Goldstein, 12 mths left on contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This week's effort in my time following Nth has been huge as far as extensions of contracts and recruiting off field staff.
But there is an elephant sitting in the room, his name is Todd Goldstein. I would prefer (if the club wishes to keep him) that we sign him away for another 2 yrs on top of his 12 mths remaining.............I think its fair to say that 90% of the more important players of our group are locked away, that "ol golden stone" isnt one of them. Now Im not back tracking on my views of him , sure he is a class palm ruckman (albeit a little on the soft side) but we've witnessed this week that other clubs are willing to let go big men due to their list management position..........How Hawthorn can score McEnvoy has me gobsmacked. But good luck to them.
Nth Melb needs Goldsteins signature for an extension of 2 yrs (If we want to keep him) or offload him now this week and score a replacement for Petrie ( yep you got it and you all know who).........while he is currency to the club.
Its no good hanging out for Toddy boy delaying his decision "til da end of da season" its now or never in my view.
We'll look like dicks if he walks because of another club offering extra cash his way in October 2014. We need also to land a big fish in this year's trading period......those saying we don't are kidding themselves.
Those in the inner scrotum wish offer any insight to where we sit on ol golden stone??

Who started this Goldstein is soft nonsense? He doesn't strut around with his chest puffed out as much as Mumford but he's down at ground level getting more clearances, laying more tackles than most ruckmen. Contested marking wise he isn't a natural talent but Dean Cox didn't average one a game until he was 27.
Anyway, I think we'd be mad to trade him. First of all it would be out of line with our list management strategy and might alienate others on our list that will be out of contract next season (Hansen, Bastinac). Secondly it would set us back before 2014 has even started. Goldstein has had a 100 games experience and is crucial to our contested ball winning game. His replacement has played 0 AFL games. 0. Less than 1. He also had more injury problems this year than our gun ruck that managed to play the whole season with barely any assistance.

Ive said before he is soft......he doesnt have a mean bone in his body. But lets keep this to the topic .... If the club has plans to keep him then its fair to say we need to prioritise his extension as quick as possible.

Who started this Goldstein is soft nonsense? He doesn't strut around with his chest puffed out as much as Mumford but he's down at ground level getting more clearances, laying more tackles than most ruckmen. Contested marking wise he isn't a natural talent but Dean Cox didn't average one a game until he was 27.
Anyway, I think we'd be mad to trade him. First of all it would be out of line with our list management strategy and might alienate others on our list that will be out of contract next season (Hansen, Bastinac). Secondly it would set us back before 2014 has even started. Goldstein has had a 100 games experience and is crucial to our contested ball winning game. His replacement has played 0 AFL games. 0. Less than 1. He also had more injury problems this year than our gun ruck that managed to play the whole season with barely any assistance.
Where the extension then?? Why haven't we achieved this if as he is the 1st player who controls the ball.

Where the extension then?? Why haven't we achieved this if as he is the 1st player who controls the ball.
We only got Thompson's yesterday. Maybe we'll see Goldstein's on Monday. I'm not too worried, doesn't come across as a very difficult person.

Every year a bunch of players will be coming out of contract, do not worry about it. Club will handle it in due course.
Im certain the club has raised the issue ..... but why hasn't it been soughted? I mean it would have seen to be the Cherry on top of the cake so to speak.

Im certain the club has raised the issue ..... but why hasn't it been soughted? I mean it would have seen to be the Cherry on top of the cake so to speak.

I am not sure if the club has raised the issue or not, if they haven't then they will do so sometime next year. I am not concerned when they start talking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A valid thread though, we saw with the Hawks and Buddy. Had they traded him last season they'd have got pick one. And I'd suggest still have won the flag.

Am pretty bloody confident North know and have accessed the risk, and will do what they can to get Goldy on board for a couple more seasons.

Board always goes into meltdown with players only having one year left on their contracts, and so far every player has been re-signed with plenty of time to spare.

If he doesn't get another contract it won't be through lack of trying by the club thats for sure. It will be decision by himself that he doesn't want to play for us any longer (which I can't see happening).

Goldstein is literally in the top two ruckmen in the game. He rucks nearly an entire AFL game by himself and wins against his opponent a large majority of the time. Goldstein isn't soft. He's just absolutely ****ed. No other ruck in the AFL matched him for TOG% for the year. The only one who was close was Minson and he was AA. Just wait until Daw/Currie or even Tarrant starts offloading some of his rucking duties. He'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Basically, **** trading him. He's a real success for North's recruiting team.

Goldstein is literally in the top two ruckmen in the game. He rucks nearly an entire AFL game by himself and wins against his opponent a large majority of the time. Goldstein isn't soft. He's just absolutely ******. No other ruck in the AFL matched him for TOG% for the year. The only one who was close was Minson and he was AA. Just wait until Daw/Currie or even Tarrant starts offloading some of his rucking duties. He'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Basically, **** trading him. He's a real success for North's recruiting team.
I really wished we could have gotten a taste of the Golden Currie this year. I wonder how often we'll see it the next.

I really wished we could have gotten a taste of the Golden Currie this year. I wonder how often we'll see it the next.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see it but I can understand why it wasn't done with Currie being inexperienced and our draw being so tough.

Yeah, it would have been nice to see it but I can understand why it wasn't done with Currie being inexperienced and our draw being so tough.
I think Brad Scotts was prepared to but then Currie copped a few injuries and the project was put on the back burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back