Expansion Good Friday Football is here!

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes us a better choice than Bulldogs & North? The AFL will want a showcase game, and not a potential one sided game.

But this is a long term project
Blues vs NMFC is perfect
Bulldogs I don't think is sustainable

Bulldogs vs North drew over 47k on a Friday night this year. Carlton would undoubtedly draw a larger crowd but it's not as if we're incapable of drawing solid crowds when the game is on at a good time.

You were both top 4 at the time though and playing good football, the truer test is when one (or both) teams are awful.

It's irrelevant anyway, North and Carlton have been pushing for this game for well over a decade, as opposed to the Dogs (along with everyone else) only chasing it since the desire for change gained momentum 5 or so years ago. Plus the day is big enough for more than one game, Easter weekend really should be the ultimate weekend of football, games from Thursday to Monday with no overlaps required.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFL alive and strong

vfl-logo.jpg

All hail the big vee...

"we are not worthy"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well for years Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond, etc. supporters told the supporters of smaller clubs that we couldn't have a slice of ANZAC Day, Queen's Birthday or Dreamtime at the G and our clubs had to come up with our own ideas. Now that North have and have been pushing Good Friday for years, I'd like to think we'd get some reward for effort.

Dreamtime is different from those, there's still nothing stopping you from coming up with a theme game on any regular Saturday night.

Personally, I think you should get it, but there's a fair chance if you're getting overlooked now in favour of clubs who jumped on the bandwagon late, it's likely your own club's fault. Like maybe you f***ed up the pitch to the AFL or weren't aggressive enough about getting the game, kind of like how Freo were able to pinch a women's league license from West Coast who probably just assumed it was going to be theirs and didn't match the effort Freo made.

There's often not much love lost between North and Dogs supporters, and I'd be happy to get the GF game. But it would be pretty shitty for North to be excluded.

Why, because they have had the most bitch about it

I'd love to see Bulldogs and CFC

I think inerstate clubs posting here are missing the point. This is a genuine Melbourne thing. We've played ANZAC day in Canberra and no reason why interstate clubs couldn't play home games on the day. Maybe Derbies?

It's easy for the AFL and their media cohorts to say that non Victorian clubs have their derbies as their marquee game/s. The problem is that they're rarely a standalone game and rarely given a prime time slot. In effect they're hardly a marquee game at all and only by name if anything.
For at least two years there's not one Friday night game that doesn't involve a Victorian club and non Victorian teams get to host very few, I think the AFL think they should be grateful that they even get one.
The real stand alone marquee games are protected for the benefit of propping up Victorian clubs, there's no good reason that they shouldn't be at least shared across the comp. protect it for long enough and then it's meant to somehow validate that it's some sort of tradition.
Biggest navel gazers in the country in one state.

It's easy for the AFL and their media cohorts to say that non Victorian clubs have their derbies as their marquee game/s. The problem is that they're rarely a standalone game and rarely given a prime time slot. In effect they're hardly a marquee game at all and only by name if anything.
For at least two years there's not one Friday night game that doesn't involve a Victorian club and non Victorian teams get to host very few, I think the AFL think they should be grateful that they even get one.
The real stand alone marquee games are protected for the benefit of propping up Victorian clubs, there's no good reason that they shouldn't be at least shared across the comp. protect it for long enough and then it's meant to somehow validate that it's some sort of tradition.
Biggest navel gazers in the country in one state.

Mate, be glad you get to see the crows on FTA every week, no matter what time it is. In victoria, I only get to see my cats play when they're on FTA or I have to go to the ground, or go to a pub if it's on foxtel. The broadcasting schedule is built around victoria, because if all the FTA games were derby's for the week, not one game showing victorian teams would be shown in victoria.

I think inerstate clubs posting here are missing the point. This is a genuine Melbourne thing. We've played ANZAC day in Canberra and no reason why interstate clubs couldn't play home games on the day. Maybe Derbies?

Every club is an interstate club.

/pedantry

I don't see anything wrong with it being on a rotating basis. No need to lock in the same two teams year on year.

If it's two different teams every year, perhaps they split gate takings or something.

Let's face it, Saints vs Dogs isn't always going to draw a top crowd (should they get the nod in 2017).
Hell, a top 4 club just played another club trying to, if not knock on the door of the top 8, at least get to the end of the driveway, and only 26.5k turned up. Was the weather particularly bad or something?

i don't see why the crowd is even a factor. why don't we just treat the round like we do any other round with a normal fixture occurring on the friday?

america has a full fixture of games on christmas day and thanksgiving and every other holiday because they know that when the shops and bars and restaurants are closed they'll have nothing else to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back