List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you got your legal eagles ready to challenge McGuire for vested comments against the zoning after he poached Adams and Treloar to the detriment of GWS and all other clubs including WA and SA in terms of timing competitive advantages for Collingwood?

Is GWS an agent for Collingwood?
In english please?

In english please?

Easy.

Eddie has got Treloar and Adams from GWS. He does not want other clubs to do the same. To do that its in Collingwoods and Eddies interest to slap a ban on GWS regarding zoning now after Collingwood has harvested to increase their yield on the harvest.

A ban on GWS zoning increases Collingwood advantage over GWS, over Victorian clubs that have not got players from GWS and other clubs like Freo, West Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast that also have not got players from GWS yet either.

So when Eddie is talking about GWS bans on zoning areas there is a case he is pushing for increased gains for Collingwood regarding vested interests as president and discriminatory against other clubs interacting with GWS later due to any bans pushed through on GWS regarding zones from Collingwood forces.

A ban on GWS zoning inhibits other clubs interacting with GWS regarding trades etc.. to the advantage of Collingwood who wants to increase the benefits of first mover advantage as they anticipate they will move up the ladder and have less collateral and will to deal with GWS to the detriment of other clubs as well as GWS.

Last edited:
Easy.

Eddie has got Treloar and Adams from GWS. He does not want other clubs to do the same. To do that its in Collingwoods and Eddies interest to slap a ban on GWS regarding zoning now.

A ban on GWS zoning increases Collingwood advantage over GWS, over Victorian clubs that have not got players from GWS and other clubs like Freo, West Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast that also have not got players from GWS yet either

Lay off the drugs!

Easy.

Eddie has got Treloar and Adams from GWS. He does not want other clubs to do the same. To do that its in Collingwoods and Eddies interest to slap a ban on GWS regarding zoning now.

A ban on GWS zoning increases Collingwood advantage over GWS, over Victorian clubs that have not got players from GWS and other clubs like Freo, West Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast that also have not got players from GWS yet either

I have no idea what you're talking about, but a range of clubs have benefited from having ex-GWS players on their list.
3 at Collingwood
3 at Melbourne
3 went to Essendon
6 to Carlton
Port, Saints, Dogs, Adelaide, Hawks all picked up players.

And a ban on zoning the Riverina to us, doesn't help Collingwod - it just punishes young kids who are on the edge of being noticed by not giving them the development that would move them fully into the frame.

It's incredibly short sighted, but that's Ed - he doesn't give a f#%k about the future of the game - just his own little slice of it.

Last edited:
Easy.

Sorry mate, your posts are confusing. Look, Eddie is a drop kick, but he isn't calling for any ban on GWS zoning. That would be ridiculous, even for Ed. He, and his Vic club mates want to exclude the Riverina from our area. The fact that there are clubs who haven't lured GWS players onto their list is beside the point. The fact that the Pies, Hawks, Tiges and Blues have picked up some of our players is purely a function of choices made by those clubs, GWS and the players.

Sorry mate, your posts are confusing. Look, Eddie is a drop kick, but he isn't calling for any ban on GWS zoning. That would be ridiculous, even for Ed. He, and his Vic club mates want to exclude the Riverina from our area. The fact that there are clubs who haven't lured GWS players onto their list is beside the point. The fact that the Pies, Hawks, Tiges and Blues have picked up some of our players is purely a function of choices made by those clubs, GWS and the players.

He is , it was on radio in a morning session from vision on AFL360 tonight or on the Couch.

Anyway, I need you guys to win this year as I pick up 17K after winning 8K on you last year versus Carlton in match ups.

Also I will use you guys in another way later in the year for my benefit but I will not reveal how but it will be for mutual benefit. I call it the BL end of season loop hole if experienced people know.

When is the next GWS game in Canberra? Looks like I can go to GWS v Richmond at Manuka as a Richmond supporter incognito later in the season. Beautiful perfect

Also Dan R today said RFC has not been aiming for premierships so I can't follow them atm

Did any of you guys get the $51 on GWS a few weeks back on NSWTAB?

Last edited:
He is , it was on radio in a morning session from vision on AFL360 tonight or on the Couch.

Anyway, I need you guys to win this year as I pick up 17K after winning 8K on you last year versus Carlton in match ups.

Also I will use you guys in another way later in the year for my benefit but I will not reveal how but it will be for mutual benefit. I call it the BL end of season loop hole if experienced people know.

When is the next GWS game in Canberra? Looks like I can go to GWS v Richmond at Manuka as a Richmond supporter incognito later in the season. Beautiful perfect

Also Dan R today said RFC has not been aiming for premierships so I can't follow them atm

Did any of you guys get the $51 on GWS a few weeks back on NSWTAB?
Trust me you can follow RFC. We don't need you here. Our collective heads hurt when you post on our board. Goodbye.

Ok, just not on this board...

Well the trouble is I need you guys to perform to win coin for me.

Also my nephew is supporting GWS supposedly so you need to win for him as well.

If you go far enough It might be in my interest to buy a membership and GF ticket to.

I just need you guys to look after your players, not let them get any unnecessary injuries , get the likes of Patton to pay within his limitations and not do another knee and we should be fine.

If composed heads prevail all should be well for all. I have seen enough crazy stuff occur from those running the RFC club to last a life time.

The important thing is just because a lot of the players are young does not mean they cannot win it like the Baby Bombers and Lions in 2001.

Age is no barrier, if you want it bad enough you can succeed!

Absorb any pressure move on and keep it simple and forge ahead with nothing to fear and who knows what the group can achieve!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he hasn't spent a lot of time in the academy, I don't have a problem with not getting first dibs. Our argument is about the academy not about the geography, if he's only just fronted up at the last minute, I don't see how we can argue it.

If he'd been in the academy as a 13 and 14 year old, went overseas for a couple of years and came back and spent last year and this year in the academy, then I'd be arguing the toss, but a 17yr old who has only been in the academy for a couple of months? Meh, some times you miss 'em.

We haven't put the development into him that we have for a lot of other kids. I'd rather we take them instead.

Yes, agree. It's an academy not a zone, so it should be that we've put work into the kids, and if he's a latecomer (or even was academy earlier but been away for 2 years and just returned) then I have no issues. He's only just popped up on the radar, and he's rocketed up some power ratings, so we'll see through the championships if he stays there. I must admit that I hadn't even moved him into my calculations for this year from the view that he wouldn't be eligible for academy selection.

'But the prevailing view is that the Murray part of the zone will be phased out in the near future, on the grounds that this area is essentially AFL territory, while the Riverina is a region in which there is some competition with the rugby codes.'

I don't really have an issue with this either. Lot's of discussion here and on the main board, but I honestly believe that it should be about tapping new and endangered (i.e. in a tussle with rugby league/union) areas. Riverina is not homogenous, as Ellie's earlier post pointed out. Disagree with Tony Shepherd's sentiment about the border - understand his principle but there's still talent to be tapped elsewhere - and happy enough to concentrate on areas further away from the border and at risk to NRL etc. Having said that, I hope that AFL takes over managing academy-type programs in the Murray area. All the BF dweebs keep saying the Murray is AFL heartland, but the statistics don't lie that the academy has helped develop a lot of talent that hasn't been forthcoming for about 2 decades from just north of the border.

But, once again, AFL House has made a dog's breakfast of a policy. When they allowed/started the academy programs several years ago, they either knew that the Riverina was a higher starting point and would do well for GWS or they thought it wasn't and wanted GWS investment. So either they knew this argument was coming and ignored it, or they were incompetent and now saving face by kowtowing to Eddie Mc*stick.

Be interesting to see how they phase out the area if that is the result - GWS would have put significant resources into kids who would have been next year's & the year after draft crop - does the club lose on its investment or retain it? Either way, we'll move forward, but given that 3 of 4 of next year's highest ranking draft crop (Brander, Paech & Richards but not Jack Powell) would all be in that Murray exclusion zone, it might change our draft strategy this year.

Last edited:
Really hoping we pick up Mutch after reading this:

Broken Hill youngster Kobe Mutch is set to fly the flag for the Silver City at the Under 16 AFL National Championships.

The North Bulldogs junior, now living and playing in Gol Gol, has been selected for the U16 NSW/ACT Rams side for the nine-day tournament which begins today on the Gold Coast.

GWS Academy Development coach Dale Tonkin has watched Kobe progress through the underage program over the past few years.

“He has a strong skill set and foundation of tools which gives him the ability to play in a variety of positions,” Tonkin said.

Kobe attends GSW Academy training sessions in Broken Hill on a fortnightly basis, making the 600km round trip from his home base.

https://bdtruth.com.au/main/news/article/6231-Kobe-set-for-Nationals.html

So a kid from the academy that comes from nowhere near the Riverina? Eddie want him too?

I also love how some people are back peddling from "take the Riverina off GWS" and it's now being framed "split the Murray off the Riverina and take that bit back"

They only want the Sudetenland - honest - that's all.

I don't mind the idea of the likes of Albury, Corowa and so on leaving the academy as they have good access to TAC Cup teams. But my main concern is that this ultimately ends (and I'm sure it's the aim) with a death of a thousand cuts for the academies.

- Change the bidding system.
- Require documented contact.
- Remove individual players.
- Remove small areas.
- Remove ever larger areas.
- Abolish completely.

How effected would the Giants really be by the removal of towns near the NSW-VIC and NSW-SA borders while still maintaining the Riverina region? Let's look at the last three years:

KEEP:
#7 Jacob Hopper - Leeton-Whitten (Riverina)
KEEP: #13 Matthew Kennedy - Colingullie-Ashmont-Kapooka (Riverina)
KEEP: #16 Harrison Himmelberg - Mangoplah-CUE (Riverina)
KEEP: #41 Matthew Flynn - Narrandera (Riverina)

KEEP:
#24 Jack Steele - Belconnen (ACT)
LOSE: #85 Jeremy Finlayson - Culcairn (Hume)

KEEP:
#97 Jake Barrett - Temora (Farrer)

There's a possibility the AFL will rule Hume to be a part of the Riverina region which would mean GWS wouldn't have lost any academy players under the proposed changes. What about Macreadie and co. this year?

LOSE:
Harrison Macreadie - Henty (Hume)
LOSE: Kobe Mutch - Gol Gol (Millewa)
LOSE: Will Setterfield - Albury (Ovens & Murray)
LOSE: Zach Sproule - Albury (Ovens & Murray)

As you can see, this year will be a very different story...

How effected would the Giants really be by the removal of towns near the NSW-VIC and NSW-SA borders while still maintaining the Riverina region? Let's look at the last three years:

KEEP:
#7 Jacob Hopper - Leeton-Whitten (Riverina)
KEEP: #13 Matthew Kennedy - Colingullie-Ashmont-Kapooka (Riverina)
KEEP: #16 Harrison Himmelberg - Mangoplah-CUE (Riverina)
KEEP: #41 Matthew Flynn - Narrandera (Riverina)

KEEP:
#24 Jack Steele - Belconnen (ACT)
LOSE: #85 Jeremy Finlayson - Culcairn (Hume)

KEEP:
#97 Jake Barrett - Temora (Farrer)

There's a possibility the AFL will rule Hume to be a part of the Riverina region which would mean GWS wouldn't have lost any academy players under the proposed changes. What about Macreadie and co. this year?

LOSE:
Harrison Macreadie - Henty (Hume)
LOSE: Kobe Mutch - Gol Gol (Millewa)
LOSE: Will Setterfield - Albury (Ovens & Murray)
LOSE: Zach Sproule - Albury (Ovens & Murray)

As you can see, this year will be a very different story...

Depends. Mutch joined the academy in Broken Hill and travelled there to train. Finlayson finished up playing for the Sydney Hills Eagles. I doubt Hume would be part of any changes unless the whole Riverina, including up through Wagga, is all removed in which case the whole non-Jack Steele list might as well be snipped.

7 + 1-non GWS Academy players to watch in division two champs (from Callum Twomey)

NSW/ACT RAMS

Comments by NSW/ACT talent manager Darren Denneman

Harry Perryman
184cm/75kg
19/12/98
Midfielder
Collingullie-GP/GWS academy
"Harry predominantly played as a defender as a junior so has always seen the game in front of him, but he's moved into the midfield and has been a revelation in that role given he reads the game so well. He's been exposed to a lot of senior footy through Collingullie and he's moved from playing as a permanent back pocket into a midfield/forward role this year. He's a good user, a smart kid and doesn't get stressed by too much."

Kobe Mutch
184cm/79kg
18/3/98
Midfielder
Gol Gol/Bendigo Pioneers/GWS academy
"Kobe looks like he's really grown in his physical and athletic ability. He looked really balanced at our recent camp when the ball was moving up and down the ground. He's a ball magnet who can use both feet, and he impacts the game through multiple possessions. He played championships last year but is more mature about his role this year and how he sees himself performing among the group."

Will Setterfield
190cm/80kg
5/2/98
Midfielder
Albury/Sandringham Dragons/GWS academy
"Will looks like he's really matured physically. He's a poised, great utility type of player who can be used in a number of positions. He presents himself as that modern day draftee at his size and shape. He had a bit of concussion a couple of weeks ago but has been given the all-clear by medical staff and we're really excited that hopefully Will can have a good run at it this year given his injury history."

Harrison Macreadie
196cm/89kg
11/4/98
Tall defender
Henty/GWS academy
"Sometimes you can be guilty of throwing around talented players too much, and it can be detrimental to them. We'd like to use Harrison as a midfielder or defender, but he can certainly play anywhere with his size and shape. He's relocated to western Sydney at the start of the year so he's adjusted really well and he's getting bigger and stronger. We hope he can continue his good from his 17th year into his draft year."

Zach Sproule
197cm/84kg
12/5/98
Tall forward/defender
Albury/Murray Bushrangers/GWS academy
"Zach will predominantly play as a forward although he can be used as a tall defender. We've seen him as a lead-up forward who can burn his opponent by moving him around a lot and that's what Zach does. He's very committed to the program, both for the Bushrangers and NSW/ACT. He's really come a long way and is a ripping kid."

Max Lynch
200cm/96kg
12/9/98
Ruckman
"With a soccer background, Max has only been playing AFL for the past couple of years. With his size and shape he gets around really well and predominantly gets used as a ruckman. He may spend some time forward as well, which would be really important for Max's development. For someone to grasp the game as quickly as he has and to get to this level is a real credit to him."

Charlie Spargo
175cm/75kg
25/11/99
Midfielder/forward
"Charlie is at Melbourne Grammar on a scholarship and plays with the Murray Bushrangers, and like a lot of players he has come through the system from a very young age. He's draft eligible in 2017. As a midfielder he's a ball magnet. He's an inside/outside player who uses the ball well and probably has one of the best footy brains in terms of understanding the game and knowing how to play it. He's the son of former North Melbourne and Brisbane player Paul Spargo."

Todd Marshall
198cm/87kg
8/10/98
Tall forward
Deniliquin Rams/Murray Bushrangers/excluded from GWS academy consideration
"Todd is a late developer. We had him listed on our database from four years ago so he was invited to the under-13s and 14s talent programs but he had cricket commitments that he was concentrating on. He's really stepped up this year. He presents as a modern forward who really attacks and jumps at the contest. He probably needs to put a bit of size on, but he pushes hard at the contest as a deep forward."
So, Macreadie appears a certainty for drafting, will be bid quite high (depending on what happens for rest of the year). Zach Sproule would have seemed a certainty earlier in the year, but is slipping in the draft rankings. Perhaps in the Tommo mould a bit i.e. mobile lead up forward, although a bit taller? If Tommo and/or Stewart decide to leave, I would think he's a big chance still.

Then there's 3 highly rated mids: Setterfield and Mutch who have been highly rated for a long time & Perryman who has done a Matt Kennedy & come from the clouds into first round contention just in the last month. Not sure we take all 3, certainly expect 1 and maybe 2. Probably depends on whether we lose any mids looking for opportunity (WHE, Ahern?).

Todd Marshall's been excluded from GWS academy selection. Max Lynch is another who's a recent latecomer to AFL - although surely that's got to be seen as vindication of an academy setup (presuming he's actually been involved)? Not sure how likely he is, not really high on draft rankings and with GWS taking Matt Flynn last year, can he play another role? Rookie possibility?

Charlie Spargo a very likely 2017 candidate - if the Riverina-Murray academy area doesn't change - a quality small forward that GWS has been looking for.

I still advocate only 3 maybe 4 (depending on how many current players want to leave) draftees this year, so plenty of choices. Though, if AFL decides to cut areas out of the academy zone, we might look to take more this year and make a harsh call on some current players not in the long term plans. But let's see how they all go in the upcoming championships.

Last edited:
I'm probably one of the few GWS supporters who believe the Giants have an unfair advantage with the Riverina zone . The AFL should create a Riverina TAC cup side that competes in the normal Vic under 18 comp. We should have an academy that includes Canberra and western Sydney. One first round academy player per year is still a great advantage.

I'm probably one of the few GWS supporters who believe the Giants have an unfair advantage with the Riverina zone . The AFL should create a Riverina TAC cup side that competes in the normal Vic under 18 comp. We should have an academy that includes Canberra and western Sydney. One first round academy player per year is still a great advantage.

I kind of agree with this, provided the AFL step in and continue to manage a Riverina academy (a stand alone TAC cup team is a great idea). The problem has never been players coming out of the Riverina - as recently as Hawthorn (Suckling and Bruest) - the issue has been identifying that talent and providing a clear pathway. I think an AFL-led academy continues to grow the game in those areas and strengthens AFL in NSW. That then pushes GWS to invest more in the places where Aussie rules probably breaks even with rugby league (the Riverina) to places where its clearly losing (Western Sydney, Central NSW and further north to Dubbo and Bourke). I would just get so excited if we drafted a kid from Penrith who had spent 6 years in our Academy, or a kid from Bourke who GWS supported all the way through (maybe through boarding school in Sydney) - I think that's a true victory (our very own Isaac Heeney).

The issues I see are:

• Where would the Zone start and end? Parts of the Riverina are v close to Canberra. The border would be very very difficult to draw.
  • What happens to the players we have put years of money in to? Macreadie and Spargo eg have been in the system for a long time, and for the AFL to say "sorry you cant have these guys" would be pretty messy. I think you decide on the zone, phase the Riverina team in to the TAC cup, and the AFL takes over the GWS academy ops in the region over the next few years.
Im sure there are more issues, and that this is probably a pretty turncoat opinion, but I feel if managed properly us losing the Riverina wont really be that big of a deal, and will allow us to redeploy assets into areas of NSW where it can make a real difference.

We never said it was fair.

Just unjust we should lose it. Its a way of balancing the scales so to speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back