Unofficial Preview GWP Eagles Vs Freo Swans - Round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, we were once the best in the business at trading, it's our turn to be not so much. That's the cycle of the comp.

I don't think there's any shame in it but there's also nothing wrong with venting frustration about it as fans and hoping the club addresses it.

historically we have been awful at bringing in crap from other clubs, then had a great run

ebbs and flows,

I mean, in fairness we did target Moore, which if it came off would of been a master stroke.

I think we are struggling more to attract talent rather than identifying talent. We just grabbing who we can at the moment, and for whatever reason the guys we are grabbing aren't showing much.

You would think senior blokes playing for their careers would put more on the line, a bit like Greenwood, but there's a lot to be desired from their performances.

Do you sign guys like Lewis Taylor to 3 year deals if they're just "that'll do" recruits though?

And don't forget Beatson's comment about how they liked Clarke in his draft year and had been tracking him ever since.

McInerney still can’t get back in. Seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. Not good signs.

Agree he has fallen down the pecking order but I wouldn't be too concerned. He is signed until 2022, so has got plenty of time to work on his game in the twos. I also think there's a lot to be said about being named in round 1. That means Horse went into the start of the season with full faith in McInerney. That faith won't be diminished just because he's hit his first speed-bump in his development.

I think we can all agree that we expected the to be best 22, especially with our injuries.

Maybe they were all the club could pick up, but they haven't performed near what we wanted.
I think they might have been taken initially as cover for Papley...not sure about both being best 22 given both smalls. Length of deals a bit questionable however I still think Taylor will deliver something for us. The hit had been on our depth, we you could argue they create a bit of that.

McInerney still can’t get back in. Seems to have fallen way down the pecking order. Not good signs.
Is he fit? I reckon we should be seeing more of the basis of the 2021 side play the last 3-4 games so hopefully, we will see him back amongst it then.

Having a dig at someone because they can’t spell or it’s not up to your standards lol

your a pretty cool dude

to be honest I couldn’t give a flying fu** if I don’t spell properly or make sense

I’m a dumb concreter but it doesn’t bother me
No such thing as a dumb concreter Punts.

Do you sign guys like Lewis Taylor to 3 year deals if they're just "that'll do" recruits though?

And don't forget Beatson's comment about how they liked Clarke in his draft year and had been tracking him ever since.
IMO Clarke has been our best recruit in recent years (not good), and he would be a great 28th best player. Nice aerobic capacity, has a crack, and at worst can be a solid tagger.

I don't know what was going on last year? Were desperate, or really chasing Taylor. I'm giving the club the benefit of the doubt, but you wouldn't be far off.

I also think our trading hasn't been bad from an intention point of view. Trying to turn rags into riches, but hasn't paid off. When youre drafting as much as we are, taking Punts on cheap trades is smart.

Just concerned about the three years for Taylor, seems odd.

Don't understand the fear surrounding Ling and McInerney. Both are still kids under 10 games. We've seen their potential and we will be looking forward to seeing them improve over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bizzare that they would rest Mumford when he could probably play 50% game time and have 50 hit outs against us.

Hoping foot is more hb/wing
Horse said he hopes to see him running around up forward. I agree with you, particularly this week he will get the ball in his hands much more as a hb/wing

How many debutantes have we had now? We are obviously trying to pace them and keep the youth to a relative minimum.

Don't mind seeing COR, gotta reward good reserves form.

I think McClean should be in as well, I wonder what the coaches are expecting for him?

Blakey gets a lot of freebies, I wonder how he'll go. Did play well, but it's interesting how little form he needs to show compare his contemporaries
I mentioned in an earlier thread that everything needs to viewed through next season’s lens. This season was over for us weeks ago and, notwithstanding injuries/resting and genuine loss of form, selections of the youngsters and fringe players is about testing them out and seeing what they’ve got to offer. The rebuild continues and, while everyone would obviously prefer to be pushing for finals as a minimum, I’m sure the coaches will be using this opportunity to help fine tune plans for next year.

Bizzare that they would rest Mumford when he could probably play 50% game time and have 50 hit outs against us.
I reckon poor old Mummy is pretty broken....

Wicks & Foot both in the forward line will make a difference. These are not raw kids, they've been working at their games and know their roles well from ample reserves experience. It's taken over half a season but I'm glad to finally see both in the side.

However I still think you do not have such promising 197cm prospects and not play them, especially in a "developing" year.
Wicks taking no chances with his footwear this week.

1597224976383.png

Absolutely, we were once the best in the business at trading, it's our turn to be not so much. That's the cycle of the comp.

I don't think there's any shame in it but there's also nothing wrong with venting frustration about it as fans and hoping the club addresses it.

I'm on board with discussion and like reading posts from different opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them, and can get the frustration about players not working out, but discussion points or reasoned thoughts weren't what I responded to originally.

As Caesar said McInerney is contracted and I just think they are prioritising other players that aren’t and giving them a chance to see if they are worth persevering with.

is mcinnerney playing in the ressies scratch matches?

Don't understand the fear surrounding Ling and McInerney. Both are still kids under 10 games. We've seen their potential and we will be looking forward to seeing them improve over the next few years.

ling resting on these short turnarounds seems logical, no point risking him, I imagine he plays v freo and someone else steps out, maybe stephens again

McInerney hasn’t played since round 5. Not sure how much you can improve playing scratch matches.
Ling managed to get through a few games injury free is a good sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back