GWS and Gold Coast Finals? Where should they Be Played?

Remove this Banner Ad

This league really is amateur hour isn't it? Can there be any other sports league in the world where these debates happen time and again? No because none of them are set up like the AFL. 9 teams sharing 2 home grounds, COLA, father son, dodgy fixturing, priority picks, MCG as permanent GF site despite it being the home ground of 4 clubs, home state finals, bizarre MRP processes, clandestine drug policies, boys club media full of bogans and gutter press etc etc etc etc.

How good would it be if every team had their own home ground, the fixture was fair, one salary cap for all, and you got to host finals at your own ground?

Geelong, GWS, GC everyone should be hosting finals at their home ground but i think the current setup is the best option as the vagaries of the fixture can mean the difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd or whatever.

The only way to fix it is to start again but that won't happen so we are doomed to keep seeing these threads the rest of our wretched lives.

The NRL allowed the Gold Coast Titans to play a home final against the Brisbane Broncos at their Gold Coast stadium in 2009. They then decided to force the Titans to play a 'home' final the following year at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane and completely removed any sense of a home field advantage. Unsurprisingly, the Titans won when they played a home final on the Gold Coast and lost when they played a 'home' final in Brisbane.

The AFL won't make the same mistake. Our home finals will be played at Metricon, regardless of opposition.

Plus its not easy nor convenient for gold coasters to get to gabba. No train line nearby. Little parking.
Look at our attendance last year at gabba home game. Was lowest ever

You did in year 1. Once you start winning, all those passing interest types hop back on board.

You did in year 1. Once you start winning, all those passing interest types hop back on board.
Year 1 different. A lot of our fans used to support lions (look at how the membership if lions dropped same year) so they were used to going up to see lions play. Thats going to be a decade ago minimum by time we play finals

A GC team in finals suddenly has a 20k supporter base. Against a big 4 team or Brisbane, you would need a bigger ground than Metricon. In saying that, there is no chance AFL doesn’t take the hit to grow the game on the GC.

That will change by the time the Suns have a home final. Not that I want them to host at the Gabba, it should be at Metricon.
I saw some signs for a gabba station when i went up for qclash. What line does that join? Must look into it and how it ties in with gold coast line

Gold Coast finals venue. On the newly colonised planet of Regulus IX. It should just about be ready by the time they make the finals.

A GC team in finals suddenly has a 20k supporter base. Against a big 4 team or Brisbane, you would need a bigger ground than Metricon. In saying that, there is no chance AFL doesn’t take the hit to grow the game on the GC.
Plus metricon was increased to 40k with temp seats for comm games. So could do that again

I saw some signs for a gabba station when i went up for qclash. What line does that join? Must look into it and how it ties in with gold coast line
They haven't confirmed it, but from what I've read it will almost certainly be the Beenleigh line. You'd probably have to change at Park Road station if travelling outside of a Pineapple Grapple. I'm sure if they expected a large crowd from the Gold Coast they'd run special services through to the Gabba though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an ODI against Bangladesh scheduled for January 2045 at the Gabba. Thus if tomorrow's sky at dawn glows a scarlet hue and the rooster crows thrice, football shall no longer be played on ye hallowed turf, says Kevin "God's Gift to Grass" Mitchell Jr.

With the recent talks of the whole Geelong Home Final 'crisis', I though how come GWS and Gold Coast have to play Finals at a smaller ground where they could easily play at the SCG in the case of GWS and The GABBA in the case of Gold Coast. I know that Gold Coast haven't been anything close to Finals material but I'm confused with what they would do. Same with GWS, they should consider moving their finals to the SCG to Maximise attendance if they are playing a big club.
What are your thoughts on this?

The AFL has a contract with the MCC to play a certain number of home and away games, meet minimum attendance levels and also meet finals quotas, if the AFL do not meet those quotas there are heavy financial penalties as part of the contract.

All AFL clubs that existed at the time signed off on that 50 year contract, including Geelong.

The GWS are fine where they are same would apply to the Suns. Geelong should be playing at GMHBA if they earn that game. Finishing on top should earn you the right to home ground advantage. End of story. WHY....should Collingwood ,Richmond and whoever else's home ground is the G get an advantage over others. The AFL has no interest in fairness unless it fits with their agenda. The crowd size is irrelevant.

Sure would be. We would have 10k travelling and another 8 QLD.
10,000 travelling? According to the AFL, the most supporters that have ever travelled interstate for a final outside of the Grand Final was around 6,000 Adelaide fans for the 1998 Preliminary Final, I highly doubt Collingwood would suddenly almost double that figure.

Is Giants stadium in NSW?
If no: GWS cannot host any finals there
If yes: Will any people be locked out of attending by venue capacity?
If yes: GWS cannot host the final there
If no: Is there another stadium in NSW which will allow more people to attend?
If yes: GWS should host the final there
If no: GWS should host the final at Giants Stadium

Does this clarify it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back