Gun control in America

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear that gun sales are up 60%.

If cops won't protect you then the 2A will.

This was happening before the peak of the virus hit, back when people were going full on wrestlemania over toilet paper...

Saw plenty of people posting on social media with their guns saying things like "Stock up for us libtards, me and my 2A will be coming to your person store soon!"

Lovely people, lovely culture.

So what is the general relation between guns in America vs guns in Switzerland? I know whenever Australia is given as an example its labeled as the ratio of guns to person is too different.

But in Switzerland they share a similar ratio but a significant difference in gun violence...

Is that something to do with Americans society issues and can that be fixed?
Homogeneous society?
Compulsory military service and the responsible firearms training that it brings? I'm not pro-military service by any means (no way I could take that kind of disciplined life) but that as a factor stands out to me.
Pretty much, the studies back that up from what I have been told. Shared values, shared understanding, dominant mono culture.

So having lived in both Switzerland and the US I can say a few things:

1) So much of this is cultural. The attitude towards guns is completely different in Switzerland. They are largely thought of as a necessity for the men who served a mundane but mandatory army service. The American attitude, well, as well all know is very difference. Unfortunately though when things are cultural it can be harder to change simply through laws, but then again some laws are stricter in Switzerland, e.g. carrying laws and ammunition storage

2) Yes, a huge connection with national service. Used to see young men on the train Friday night assault rifles in hand. If I saw that here in the US i'd be pretty terrified. In Switzerland it never seemed like a big deal. (Also used to see it in Israel...) The military service in Switzerland often acts like a civil service, helping out with natural disasters or Covid... a bit like the National Guard. It's also viewed as a huge waste of time by many, but they continuously vote to keep it.

3) Compared with Australia though, Switzerland has loads of guns. Massive gun shops on main street I'd walk past. Never thought much of it.

4) Culturally, Switzerland isn't as uniform as people think. Multiple state languages plus a huge immigrant population of about 25%, which is similar to Australia and, I believe the highest in Europe. Culturally the number is a little inflated with lots of "cultural Swiss" that are technically French/German/Italian immigrants, but still, it's a fairly diverse country.

5) BUT, perhaps most of all, Switzerland is actually not that great with respect to gun violence. It's the second worst in Europe behind Finland (which I know nothing about... high suicide rates I think). Sure, it's well off the US which is hanging pretty with some pretty dodgy South American countries, but I don't think any country should look at US gun violence and say "wow, we're beating the States!". Switzerland would do well to reduce its gun useage.

1592343319148.png

Is there a percentage breakdown for Switzerlands shootings? You mentioned most of them are suicides, which would make sense since a gun is usually seen as a quick option.

Edit:
In 2016, there were 187 attempted and 45 completed homicides, for a homicide rate of 0.50 per 100,000 population, givingSwitzerland one of the lowest homicide ratesin the world.

That's not bad for a year...

Yep: same page

Basically in countries you'd consider safer the gun violence largely comes from suicide. In Switzerland suicide is ~ 18 times more likely than homocide, but this factor is less than 2 for the US.

Not sure how well I'd trust all of these data though, particularly the suicide rates up at the top of the list - they look a tad small.

But I mean a gunshot is the easiest form of suicide. Take that away and less suicides will happen which I think we can all agree would be a nice thing.

The other point I'd probably want to add to my previous post comparing the US vs Switzerland is that crime, and in this case gun crime, is often connected with poverty, with the US has in spades. 1592343637220.png

If they focused their efforts on their poverty they'd find their guns and drug issues would start to sort themselves out, but they have the boot strap mentality hardwired in and now the people have had enough. I dont see the protests stopping anytime soon and all itll take is enough people deciding their second amendment should be put to the test for a civil war to break out. Even a small one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back