Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is the club isn't secure yet, so as a result neither are the supporters. Also, they cop plenty of criticism here on BF, so they have become so defensive as a result that even valid criticism is shot down.

I've been through it myself several years ago, when I dared criticize the decision by the brain surgeons running the Giants to sponsor and lend their name to the Manly senior club here in Sydney.

I strongly support the Giants as a concept and as a club, don't get me wrong, but their approach to promoting themselves has often left me scratching my head. They could certainly be far more true to the "GWS" branding, that's for sure.

They will fail if they don't.

Says the bloke jumping into the conversation earlier when discsussing Tassie.

Pointing out inaccuracies and double standards is not defensive.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sure.

They will fail if they don't.
I am not sure they will fail, but if they fully embrace what they purport to be representing (ie the GWS area) I just think the road will be quicker and easier for them.

I am not sure they will fail, but if they fully embrace what they purport to be representing (ie the GWS area) I just think the road will be quicker and easier for them.

Just imo, but I think you're being overly harsh on gws

Most fans for all clubs don't know the AGM (or equivalent) exists, and most have zero interest in the b&f because if its price tag.

What they care about is accessability to the game and their community engagement. Gws have been putting in a tonne of work from the Hills down to Campbelltown. The number of schools allowing programs has increased, as have the number of publicly accessible ovals for community use.

As for GameDay, showgrounds is easier to get to for most in the west via both bus and car than a lot of alternate grounds in the region. Sure it ain't perfect, but geography and transport links make transport compromised from the start for any discussion like this in Sydney

I'd definitely recommend you do the trip up there for a game one year too. Gws do work hard to make it a really family day feel, and imo it's working (I was genuinely shocked at the number of kids at the game

Just imo, but I think you're being overly harsh on gws

Most fans for all clubs don't know the AGM (or equivalent) exists, and most have zero interest in the b&f because if its price tag.

What they care about is accessability to the game and their community engagement. Gws have been putting in a tonne of work from the Hills down to Campbelltown. The number of schools allowing programs has increased, as have the number of publicly accessible ovals for community use.

As for GameDay, showgrounds is easier to get to for most in the west via both bus and car than a lot of alternate grounds in the region. Sure it ain't perfect, but geography and transport links make transport compromised from the start for any discussion like this in Sydney

I'd definitely recommend you do the trip up there for a game one year too. Gws do work hard to make it a really family day feel, and imo it's working (I was genuinely shocked at the number of kids at the game
I'm not criticizing the venue where they play, I am aware of the dearth of suitable venues. And I know people who go and say it's a good day. (I live in Sydney).

School promotion and putting GWS in your name doesn't make you a Western Sydney club. There is far more to it than that.

Which is why I brought up the issue of the KSM presentations as an example. Holding all your functions in Western Sydney (not just KSM by the way, there are Grand Final functions, probably ladies' functions, etc) is such a simple thing to do and shows you are serious about the area. Holding a function at Star City doesn't.

The silly thing is that if they did it properly, they could make it work in their favour. Rotate the KSM in particular around the LGA's they represent (subject to suitable venues of course) and make a big deal of it - eg invite the press, dignitaries, pollies, local junior senior & junior club reps, etc. It gets their "brand" out there.

I mean, they've got to organize these functions anyway, so why not make it beneficial in the process?

Then of course there is the issue of playing games in Canberra, which gives the suspicion that it's "Plan b" if Western Sydney doesn't work out.

And let's not forget the stupidity of their sponsorship of Manly, which pissed off pretty much the entire senior football community in the area they were supposed to represent in one fell swoop. (The funniest thing about that is that I went to games that Manly played and their players and supporters HATED being called the Giants - what a brilliant strategic move that was all round!).

Comparisons to the Swans and Melbourne clubs are pretty much pointless. These clubs are fully established and have moved past the "local area representation" phase, the Giants haven't. The Giants are still in their infancy and are promoting themselves as "GWS". It's in their name, it's their identity and it's what they are trying to establish themselves on.

The problem is that the Giants are only partially embracing the GWS area, when it's in their own interests to fully do so. At the moment they seem to want a bit each way.

I'm not criticizing the venue where they play, I am aware of the dearth of suitable venues. And I know people who go and say it's a good day. (I live in Sydney).

School promotion and putting GWS in your name doesn't make you a Western Sydney club. There is far more to it than that.

Which is why I brought up the issue of the KSM presentations as an example. Holding all your functions in Western Sydney (not just KSM by the way, there are Grand Final functions, probably ladies' functions, etc) is such a simple thing to do and shows you are serious about the area. Holding a function at Star City doesn't.

The silly thing is that if they did it properly, they could make it work in their favour. Rotate the KSM in particular around the LGA's they represent (subject to suitable venues of course) and make a big deal of it - eg invite the press, dignitaries, pollies, local junior senior & junior club reps, etc. It gets their "brand" out there.

I mean, they've got to organize these functions anyway, so why not make it beneficial in the process?

Then of course there is the issue of playing games in Canberra, which gives the suspicion that it's "Plan b" if Western Sydney doesn't work out.

And let's not forget the stupidity of their sponsorship of Manly, which pissed off pretty much the entire senior football community in the area they were supposed to represent in one fell swoop. (The funniest thing about that is that I went to games that Manly played and their players and supporters HATED being called the Giants - what a brilliant strategic move that was all round!).

Comparisons to the Swans and Melbourne clubs are pretty much pointless. These clubs are fully established and have moved past the "local area representation" phase, the Giants haven't. The Giants are still in their infancy and are promoting themselves as "GWS". It's in their name, it's their identity.

So the problem is that they are only partially embracing the GWS area, where it's in their own interests to fully do so. At the moment they seem to want a bit each way.

The manly thing I don't disagree, but there was some stupid local footy politics behind it off memory (I remember it was discussed a lot on this board at the time)

Disagree with Canberra being a plan b. It's acknowledging the reality that some club's now split their geog territory (dogs/Balla, north/Hobart, hawks/Launceston, gc/Cairns, Melbourne/nt, port/China, saints/NZ)

Canberra will never host a side for 11 games permanently, so gws straddling western Sydney and Canberra makes sense imo

The manly thing I don't disagree, but there was some stupid local footy politics behind it off memory (I remember it was discussed a lot on this board at the time)

Disagree with Canberra being a plan b. It's acknowledging the reality that some club's now split their geog territory (dogs/Balla, north/Hobart, hawks/Launceston, gc/Cairns, Melbourne/nt, port/China, saints/NZ)

Canberra will never host a side for 11 games permanently, so gws straddling western Sydney and Canberra makes sense imo
It doesn't have to be the reality, it's all about perception.

It doesn't have to be the reality, it's all about perception.

Agree with that, but I don't think anyone is talking Canberra plan b outside big footy people

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cute thread.
Suns (and giants) aren’t going anywhere. Ever. No more teams will fold like fitzroy did. Nor relocate.
People should save their anger and time posting threads about this as its a waste of time. Same as threads on grand final away from mcg. Its not going to happen.

Cute thread.
Suns (and giants) aren’t going anywhere. Ever. No more teams will fold like fitzroy did. Nor relocate.
People should save their anger and time posting threads about this as its a waste of time. Same as threads on grand final away from mcg. Its not going to happen.

Well thats that! Close down BF.;)

Cute thread.

Only while the money keeps flowing into the AFL.

But if the TV rights comes in 30% less than forecast.....

Cute thread.
That's the bottom line. Some of the criticism is insane. I particularly chuckle when supporters of the Swans get all condescending. They have us a great example of what not to do. We're so far in front of where they were at after 7 years in Sydney they really should be ashamed.

Only while the money keeps flowing into the AFL.

But if the TV rights comes in 30% less than forecast.....
Nonsense. That these things are a hot topic when we lose a few games tells you everything you should need to know. Both the AFL and the expansion clubs have said it's the long game from day one.

People in here are ignorant of the fact that Gold Coast has a strong AFL presence. I would say it's split 50/50 between AFL and NRL here. GWS was always a tougher market to crack, but i would be removing teams like St Kilda and North before Gold Coast

People in here are ignorant of the fact that Gold Coast has a strong AFL presence. I would say it's split 50/50 between AFL and NRL here. GWS was always a tougher market to crack, but i would be removing teams like St Kilda and North before Gold Coast

Im with you a couple of the poorly supported Melbourne clubs will go first if any at all.The next TV deal will have the biggest impact if it drops.

Nonsense. That these things are a hot topic when we lose a few games tells you everything you should need to know. Both the AFL and the expansion clubs have said it's the long game from day one.

Don't take it personally because it's not just the Suns and GWS that would be in the firing line. There are clubs that have been around for 100 years and still require millions from the AFL every year just to stay afloat. But the AFL's current strategy of simply throwing money at clubs without addressing the underlying problem is fine whilst the money is actually coming in. But if the revenue was curtailed significantly then the money may not be there to patch over the cracks.

You say "Nonsense", but what options would the AFL have if they lose $100 million in revenue every year from the TV rights?

Don't take it personally because it's not just the Suns and GWS that would be in the firing line. There are clubs that have been around for 100 years and still require millions from the AFL every year just to stay afloat. But the AFL's current strategy of simply throwing money at clubs without addressing the underlying problem is fine whilst the money is actually coming in. But if the revenue was curtailed significantly then the money may not be there to patch over the cracks.

You say "Nonsense", but what options would the AFL have if they lose $100 million in revenue every year from the TV rights?
If we get invaded by aliens that would be a real risk to. If victorious they may not allow the game to be played. The game is not shrinking in numbers attending games or viewing so it's not going to happen.
Rationalization might and possibly should happen, but I really dont get the what the age of the club has to do with it. That's clearly a fallacy, decisions would have to made on projected future.

If we get invaded by aliens that would be a real risk to. If victorious they may not allow the game to be played. The game is not shrinking in numbers attending games or viewing so it's not going to happen.
Rationalization might and possibly should happen, but I really dont get the what the age of the club has to do with it. That's clearly a fallacy, decisions would have to made on projected future.

You don't think a drop in TV rights income is a realistic possibility? I'm certainly not suggesting that will happen but given the radical change going on in the industry you'd be incredibly naive to think the odds are on par with an alien invasion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back