Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

1st rounder and a fringe player. Deal done. Get him on the wing, keep hilly magic at half back. Get sunshine up fwd, happy days

Bennell is a future Brownlow winner, when your that good you can overlook little misdemeanours like a drunk night out at the end of the season. Look at Dane Swan he brushes his teeth with cocaine in the morning but the pies don't care because he produces on field. Bondy get the trade done secure our midfield as elite for the next 8 years.

I'd absolutely love him at the club. Yes not squeaky clean but if he reaches his potential he would be worth our first round pick and more.

Not sure what we can offer gold coast but get it done.

He needs to get out of the Gold Coast. Too many opportunities to get in trouble there. He should come home, as the VIC media will hammer him day and night. You can bet Freo wouldn't let Bennell go straight to WCE like with Yeo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't get him then because that's not close.

There is at least 4 or 5 clubs after him. That alone plus the fact that most (hopefully all) teams will have a better first than us means that we would need way more than that.

Any club would give up their first for Bennell. We would need to do a Clarke + our first kind of deal. Or our first rounders for the next two years.

I'm not saying we should do it but that is roughly what it would take.
It all depends on where Bennell is willing to go too as well. If he says 'send me back to WA because I need my family', ta dah..

The egg on our face from Sylvia is still pretty fresh too, just another reason why it won't happen sadly.

At the end of the day, wounded pride is all it cost us. We got Sylvia as a free agent and it didn't work out, but who cares? Same goes for Bennell. No reason not to get him, just don't give up too much in trade for a long shot.

Col Sylvia well known to be an absolute piss-head off field, a frontrunning half-hearter on it. Club gets him. Plays half a dozen average matches and gets delisted for not giving a solitary *, despite being on a million dollar contract.

Harley Bennell racks lines in Tasmania, gets outed for it, then gets into s**t at a nightclub. He's also been getting in strife when he's back in Western Australia. How is someone who is publicly outed like that going to somehow turn it around when a) he has his mates back home to have 'fun' with b) he ends up with a nice, well paying contract at the Dockers and essentially feels no repercussions for his actions? He also goes missing on field and has games where he just sprays kicks and does not enough considering his potential/ability.

Would be absolutely stupid. At least Fev had no mates in Perth and filled a void in the Fremantle team when the club was 'linked' with him. And at least he just gambled and drank piss – not doing speed mid-season.

At the end of the day, wounded pride is all it cost us. We got Sylvia as a free agent and it didn't work out, but who cares? Same goes for Bennell. No reason not to get him, just don't give up too much in trade for a long shot.

Yeah, agree with that. People talking trading 1st round pick and player ... at that price, he can go somewhere else. His talent obviously warrants that sort of trade, but the guys head is in the clouds and over the next few years he's as likely to be a Brownlow medallist as end up de-listed and in rehab or worse.

I'd take him in the right circumstances, but please, he's clearly a bit of mess (as far as elite AFL requirements are concerned) and thinking he'll simply come here and we'll fix him as a matter of fact is fantasy talk. We and many other clubs could help him out a ton and he help us/them of course, but he has to make some tough calls and the track record to this point is that he's not capable of doing that. So keeping it real, he comes here on the relatively cheap (if at all) or he can be somebody else's story.

Iceberg-1024x767.jpg

Who knows how this could work out if he came to Freo? We should have a good look at it. Nothing wrong with the odd "bad boy" like Jack Darling (for instance) who we walked away from.

It all depends on where Bennell is willing to go too as well. If he says 'send me back to WA because I need my family', ta dah..

It would still need to be more than our first and a fringe player as some have said.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.

We'd have to offer something legitimate what that is though I'm not sure. That's why I think we are a long shot to get him. Zac Clarke + ?

Would be absolutely stupid. At least Fev had no mates in Perth and filled a void in the Fremantle team when the club was 'linked' with him. And at least he just gambled and drank piss – not doing speed mid-season.

I'm pretty sure those pics of him racking up lines were during the off-season. The media just didn't get hold of them until a year or so later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back