Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been Butts harshest critic ....however IMO the last 2 weeks Butts has shown a sureness & confidence to attack the ball & contest ...something I thought beyond him

Good hands, seems to be playing his best footy, finally .....gee, he's a big boy now, a lot bigger than last year ????
This is the most you’ve posted after a game in a long time, did we win?

Actually it is, 12 posts, 2 in the Collingwood loss and 4 Brisbane draw.

So it’s quiet after a loss, small increase after a draw and bang after a win against scrubbers, all guns blazing.

Last edited:

The good.

All played well (but playing witches hats)
Nankervis - Does things that are quite brilliant. Developing into a quality first 22 player. If only he had another 20 to 25 games in his legs.

The Bad

The perfect game to play a few of the kids. Opportunity lost. Is there a plan to play them at all this year.
No Rankine

We play the kids every week. And when we drop someone - it’s usually one of the kids - t bring another me of the kids in

We are still generally the youngest team on the park for most match ups we have

Yes we aren’t playing our 3 draftees from last year - and one or two others - but there are plenty of players running around we still need to get games into

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Harsh, for a depth player he hasn't embarassed himself at all, your expectations for a depth player are unrealistic.

He's perfectly fine for a depth player.

So in terms of KPD players in our squad - we have Murray, Worrell and arguably Curtin soon that would all be in front of him. So he is our 6th best key back. I think for 6th best he isn’t bad at all

A boring 99 point win.

Only real excitement came in the last few minutes was the guys nexr to us urging Reid to get his 15th disposal for a big multi.

He was stuck on 14.......

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
true Crows fans didn't feel safe until the last 5 minutes

I even heard a guy worrying they only needed 13 more when they kicked a goal.

Like his wife, I could not tell if he was joking or not.

In fact I reckon I can only think of one game he's been clearly beaten but can't remember who it was against. Reckon he's mostly held his own admirably and against some monsters as well. Really good depth player developing into a decent player.
Yep is fine as our last KPD depth player. Considering his lack of speed his read of the play and positioning is really pretty good and somewhat offsets that defecciency. Hasn't been exposed too badly that I recall though obviously the speed and slower ball movement is a concern but hey he's our 4th in line KPD you can't have it all.

A boring 99 point win.

Only real excitement came in the last few minutes was the guys nexr to us urging Reid to get his 15th disposal for a big multi.

He was stuck on 14.......

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You don’t happen to sit in a special room at the games do you?

We play the kids every week. And when we drop someone - it’s usually one of the kids - t bring another me of the kids in

We are still generally the youngest team on the park for most match ups we have

Yes we aren’t playing our 3 draftees from last year - and one or two others - but there are plenty of players running around we still need to get games into

So which seniors have we chosen to play in the sanfl due to form?
McHenry this week maybe, all others have been there due to coming back from an injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh, for a depth player he hasn't embarassed himself at all, your expectations for a depth player are unrealistic.

He's perfectly fine for a depth player.
I already alluded to that in my OG post about key position depth players, they are a requirement and they are not going to be the most talented but I still feel they need to have a few strings to their bow, be adaptable and also have some AFL quality traits especially when it comes to athleticism &/or disposal. Still just looking at players picked up in the SSP and those available in the MSD there were options that just fit the more modern height and athleticism profile better.

We’ve seen it first hand with Himmelberg just this year he’s easily the worst footballer pound for pound compared to Borlase and Burgess but being 200cm, semi-agile and being able to play multiple roles he’s a much better fit at being depth at AFL level.

Borlase has performed like I expect most of the under-sized SANFL quality key position defenders would in that role, he’s that level of player. SANFL teams have been littered with these types of players for years just look at the recent past to players comparable to Borlase like an Alex Georgiou, Kory Beard, Max Proud or even a Luke Carey who played for the Crows SANFL team back in the day they were all very good SANFL defenders but that’s all they were that was their level and I certainly feel that’s Borlase’s. SANFL is he & Burgess’ level and they are lucky to be on an AFL list let alone getting AFL games.

Borlase wouldn’t even be on an AFL list if he wasn’t born in Egypt he would be at his level of play - being very good down at Unley for Sturt.

What do posters make of Cook?

skills seem sublime, laconic style player which won't be everyones cup of tea but seems to have something there.
He always looks good when he gets involved in the play. So far he has only managed to get consistent involved in the play against weak teams.

If he can get around the ball often enough he's a worthwhile player.

sorry, poorly worded.

That was an all round game which he did everything you'd want from a KPF.

If you hadn't thought he'd make it, tonight should have you convinced (I've always been a fan, but I thought tonights game was one of his best)

You can tell his form from how often Vader posts in his thread.

skills seem sublime, laconic style player which won't be everyones cup of tea but seems to have something there.
Just doesn't waste the ball.

We need to persist & help him get more of the ball as we will be a better side for it.

Because there was no pressure.
Was there no pressure in the Showdown? Because he had a great game then too and was one of our highest pressure act players on the night. Hitting the scoreboard very frequently now too.

Why do some people on here find it so damn hard to just provide credit to a player in good form, instead of going the negative angle after 99 point win?

For what feels like years and years, we've been a mostly unskilled side by foot which has had a few decent users that we try to funnel the ball to. But now, finally, it feels like most of our side is good by foot, and so the few bad kicks in the side really stand out. Laird, Berry and O'Brien in particular, and to a lesser extent Keays. All four of them contribute something to the side, but often let us down by foot when it really matters.

Give me someone who doesn’t panic with good skills and can kick goals.
At times he was the only one in the square, people need to stop looking at his disposal count.
We’ve got enough honest triers with poor skill.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back