AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that's exactly what Melbourne do. The only real difference is that Melbourne is a lot cleaner coming off half back than Richmond ever were. Which helps set up most of their attack. But their basic game is still chaos ball.

Okay we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this, Melbourne aren't just cleaner across half back, they're cleaner across the whole field than Richmond ever were. They're nowhere near as stylistically reliant on those knock-ons and taps and fugly smash-it-forward-at-all-costs philosophy.

In the high-scoring 70's, norf's 122 pts in the '75 GF is a relatively low highest season score.

But good to see a free-flowing style win. But to do that you need a huge midfield engine, Geelong's currently has too many mile on the clock to do this. Must start building the side from the guts..ball-getters and hard fast runners.

It’s a completely different game to 07-11. We did it without 6-6-6 it’s much easier to score quickly these days. I have a feeling they may review that rule in the off-season.
Kudos to the Dee’s, Played a brilliant season and timed their run to perfection. Came alive in the finals like Tigers in 17.
Definitely puts our prelim loss into perspective.
Hard to believe they're the same team who lost to teams like pies and crows and drew with hawks.

Amazing team but not close to Cats 07 imo
In that year we had about 6 to 10 players (at least) who could run through the midfield if required. That's what made us the best of that era and I think better than any of the more recent premiers except maybe possibly *gritted teeth* that Glenferrie mob at their three-peat peak :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:
Okay we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this, Melbourne aren't just cleaner across half back, they're cleaner across the whole field than Richmond ever were. They're nowhere near as stylistically reliant on those knock-ons and taps and fugly smash-it-forward-at-all-costs philosophy.

Then again, not sure Richmond would fall away like the Bulldogs did if they had a 3 goal lead in third quarter.
You can see guys like Martin, Houli, Cotchin, Grimes and Edwards digging in deep to sway the momentum.

It certainly changed hands throughout the game. Early on I'd say it was with Salem, then Bont and finally Petracca.
I would have had Daniel ahead of Bont

They were rebuilding for a long time and went through multiple successive rebuilds before getting it right. It's paid off in the end, but you wouldn't want to be in the wilderness for as long as they were. What everyone should take note of is the success post-Roos appointment. That's where they started building from. Shows that when you put the right people in the right places you can turn things around.

Post Watts, Trengove, Toumpas, Scully, etc. they started doing better out of the draft - Salem, Petracca, Brayshaw, Neale-Bullen, Oliver, Fritsch, Spargo... As much as they blew 2008-2012 at the draft, they really cleaned up 2013-2017, and that's where they built much of their core group.
Good call, I was reviewing the Demons history recently and how bad they were for so long, lest we forget Colin Silvia.
A long time down the bottom for nothing. Contrast that to the Cats, 98-99, 2001-2003. Or even the dogs 11-14. It takes good people off field I don’t want to see any team follow the long term Demons ‘method’, it is not something to ‘take note of’ as a previous poster with a short memory said.

Not far away mate...they need to win it again though. A class outfit this demon side.....

Again, great team but not as good as Cats 07.

17-4-1 with a 130.8%. 1888 for and 1443 against.

18-4 with a 152.8%. 2542 for and 1664 against.

Won QF by 33, PF by 83 and GF by 78. Total of 194 winning margin.

Won QF by 104, PF by 5 and GF by 119 (record). Total of 228 winning margin.

10 game win streak vs 15 game win streak.

7 AA vs 9.

We were all-time dominant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 2007, 163 was not our best for the season?
Seems unbelievable to me, but CBF looking it up.
Not quite, though it was our second highest score with our 3rd highest being 162 points in round 2

Our highest score came when we beat Richmond in round 6 by that small 157 point margin - scored 222 that night

Surely we never forget the famous 35 goals v Richmond. I think it’s easy to forget but Geelong were on another planet

Forget, no.
Just needed prompting my memory through the fog of GF envy.
and glum cos dislike Melbum intensely.
Long live 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back