Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, be glad you get to see the crows on FTA every week, no matter what time it is. In victoria, I only get to see my cats play when they're on FTA or I have to go to the ground, or go to a pub if it's on foxtel. The broadcasting schedule is built around victoria, because if all the FTA games were derby's for the week, not one game showing victorian teams would be shown in victoria.
While I understand the points you're making I don't see how they have anything to do with non Victorian clubs being shut out of stand alone prime time marquee games which are locked in for the same day every year.

While I understand the points you're making I don't see how they have anything to do with non Victorian clubs being shut out of stand alone prime time marquee games which are locked in for the same day every year.

you do realise that the broadcaster is trying to tie it in with the royal childrens hospital appeal (something north has wanted for aver a decade). last time i checked, its victorian based appeal on good friday. it will then generate the best returns for the appeal.
the scheduled start time also reflects this, so that they can still program the night rch concert.

you do realise that the broadcaster is trying to tie it in with the royal childrens hospital appeal (something north has wanted for aver a decade). last time i checked, its victorian based appeal on good friday. it will then generate the best returns for the appeal.
the scheduled start time also reflects this, so that they can still program the night rch concert.
So how does that equate to every other of these games solely controlled by Victorian clubs?
Do children's hospitals or other charity appeals in other states not deserve the AFL's backing?
F***ing navel gazers.

So how does that equate to every other of these games solely controlled by Victorian clubs?
Do children's hospitals or other charity appeals in other states not deserve the AFL's backing?
F***ing navel gazers.
Mate, I'll explain it again. Ch7 have 4 games per week (going to 3.5 games per week next year). Every Adelaide and Port game is shown live in SA, same for WA, NSW and QLD respectively. When a game is played on a friday night, or easter monday that is one of Ch7's games, one of the four sole games shown in Victoria each week. If that was the showdown for example, that means a maximum of 6 victorian teams could be shown (not even live if you look at saturday arvo games) into Victoria for the week out of the 10. Meanwhile, Ch7 has satisfied its requirement to show the SA viewers their team live. This is why Ch7 wants the victorian teams in their productions. Melbourne is the single biggest audience for AFL in the country, and to be frank, most victorians wouldn't want to watch the showdown on a friday night. Ch7 wants the biggest ratings, and so it needs to show the games Victorian audiences want to watch

Mate, I'll explain it again. Ch7 have 4 games per week (going to 3.5 games per week next year). Every Adelaide and Port game is shown live in SA, same for WA, NSW and QLD respectively. When a game is played on a friday night, or easter monday that is one of Ch7's games, one of the four sole games shown in Victoria each week. If that was the showdown for example, that means a maximum of 6 victorian teams could be shown (not even live if you look at saturday arvo games) into Victoria for the week out of the 10. Meanwhile, Ch7 has satisfied its requirement to show the SA viewers their team live. This is why Ch7 wants the victorian teams in their productions. Melbourne is the single biggest audience for AFL in the country, and to be frank, most victorians wouldn't want to watch the showdown on a friday night. Ch7 wants the biggest ratings, and so it needs to show the games Victorian audiences want to watch
Take your point and a bit off topic but outside of Melbourne we can easily attend a lot less games. Eg I get 8 home games and can go to 11 Swans games if I wish. You can choose between multiple games in different timeslots in Melbourne without travelling to a different city. Many of your clubs away games ate local, and I get one at the SCG a year.

Last edited:
Not having a game on Good Friday is a joke.
It would be interesting to see what percentage of our population these days are actually practicing Christians?
The minority IMO.
Most people are atheists.
I Cant believe you said that.Tiger Fans of all people know god is real. Considering Gary GOD Ablett, handed the tigers their arses every time he played against them.

It's been rumored for the past 2 weeks that there will be 2 games on GF, 1 in Melbourne the other interstate.

I'm not sure why WA and SA supporters are cracking it.

It's been rumored for the past 2 weeks that there will be 2 games on GF, 1 in Melbourne the other interstate.

It's their raison d'être

Should just be one game for first few years to build the event

I think Bulldogs versus Carlton would be best suited to build over a few years, other suggestion is StK versus Bulldogs which might also work

It would be interesting to see what percentage of our population these days are actually practicing Christians?
The minority IMO.
Would you be happy to scrap the public holiday?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not go there. Don't know about your clubs but when we have philosophical fights amongst supporters the phone box starts to move around disconcertingly

The minority IMO.
i'd say most normal people practice atheism full time except for when we're about to die or when there's an opportunity to get a day off work

The minority IMO.
As of current data about 13 million Australian's identify themselves as Christian. That would be comfortably over 50% of the population.

Keep in mind people identifying themselves as Christian and who are actively practicing Christians are 2 different things (just cutting off an argument I have been in too many time).

Just thought a little humour might lighten a thread that could get ugly. Didn't work but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back