Harry Himmelberg [Re-Signed to 2029]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason McCartney has to be close to the worst list manager in the comp. He loves handing out monster long term deals that have the potential to hamstring the club. Himmelberg is simply not good enough to warrant a 6 year deal that takes him through to 33 years old.

Jason McCartney has to be close to the worst list manager in the comp. He loves handing out monster long term deals that have the potential to hamstring the club. Himmelberg is simply not good enough to warrant a 6 year deal that takes him through to 33 years old.
Hamstrung? Our cap is finally going ok and we are playing some of our best footy with players on long term contracts like kelly, Cogs, Greene playing their best footy.

Yeah of course. Still were talking at least 6 years and 800+ to get him to move. He's good, but not that good. Surprised he got 6 years too.

Not sure thats the right move by gws. He's a good, under rated and versatile player but he's not 6x800ish good.
Fair enough.
Im happy with the term, probably had offers for that length from rivals, I dont believe the dollar figure.

Hamstrung? Our cap is finally going ok and we are playing some of our best footy with players on long term contracts like kelly, Cogs, Greene playing their best footy.
After you've had to move on a number of star players over the years. Haynes is another one that's paid an absurd amount for little production. I'm assuming you'll have to salary dump him over the current offseason.

After you've had to move on a number of star players over the years. Haynes is another one that's paid an absurd amount for little production. I'm assuming you'll have to salary dump him over the current offseason.
and we are the most balanced we have been. Ever. The only one Im still gutted over and would be handy now is Jezza and he left due to covid, no other reason.

As for Haynes, its possible. Though he is heavily back ended(so he was being paid unders at the beginning of said contract) and I'm completely against him being moved on. Our culture at the club is great. Dont want to damage that.

Awesome news for the giants, and for Harry.

For them they retain him as a really vital cog in their system.

For Harry, he gets free agency coin and a contract that will see him out until age 33, which is a 1-2 years too long on really big coin in my view.

For me he would have been a decent get for my club, if we saw him as the Riewoldt replacement. I’m not 100% sure he is.
Key forward should be our number one priority.

I think he’s most damaging in the backline and that’s where he will do the most damage for the Giants in the future.

To be fair it could be anywhere from 700K to 900K, for all we know (800K is quoting rival clubs 'estimates'...?). 900K is obviously way too much, one would imagine it'd be closer to 750K which is probably only slight overs. Contracts tend to come with written-in performance clauses that we know nothing of, but happy for everyone to believe only what they can understand from what is written in the media.

Do laugh when Vic clubs miss out on someone and the media is like "They must have paiid him a squillion dollars"

Any player with half a brain is picking GWS over Essendon and doesnt need a million per year to make that choice . 6 years is fine for a player whose had zero injury problems and can play multiple positions too.

GWS also have a very clear space having lost Hopper and Taranto last year so i cant see this imaginary salary cap pressure people want to talk about to make themselves feel better either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like the right deal with so much youth on the squad and he's a 'local guy'.
I think he's worth the cash. 800 to pry him out was always gonna be a lot for other clubs.
I still think he has scope to go forward too.

Good on Himmelberg securing the massive deal. Taylor and Harry taking key forwards with Buckley being able to play on smalls, very good backline.

Do laugh when Vic clubs miss out on someone and the media is like "They must have paiid him a squillion dollars"

Any player with half a brain is picking GWS over Essendon and doesnt need a million per year to make that choice . 6 years is fine for a player whose had zero injury problems and can play multiple positions too.

GWS also have a very clear space having lost Hopper and Taranto last year so i cant see this imaginary salary cap pressure people want to talk about to make themselves feel better either
Sorry that's not just a #VICBIAS thing. Most big signings or re-signings for any club seem to come with some mayo.

Essendon would be a pretty appealing destination IMO. Plenty of so-called experts thought Prestia was making the wrong decision by signing with us in 2016 too. It's a funny game, football.

Sorry that's not just a #VICBIAS thing. Most big signings or re-signings for any club seem to come with some mayo.

Essendon would be a pretty appealing destination IMO. Plenty of so-called experts thought Prestia was making the wrong decision by signing with us in 2016 too. It's a funny game, football.
Sorry no. When Lynch signed with the Tiges we had articles like “did he wait to long to come to the big stage” from Whateley.
Same with Hopper and Taranto.
When stars sign big contracts to go to the Victorian clubs we hear how awesome it is they are on the “big stage” and how the club, a northern club usually, are in trouble for losing them.

When the re-signings happen then it’s all about the coin.

Sorry no. When Lynch signed with the Tiges we had articles like “did he wait to long to come to the big stage” from Whateley.
When stars sign big contracts to go to the Victorian clubs we hear how awesome it is they are on the “big stage” and how the club, a northern club usually, are in trouble for losing them.

It does certainly feel like this is the case.

I don't recall that happening and it doesn't make sense. Lynch left as soon as he became an eligible free agent :think:. Nothing like that was mentioned about Hoper or Taranto either.

Playing at the MCG is a huge draw card for interstate players, especially those from GWS and GC who typically play in front of bugger all crowd. That is just a fact.

Star free agents leaving will always cause those concerns by the media whether it's from a Vic club or not. If Mason Redman had have left Essendon I'm sure the media would've had the same questions. I'm sure they asked the same about Hawks when Buddy left.

Hell of a chip on your shoulder.

I don't recall that happening and it doesn't make sense. Lynch left as soon as he became an eligible free agent :think:. Nothing like that was mentioned about Hoper or Taranto either.
Fine you can not recall it, it did happen though.
Playing at the MCG is a huge draw card for interstate players, especially those from GWS and GC who typically play in front of bugger all crowd. That is just a fact.
which is not the discussion. But the supposed "ÄFL" media and their responses that depend on whether a player is heading out of Victoria, especially the Northern clubs, or if they are heading South.
Star free agents leaving will always cause those concerns by the media whether it's from a Vic club or not. If Mason Redman had have left Essendon I'm sure the media would've had the same questions. I'm sure they asked the same about Hawks when Buddy left.

Not at all.

Hell of a chip on your shoulder.
Not at all. Its obvious how the VFL media react.

Getting Richmond's first round pick this year for Jacob Hopper was a shrewd piece of business by McCartney.

Anyhow other clubs were offering Himmelberg similar coin.

I don't see how this is a bad thing for GWS honestly

Getting Richmond's first round pick this year for Jacob Hopper was a shrewd piece of business by McCartney.

Anyhow other clubs were offering Himmelberg similar coin.

I don't see how this is a bad thing for GWS honestly
Not short term, maybe in 2028 to 2029. But other big contracts will have ended by then.
I am glad he resigned, hoping he plays some time as a forward now

Back