performances against the big midfields I could see a player who can bring it when it matters.

So when I was talking inside beast I was really referring to specific games not averages, games where he was absolutely an inside beast and he drove his team to a win or a close loss. What I see is he has that ability. Now I accept he's been inconsistent and you can rightly point to that. I think that's had a lot to do with how he's been managed and that he's only been in the best role for him for 3 years.

If Gibbs can become more consistent he is a genuine match winner and that's proven. As much as I like Lyons, even on his best day, he simply can't be that player.

As to him being the difference between top and 4th, clearly no one player is the difference, Geelong proved that. There needs to be a push from beneath from guys like Knight, Milera and Wigg plus there needs to be improvement from B Crouch in particular - all those guys will benefit from Gibbs and Sloane driving the bus. But it has to be a whole of team effort.

I'm all for using the eye test when it comes to evaluating players and agree that stats should be used to corroborate rather than indicate. But you did pull out stats to support your assertion. By the way, for context, that Geelong game saw Danger still pull 30+ possies. Whilst i accept he was not his influential self, it's hardly a torching, particularly when you consider Selwood was playing injured that game. Murphy was also out early, so both midfields were playing short.

What bothers me about the Gibbs situation is that our approach doesn't seem to be part of the aggressive push to improve our midfield that was mooted post season. It annoys the hell out of me that the club are happy to give away our draft position this year, but haven't balanced that by smashing trade week. I don't buy the talk on Rockliff, he was available and we should have taken him. By only going half assed on Trade week, it doesn't actually achieve anything.

If Gibbs was Dangerfield, id happily sell the farm, because Dangerfield in our team makes us a contender. Same with Martin. But Gibbs is a rung below those players, and on his own is not the difference. We need to do more, but it appears now that we won't.

So what was the plan? If Gibbs wasn't available, who were we targeting? Did we give up on an elite target because Gibbs put his hand up? Did we have another target that fell through? I don't think so. The retention of Thompson indicates to me that we wanted insurance, because we didn't have targets. Now we pissed off a decent midfielder to bring in a better midfielder, without bringing the list much closer to contending, and there's a real risk that we may even miss out on Gibbs, leaving us even further behind the 8 ball. To me, that's s**t list management.

Is Bryce a very good player? Of course he is. Will he make a difference? Most likely. Will it be enough? Unlikely.

Last edited:

Be so glad when this s**t is over. If we throw 2 first rounders for a 27 year old then I'm done. Cautiously hoping it's a first and 2nd and that we can wrangle something more than just Gibbs on his own.

Why didn't your people go after Rockliff with more gusto ?? I would have thought he was a good option for your midfield.
Majority on this board are keen to get rocky, but AFC not so much.

It's been alleged it's because he is on his 2nd strike.

Yet they didn't want Lyons, who frankly would be in their best 10 players first year.

Smedts!! NFI No wonder they fluctuate from s**t to basket case.

Exactly why we should have been pushing DMac toward them.

I cant wait another year. I will melt hard if we don't improve our midfield with class. Sloane + 2 young Crouch boys cannot compete for a flag.

Tend to agree

The analogue if not doing the Gibbs deals is not doing no deals at all

They are different choices, and different paths to different outcomes

Shrugging shoulders and saying we tried for Gibbs didn't happen is bordering on negligence if nothing is done instead

We have a need, it can't ignored

Think of it like Christmas Eve and you haven't got Christmas lunch sorted.

You go to the central market and find the best turkey you can. The wife and kids agree it's the best. But because it's nearing closing time you expect a discount. Butcher says no way, this is the best bird here and you're risking toast for Christmas lunch.

Stand off. You negotiate the best price you think is fair.

Now if you overpay and spend all your money so there is no food for Boxing Day, the family is going to be pissed

If you bury your head in the sand and don't agree a fair deal for the turkey, whilst the market shuts the family is going to be pissed

You can't serve vegemite on toast for Christmas lunch and say it's not your fault cause the butcher wouldn't relent

Your wife hits you over the head, takes the kids, moves in with her mother whilst yelling at you "there were other ******* butchers that's why it's called a market you moron. Why didn't you go to another stand before it closed???!!?

I should have married your best friend Bob, and have been shagging your brother"

Moral of the story, don't come home without some turkey; and especially don't whine like a little bitch it's not your fault. Yes it is. The butcher was an arsehole but you're a moron

What is it with the explosion of Carlton posters tonight? They are certainly up and about, perhaps they should wait until the end of the trade period before they get cocky.
I don't reckon so many will want to be here tomorrow, so they are getting in while it is palatable... ;)

Majority on this board are keen to get rocky, but AFC not so much.

It's been alleged it's because he is on his 2nd strike.

I know he has a bad reputation for ostracising teammates etc but you'd like to think getting traded out to another club may make the penny drop a little harder.

He has had a wake-up call though given no other club wanted him either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for using the eye test when it comes to evaluating players and agree that stats should be used to corroborate rather than indicate. But you did pull out stats to support your assertion. By the way, for context, that Geelong game saw Danger still pull 30+ possies. Whilst i accept he was not his influential self, it's hardly a torching, particularly when you consider Selwood was playing injured that game. Murphy was also out early, so both midfields were playing short.

What bothers me about the Gibbs situation is that our approach doesn't seem to be part of the aggressive push to improve our midfield that was mooted post season. It annoys the hell out of me that the club are happy to give away our draft position this year, but haven't balanced that by smashing trade week. I don't buy the talk on Rockliff, he was available and we should have taken him. By only going half assed on Trade week, it doesn't actually achieve anything.

If Gibbs was Dangerfield, id happily sell the farm, because Dangerfield in our team makes us a contender. Same with Martin. But Gibbs is a rung below those players, and on his own is not the difference. We need to do more, but it appears now that we won't.

So what was the plan? If Gibbs wasn't available, who were we targeting? Did we give up on an elite target because Gibbs put his hand up? Did we have another target that fell through? I don't think so. The retention of Thompson indicates to me that we wanted insurance, because we didn't have targets. Now we pissed off a decent midfielder to bring in a better midfielder, without bringing the list much closer to contending, and there's a real risk that we may even miss out on Gibbs, leaving us even further behind the 8 ball. To me, that's s**t list management.

Is Bryce a very good player? Of course he is. Will he make a difference? Most likely. Will it be enough? Unlikely.

I agree that our list management has been strange this trade period. We had a glaring issue with our list and we have basically 5 hours tomorrow to fix it, and by all reports we will only get one good mid at the expense of trading out Lyons.

I would have thought a better strategy would be to replace Thommo and retain Lyons unless you could trade in two mids to replace both.

We should have taken on Rockliff, just like we should have paid a second round pick for Bennell last year. Take on a risk and get some potential reward.

Tend to agree

Shrugging shoulders and saying we tried for Gibbs didn't happen is bordering on negligence if nothing is done instead

You go to the central market and find the best turkey you can. The wife and kids agree it's the best. But because it's nearing closing time you expect a discount. Butcher says no way, this is the best bird here and you're risking toast for Christmas lunch.

Now if you overpay and spend all your money so there is no food for Boxing Day, the family is going to be pissed

If you bury your head in the sand and don't agree a fair deal for the turkey, whilst the market shuts the family is going to be pissed

You can't serve vegemite on toast for Christmas lunch and say it's not your fault cause the butcher wouldn't relent

Your wife hits you over the head, takes the kids, moves in with her mother whilst yelling at you "there were other ******* butchers that's why it's called a market you moron. Why didn't you go to another stand before it closed???!!?

I should have married your best friend Bob, and have been shagging your brother"

Moral of the story, don't come home without some turkey; and especially don't whine like a little bitch it's not your fault. Yes it is. The butcher was an arsehole but you're a moron

That is all well and good but, what if all the other butchers only had chooks to sell? Would the family be happy to have chicken instead of turkey?

Tend to agree

Ha ha post of the day.

but u lose the opportunity to really contend now. Ur window is open right now. letting it go a year and u run the risk of injuries, gameplan being worked out etc etc. Many quality mids wins finals and adding gibbs will relieve the pressure on the others and make them better - that's why its important for u and its why this reward is worth two first rounders. tell ur club to show some courage and get the deal done!

Sure mate, I'll get Reidy, Roo and Fages on the phone right now.

Tend to agree

.... kinda reads like it's from personal experience!

Honestly can't disagree with most of that and the LM point is well made.

In some respects I think this is an odd situation in so far as once a player gets to 28 you should really know what he brings in its entirety. I still think there is a bit of blue sky to come with Gibbs even at this later stage of his career.

That's just a hunch

Tend to agree

Are you ok Sanders this felt too personal

What did bob do to you

Probably, but we seem to turn Carlton players into stars. The fact he is already A grade....with a fitness base and the right team....he could take his game to another level. I would back us to do it too.

Roll the dice and do the trade.

If we crash and burn, then at least we actually gave ourselves a shot at it.
Be so glad when this s**t is over. If we throw 2 first rounders for a 27 year old then I'm done. Cautiously hoping it's a first and 2nd and that we can wrangle something more than just Gibbs on his own.
if you don't get Gibbs would you be interested in cam O'Shea?
Please consider
Imagine your centre line round 1
Dmac. Thommo. O'Shea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back