News Glen Bartlett launches legal action against MFC's Kate Roffey and other club officials; "Appeasement" over Goodwin's behaviour; Tissue required...

Remove this Banner Ad

And you think the media didn't know about Bombers drug issues for years beforehand? Is there anyone who didn't know? Much like Goodwin, they choose not to report it because they all want to sniff the liniment or not bite the hand that feeds them.

Journos are all perfect and have no skeletons to hide.

This whole thing is a complete non story. It’s about a guy who was president and desperately wanted to still be president when they were premiers and wasn’t because he went way too hard on the coach and the board unanimously disagreed with him and replaced him.

This whole thing is a complete non story. It’s about a guy who was president and desperately wanted to still be president when they were premiers and wasn’t because he went way too hard on the coach and the board unanimously disagreed with him and replaced him.

The story is the role of the AFL in club management.
That it involves the AFL needing to get involved in 'a cot case' club (the members had failed) & imposed their own team to do it.

"Run out of town" after pushing for hair testing for club officials.

"A tissue and a distressed look"

You lost me at Herald Sun

Is anyone surprised there were some illicit substances being used? The AFL is just a huge boys club. It’s a big football club. The players, officials, executives etc are just expansive examples of your local club people. The players in the AFL are just like local footy players but with more money. They all take drugs, they all act up, there’s no real ‘professionalism’ to all of this. It’s no different to cashed up stockbrokers, lawyers, tradies, union boys, all throwing their money around, carrying on and getting on the gear.

The AFL hasn’t even really progressed in 30-40 years. Still got racism from the jocular backward ocker fans who live for it 24/7. Still recycle the same old people through the system (mates for the boys), still give the boys plum media jobs in front of people studying and working in media, and still flood the season with the same negative tall poppies looking to scrape dirt and have a laugh on garbage TV like 360, OTC etc.

I understand Bartletts approach, and it’d be great if he could get some cut through with some of his ideas, but the AFL industry is a closed parochial boys club where tokenism exists to pander to the PC brigade and fill quotas. I reckon illicit drug abuse would be very high within the AFL due to the fact of the age group of its players and coaches, the money involved in wages, and the boys will be boys circular jerking that will never really dissipate.

Is anyone surprised there were some illicit substances being used? The AFL is just a huge boys club. It’s a big football club. The players, officials, executives etc are just expansive examples of your local club people. The players in the AFL are just like local footy players but with more money. They all take drugs, they all act up, there’s no real ‘professionalism’ to all of this. It’s no different to cashed up stockbrokers, lawyers, tradies, union boys, all throwing their money around, carrying on and getting on the gear.

The AFL hasn’t even really progressed in 30-40 years. Still got racism from the jocular backward ocker fans who live for it 24/7. Still recycle the same old people through the system (mates for the boys), still give the boys plum media jobs in front of people studying and working in media, and still flood the season with the same negative tall poppies looking to scrape dirt and have a laugh on garbage TV like 360, OTC etc.

I understand Bartletts approach, and it’d be great if he could get some cut through with some of his ideas, but the AFL industry is a closed parochial boys club where tokenism exists to pander to the PC brigade and fill quotas. I reckon illicit drug abuse would be very high within the AFL due to the fact of the age group of its players and coaches, the money involved in wages, and the boys will be boys circular jerking that will never really dissipate.

It certainly exists but I don’t think it’s as high as people might think. Of course there’s types who get away with what they can but they’re also in a high performance environment a huge chunk of the year, six days a week, and it’s not that easy to cut loose. It’s a massively monitored environment. You can’t call in sick like the rest of those professions you mention. The club doctor will be on your doorstep if you do.

There’s also a lot of footy and fitness mega nerds in the AFL. Blokes who weigh their food, don’t touch alcohol, time their sleep, etc. A lot of players are very very boring types.

When they do party there are many who get into it. But they’re just not able to that often. Not like other young people who will be out on the tiles 2 nights a week or more, every week without fail.

So footballers operate machinery, etc and could possibly kill an opponent?

When you have that sort of divide, you potentially harness cultural unrest

An organisation has a duty of care to all employees. Imagine a coach high on a substance, thrashing his players on the track, leading to injury
It isn't limited to those industries. Many contracts have clauses regarding illicit substances and so they can test you and sack you for breach of contract.

I agree with almost everything you say except this line characterising this type of fan as the group providing the racism. I am fairly certain in saying people who fit into the ''ocker fans who live for it 24/7'' group are no more or less likely to be racist than anyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport...ws-story/72ce7365ac4c2ebb658e6f3d7a06a0ef?amp

Laspas details one incident at the VIP September Club at the MCG after the 2019 AFL grand final where “Mr Goodwin stumbled into us outside” a marquee.

“Mr Goodwin was arm in arm with a woman … who was not his wife … and with another couple I did not know, incoherent and appeared to me to be affected by either alcohol or some other substance,” she alleges.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Key part of that story was that there was another couple there. While I wouldn't do it in front of my wife purely out of respect, I've hugged and walked arm in arm with female colleagues at work events, in a purely friendly and jovial manner. This is sounding more and more like an attack on his character. It's getting very personal.

Outside of that nugget, nothing in the story is new. The Herald Sun has simply rehashed it as new procedings take place.

Goodwin has also engaged a defamation lawyer. Which in my view points to a lot of what's been reported as purely hearsay. No one seems to have actually seen anything. It's all "I heard".

And Bartlett's fiance says she saw him drunk... or maybe on drugs? Like that's a big allegation. How can she tell the difference? Is him being drunk a bad thing?

This whole scandal seems to be saying a lot without saying much at all. Must be tough on Goodwin. Seems like he's being dragged through the mud here is how it all reads.

Key part of that story was that there was another couple there. While I wouldn't do it in front of my wife purely out of respect, I've hugged and walked arm in arm with female colleagues at work events, in a purely friendly and jovial manner. This is sounding more and more like an attack on his character. It's getting very personal.

Outside of that nugget, nothing in the story is new. The Herald Sun has simply rehashed it as new procedings take place.

Goodwin has also engaged a defamation lawyer. Which in my view points to a lot of what's been reported as purely hearsay. No one seems to have actually seen anything. It's all "I heard".

And Bartlett's fiance says she saw him drunk... or maybe on drugs? Like that's a big allegation. How can she tell the difference? Is him being drunk a bad thing?

This whole scandal seems to be saying a lot without saying much at all. Must be tough on Goodwin. Seems like he's being dragged through the mud here is how it all reads.

His defamation lawyer is ready this thread as we speak

Oh no, he had an arm around a woman who wasn't his (now ex) wife? And he was intoxicated? Huge if true.

* me, Glen, I guess you've noticed its nearly September again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back