Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the same query.

I just remember reading it in an article a couple of weeks ago and it's kept popping up in every Bennell or trade article since.

Apparently they still have a lot of leftover Buddy Franklin moneys and they do have a lot of veterans as well.
How do they have leftover money for Franklin?

The salary cap doesn't rollover, you either use it or lose it.

This is the big sticking point.

It would cost a first round draft pick and a good first 22 player.

We don't have enough on our list to afford McCarthy from GWS and Bennell from GC without sacrificing too much.
Not really as the Suns are making the decision to get rid of him they need to take what they can get. They can't exactly say "We don't want you and are going to seek a trade" then turn around and go "Umm, you can stay".

How do they have leftover money for Franklin?

The salary cap doesn't rollover, you either use it or lose it.

Not really sure tbh just trying to justify how they might have the space. As I said, most of their highest paid players will be veterans as well.

Not really as the Suns are making the decision to get rid of him they need to take what they can get. They can't exactly say "We don't want you and are going to seek a trade" then turn around and go "Umm, you can stay".

True but they're justified in asking for as much as they can get, plus it will most likely come down to a bidding war as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very optimistic about what he could achieve here, I'm just pessimistic about our chances of getting him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Fox Sports and a few other news outlet, Harley Bennell (Gold Coast) has been charged with disorderly conduct at a nightclub during the weekend. Appears likely to have played his last game for the Suns.
Harley is only 23, from WA and is a deadset gun- that is when he plays. Any thoughts on whether Freo should consider picking him up?

never, not under any circumstances, why would you put a rotten apple in your fruit bowl?

never, not under any circumstances, why would you put a rotten apple in your fruit bowl?

He's only a rotten apple because he lived with and was mentored by Karmichael Hunt, a man charged with distributing cocaine amongst the rest of the team.

I'll back Johnson, Walters, Hill etc to set him on the straight and narrow.

He's not Sylvia, a guy at the end of his career looking for one last fat paycheck. He's a young guy still desperate to make a career out of this. I actually think he's in a remarkeably similar boat to Walters when Lyon arrived.

Hawks will be keen to get him on the cheap and replace some aging payers but I can see it going the same way as Dale Garlett for him there.

Would think a move back to WA where his mum gets strongly involved with him again would be the best but is RTB going to take that chance given recent experiences with Sylvia and Simpson. One for thing for sure is we will never get a talent like his from the draft with our picks...

He's not Sylvia, a guy at the end of his career looking for one last fat paycheck. He's a young guy still desperate to make a career out of this. I actually think he's in a remarkeably similar boat to Walters when Lyon arrived.
Was thinking the same thing although he does seem a little more inclined to the gangster side of things. Sonny was a bit of a bad boy but he was mainly just lazy.
Still I suspect its the same people denigrating Bennell in this thread as were screaming for us to delist Walters.

I want him/love him and he'd be seriously good for us! but you would have to be very ignorant to think he wouldn't have a negative effect on our culture. Or that we could change his ways!

GC don't want any more youth so we'd have to give up someone like Barlow/Ibbo/Ballantyne + our first pick for him.

I can't see it happening.

Hawks will be keen to get him on the cheap and replace some aging payers but I can see it going the same way as Dale Garlett for him there.

Would think a move back to WA where his mum gets strongly involved with him again would be the best but is RTB going to take that chance given recent experiences with Sylvia and Simpson. One for thing for sure is we will never get a talent like his from the draft with our picks...

I remember Ross saying couple of months ago in a press conf, he would love to have him. The thing about him is that he is a proven quantity compared to Slyvia and Simpson who had to prove themselves.

I want him/love him and he'd be seriously good for us! but you would have to be very ignorant to think he wouldn't have a negative effect on our culture. Or that we could change his ways!

GC don't want any more youth so we'd have to give up someone like Barlow/Ibbo/Ballantyne + our first pick for him.

I can't see it happening.
He isn't worth close to that right now. They are openly saying they don't want him anymore. They are gonna have to take unders for him if they want him gone that badly.

Regardless of where he ends up in 2016 I hope everybody plays hardball with the GCS.
With all the gifts and talent the GC got I feel nobody owes the suns anything, they picked a rotten apple and they deserve the suffer a loss for it.
If we or another club can turn him around good, F#@$ the suns, give them nothing.

Was thinking the same thing although he does seem a little more inclined to the gangster side of things. Sonny was a bit of a bad boy but he was mainly just lazy.
Still I suspect its the same people denigrating Bennell in this thread as were screaming for us to delist Walters.

The big similarity between the two is age, and that's why I have faith in us and him to work it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back