Recommitted Harry McKay [re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite what you have said in this thread, the fact of the matter remains, Carlton used the PSD to recruit Jack Martin.

We did indeed, AFTER OFFERING A SECOND AND A THIRD. Picks that eventually turned out to be Picks 26 and 44, which is 1091 points (or the equivalent points wise to Pick 16).

We didn't just walk Martin to the PSD, any more than we walked Chris Judd to the PSD.

You keep saying clubs don't screw over other clubs. Well, how many clubs trade the #1 draft pick also?

I haven't once mentioned trading Pick 1. If this bizzaro land hypothetical happens, and McKay accepts a 1.3 million dollar godfather offer from North, who finish last, the price would be a future 1st, and we would also try and wrangle a senior player that wont be around by the time North are competing again.

What he has done at Carlton has no relevance to what he was worth at the trade table when they picked him up

You reckon an uncontracted Jack Martin had shown he was worth a 1st round pick when we drafted him?

Leaving aside we offered a 2nd and 3rd (worth points equal to a late 1st at least), in what world was he worth a 1st rounder?

In what world has jack Martin done anything to justify giving up a 1st round pick for in his time at Carlton?
Agree.

There are Carlton supporters that seem to think Martin is AA quality.

He’s comparable to Jack Higgins in output. Good contributor and a long term best 22 player.

You reckon an uncontracted Jack Martin had shown he was worth a 1st round pick when we drafted him?

Leaving aside we offered a 2nd and 3rd (worth points equal to a late 1st at least), in what world was he worth a 1st rounder?

Didn't have an opinion on that, just said what he has done at Carlton has no relevance to his trade value at the time.

Ok.

So hypothetically if we offered you pick 19 & 20 for McKay you would be cool with it?

Being worth pick 6 and all....
Does 19 and 20 feel fair for the Coleman medal favourite who is 23 years old. A 2nd and 3rd feels fair for a fringe 22 player.

What he has done at Carlton has no relevance to what he was worth at the trade table when they picked him up
He hadn't done anything at GC to deserve it either. Only morons use the argument Carlton went to the PSD after low balling GC when we all know it was those free 1st rounders from the AFL that had the GC get greedy and refuse a reasonable trade because they had too many high draft picks to use anything else.

If you wish to persist with that line of thinking I'll happily bid thee good day, most likely just here to troll.

He hadn't done anything at GC to deserve it either. Only morons use the argument Carlton went to the PSD after low balling GC when we all know it was those free 1st rounders from the AFL that had the GC get greedy and refuse a reasonable trade because they had too many high draft picks to use anything else.

If you wish to persist with that line of thinking I'll happily bid thee good day, most likely just here to troll.

My line of thinking was his form at Carlton has nothing to do with the trade value which is what you were saying

Ok.

So hypothetically if we offered you pick 19 & 20 for McKay you would be cool with it?

Being worth pick 6 and all....

You don’t have two end of first round picks and he’s worth more than 6.

And he isn’t moving to your mob after already spending 5 odd years at a rabble.

I doubt North would walk him to the PSD. Would only happen if Carlton insisted on a first rounder.
Taken 5 years of development into an already 1st round draft pick to get him to this point, he has at least doubled that initial pick value and I'd still tell you to * off.

Pick 1 honestly wouldn't be enough for him right now, only a 30% chance to get a key forward to replace him at his current level and that is 5 years down the track, losing him would cripple any sort of finals push we might have over that period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My line of thinking was his form at Carlton has nothing to do with the trade value which is what you were saying
I thought it was pretty widely accepted his form at the GC was worth a late 2nd at best and it was because of his elite talent that would surely be fulfilled at Carlton we would have to give up a 1st round pick for him. 2 years later, same old jack martin as he was at GC, looks good at times but no where near consistent enough to be worth any more then that.

Taken 5 years of development into an already 1st round draft pick to get him to this point, he has at least doubled that initial pick value and I'd still tell you to fu** off.

Pick 1 honestly wouldn't be enough for him right now, only a 30% chance to get a key forward to replace him at his current level and that is 5 years down the track, losing him would cripple any sort of finals push we might have over that period.
Yeah, he is a gun and worth heaps. But if we could somehow pursuade him to come to North with $ I wouldn't want us to do a fair trade when we dont need to. I'm sure you guys wouldn't do us any favours if the roles were reversed.

Yeah, he is a gun and worth heaps. But if we could somehow pursuade him to come to North with $ I wouldn't want us to do a fair trade when we dont need to. I'm sure you guys wouldn't do us any favours if the roles were reversed.
Mate North would be lucky to attract mason Cox on a million per season. Reality is no one is lining up to play in Tassie or local footy game crows on a Sunday afternoon at 4 35.

Your list is cooked. Think Carlton 2017. Your there. Right there.

Mate North would be lucky to attract mason Cox on a million per season. Reality is no one is lining up to play in Tassie or local footy game crows on a Sunday afternoon at 4 35.

Your list is cooked. Think Carlton 2017. Your there. Right there.
Yawn.
If we want him we'll take him. But dont worry, we'll leave you Mitch McGovern.

Except we did when we brought Judd in and just about every key forward traded has cost big at the trade table, no one intentionally aims to get a player through the PSD.

Any free draft picks from the AFL would be canned basically cancelling out any real gains from obtaining the player for nothing and then the next talented junior that wants out of your club you will end up getting nothing for putting you behind overall.

You don’t have two end of first round picks and he’s worth more than 6.

And he isn’t moving to your mob after already spending 5 odd years at a rabble.
Genuine question (not having a dig), what do you think Harry does if Carlton miss finals by multiple games this year? Say they finish on 9 or 10 wins, do you think that affects his decision at all, or would it largely come down to money? Not that he'd move to North if Carlton's performance were an issue of course..

Except we did when we brought Judd in and just about every key forward traded has cost big at the trade table, no one intentionally aims to get a player through the PSD.

Any free draft picks from the AFL would be canned basically cancelling out any real gains from obtaining the player for nothing and then the next talented junior that wants out of your club you will end up getting nothing for putting you behind overall.
When has a talented junior ever wanted out of our club? But anyway, clubs have stopped playing nice with each other at the trade table. It's the Dodero effect. Last year Melbourne screwed us over Brown, we screwed Collingwood over Stevo, Essendon screwed Carlton over Saad, Carlton screwed GC over Msrtin, Adelaide screwed GWS over Hately, Hawthorn and WB screwed Collingwood over Philips and Trelosr.
If we get the chance, we'll screw you over McKay.

It would be quite upsetting if overpaying for Saad and Williams in salary and at the trade table ends up costing the Blues a generational forward

Reminds me a bit of Josh Kennedy

ah well

Genuine question (not having a dig), what do you think Harry does if Carlton miss finals by multiple games this year? Say they finish on 9 or 10 wins, do you think that affects his decision at all, or would it largely come down to money? Not that he'd move to North if Carlton's performance were an issue of course..
Think he'd think he needs to hit pre season and show more leadership on the track to improve again and help break into finals. Doesn't strike me as a Tom Lynch type to jump ship and bandwagon his way to a few flags. Walsh Weitering and Mckay seem to be the leaders of the club trying to drive success since Cripps has taken a nose dive in form. Would imagine the club would have the 3 of them prioritized over every other player on our list with all players deemed tradable if it means keeping the 3 of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back