Status in Question Goddard to Fremantle on a 4 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't hear Karl Langdon mention anything about Goddard signing a deal with Freo on 6PR's sportstalk tonight.

If it was true you'd think he would have said something about it.

He's waiting to put it in Sunday's paper

What is your sauce GL ?

Source is coming from inside the Saints themselves, they have almost conceded he is gone. Freo have more money to spend than what you would think, Freo knows they are no hope of getting Cloke so that money is being pushed Goddards way, not all of it but a fair chunk.

If anyone thinks Goodard would head to Freo for $600,000, they are delusional. He might as well stay where he is.

If Saints fans found out that Goddard had gone to Freo for $600,000 and got only one draft pick for him and their club didnt match the offer, I reckon they would burn the joint down, membership would be lucky to hit 10,000 next year.

Source is coming from inside the Saints themselves, they have almost conceded he is gone. Freo have more money to spend than what you would think, Freo knows they are no hope of getting Cloke so that money is being pushed Goddards way, not all of it but a fair chunk.

If anyone thinks Goodard would head to Freo for $600,000, they are delusional. He might as well stay where he is.

If Saints fans found out that Goddard had gone to Freo for $600,000 and got only one draft pick for him and their club didnt match the offer, I reckon they would burn the joint down, membership would be lucky to hit 10,000 next year.

There is a Salary minimum as well as a salary cap max. Do you think some players at Freo will be taking a big cut to get him in.
Looks like the receipe for some future resentment.

There is a Salary minimum as well as a salary cap max. Do you think some players at Freo will be taking a big cut to get him in.
Fairly sure we've locked all of our "name" players away on lengthy contracts. The list managers appear to have done a good job of keeping the important players off the market, and there really hasn't been any indication from any player that they are holding out for better terms (except Crowley mid-season but he has recently signed on for another 2 years). McPharlin is probably the only one I can think of that isn't already locked away, and he has a history of not signing during the season.

There's always a risk of some "lesser" players feeling like they deserve more, but I'm confident that our list managers know what they are doing (something I couldn't have said a few years ago).

Plus as everyone keeps telling us Sandi and Pav aren't getting any younger, there's definitely some cash available for a big signing. Then as long as we've had some success over the next two years and can sell ourselves as a good option if players want to win a flag we should be in a good position when the likes of Hill, Fyfe etc start coming out of contract.

Looks like the receipe for some future resentment

Pavs on the veterans list and pretty sure sandi will be moved to that next year. Our 2 highest paid players on the vets list next year should free up a few 100k! Surprisingly our list managers are finally doing a good job!
Well, so it would seem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard others who have had inside info in the past saying that its rubbish.
I'm over all the speculation. I don't think I'll be overly emotional about it one way or another.

On one hand we keep Goddard. On the other we have our own space in the cap to trade in a much needed key position player and we get an extra draft pick for a player who we've used for the best part of a decade.
In some way's the latter has more of an upside. I'm certainly not for "keeping him at any cost"

Let's ask the Saints supporters.
If you found out that Goddard had left to play with the Dockers because your club wouldn't match Freo's offer of $600,000, Would you be a little annoyed??

I've heard others who have had inside info in the past saying that its rubbish.
I'm over all the speculation. I don't think I'll be overly emotional about it one way or another.

On one hand we keep Goddard. On the other we have our own space in the cap to trade in a much needed key position player and we get an extra draft pick for a player who we've used for the best part of a decade.
In some way's the latter has more of an upside. I'm certainly not for "keeping him at any cost"

I hear you SS, I'm not sure whether he will go or not, just passing on what I've heard from very good sources. Personal opinion is he will leave the Saints and Freo appears to be the best fit but I have been wrong before and will
Be wrong again.

Pavlich and Sandilands on big money but who else?

Freo don't have a problem of having too many big $$ players on their list compared to say Hawks, Carlton or Pies.

I thought it was capped at $200,000 per player?

dont think I ever saw an official statement on what it was after this year but certainly the big footy threads were claiming $100,00?

200k works better for Freo so hoping that's the ruling but either way I think we're fine for salary cap now and it's these deals that will be important come around 2014/15.

Last I heard was that you could continue to use the old method (two who are 30 and have been at your club for 10 years can have half of their salaries outside the cap), or you could use the new method (as many as you like who have been at your club for 10 years can have approx $115K of each of their contracts outside the cap).

So, on the original method, you could have two who are on $1mil and $800K and therefore $900K of their contracts would go outside the cap (possibly Freo next year- that's why they have so much cap space), while another club that has 5 eligible for the new method can have $115K of each of their contracts outside the cap ($575K). Whichever method we choose, we could have around $700K outside the cap next year, with Riewoldt eligible for the old method (where you have to be 30, plus at your club for 10 years) and new (where you just have to have been there for 10 years, even if you're only 28/29).

If you found out that Goddard had left to play with the Dockers because your club wouldn't match Freo's offer of $600,000, Would you be a little annoyed??
I'd be mighty annoyed, but that won't happen. Firstly, because we're apparently offering him that already and secondly, because, even if we didn't want to keep him for that price, we could still match it, so that we would then be able to trade him to Freo (or another club), which would mean we could get more than just one pick for him.

I'd be mighty annoyed, but that won't happen. Firstly, because we're apparently offering him that already and secondly, because, even if we didn't want to keep him for that price, we could still match it, so that we would then be able to trade him to Freo (or another club), which would mean we could get more than just one pick for him.

I agree, I only posted that because some of mentioned that the dollar figures I have mentioned are wrong and the Saints have only offered around $500,000, Christ Kosi is probably on close to that. If he stays, it won't be for the $$$.

$600 is around the line to me. Its pretty high without being overly exorbitant. I'd hope that they match that amount, but wouldn't want them to go much higher.
Riewoldt is reported to be on $800k ish ( last three years I think ) and in light of his injury and subsequent NQR performance you wonder if it was worth it. However with Riewoldt a hard to replace key forward its a different case to someone who is more the icing on the cake ( where the cake is the midfield ).

The club needs to look to their future, and I wouldn't want to be pissing off the likes of Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven, Ahmed Saad or even Rhys Stanley when their next contracts come up, because we put all the eggs in the Goddard basket.

The club needs to look to their future, and I wouldn't want to be pissing off the likes of Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven, Ahmed Saad or even Rhys Stanley when their next contracts come up, because we put all the eggs in the Goddard basket.
When you consider Riewoldt is eligible for the "veteran's list" this year (meaning we'll be able to put an extra $400K or more of his contract outside the cap), plus the fact Kosi will almost certainly be retiring at the end of next year (freeing up another big chunk of money), plus possibly Hayes and Milne as well, freeing up maybe close to $1mil more, I don't see how that is going to be an issue at all.

If we've been able to get everyone under the cap in recent years, with all the "stars" we've had, then getting everyone under the cap in the next few years ought to be a piece of piss in comparison (especially with the salary cap increasing). Watters even stated the other day that our cap is likely to open up considerably in 12-18 months time, so if we really want to keep BJ, we ought to be able to somewhat back-end his contract pretty easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back