Harry Himmelberg [Re-Signed to 2029]

Does he stay or does he go?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that spending anywhere near 800k to prise him out of GWS is a bad idea.
At 650k over multiple years he is worth it, he rarely misses games and has been a game winner multiple times this year as a swingman. He can be elite in the backline when playing the intercept/rebound distributer role. But paying overs for him is probably a mistake that the Giants have to keep making. I'm hoping he takes the security of years rather than asking for 8-900k.
It's also hard to know with no idea what the future salary cap will look like.

You guys know your list better than I do, but there comes a question when you ask whether the Giants actually really need to be overpaying him as you put it.

Where do they play him?

Clearly the forward mix is preferred at Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman right not and you have both Derkson and Grezewski who I thought both looked good in the 2's game that we played against you last week.

In defence you have Taylor, and Buckley as you 2 major talls with Aleer as backup, and then mediums in Haynes who still has a few years left, Idun too and I thought Fleeton also looked good in your 2's last week.

Is he a player that is disposable for you if it helps for example get you Pick 1 and Harley Reid?

You guys know your list better than I do, but there comes a question when you ask whether the Giants actually really need to be overpaying him as you put it.

Where do they play him?

Clearly the forward mix is preferred at Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman right not and you have both Derkson and Grezewski who I thought both looked good in the 2's game that we played against you last week.

In defence you have Taylor, and Buckley as you 2 major talls with Aleer as backup, and then mediums in Haynes who still has a few years left, Idun too and I thought Fleeton also looked good in your 2's last week.

Is he a player that is disposable for you if it helps for example get you Pick 1 and Harley Reid?

Ideally he takes over from Haynes, play an intercept role on a weaker opponent and utilise his foot skills out of the back half which are elite. But he is still a better fwd than Riccardi and the rest at this point and he can pinch hit in the ruck and do a serviceable job. He is not disposable in the slightest, he is easily in our top 10 players.

He'd be perfect for Richmond as they will say goodbye to Riewoldt and although Ryan shows promise, he's far from a certainty so you need a player like Himmelberg who would be a good foil to Lynch for the next 3-4 years.

Likewise Geelong. Only have Foster and Neale after Hawkins hangs up the boots.

Personally, would like Amartey but he's not going to leave.

He'd be perfect for Richmond as they will say goodbye to Riewoldt and although Ryan shows promise, he's far from a certainty so you need a player like Himmelberg who would be a good foil to Lynch for the next 3-4 years.

Amartey has put contact talks on hold. You know what that normality means

Himmelberg is not a pack crashing kpf like lynch is though hes an ok lead up forward who is really much better as a rebounding defender.

Richmond need a lynch type kpf not himmelberg and geelong dont really need a lead up fwd with henry there.
Id only be chasing him if sav was leaving and we were going to play him as a defender

Himmelberg is not a pack crashing kpf like lynch is though hes an ok lead up forward who is really much better as a rebounding defender.

Richmond need a lynch type kpf not himmelberg and geelong dont really need a lead up fwd with henry there.
Id only be chasing him if sav was leaving and we were going to play him as a defender

I agree but there's no one else of great quality out there at the moment. Harry's not a bum, he's a good ordinary player so would complement a gun forward if need be.

Someone above mentioned Finlayson and it's a good comparison as many did not expect improvement at Port Adelaide.

Ideally he takes over from Haynes, play an intercept role on a weaker opponent and utilise his foot skills out of the back half which are elite. But he is still a better fwd than Riccardi and the rest at this point and he can pinch hit in the ruck and do a serviceable job. He is not disposable in the slightest, he is easily in our top 10 players.

Just my view but I don't think you end up building a premiership list by paying your 3rd talls at either end of the field the mooted $'s. Even if it was $650k-$700k I doubt you'd find any other club in the AFL that would pay that for a 3rd tall at either end of the ground and I was sort of inferring about your depth in key position talent. Clearly the club feels that their best 2 forwards are Cadman and Hogan (rightly so) and down back your best 2 are clearly Taylor and Buckley, so the question comes down to how much of your cap should you be paying to players in those 3rd tall positions.

The reason why his salary elsewhere is what is being touted, is because other clubs want to play him as a 2nd tall and hence the $'s for that role increase, which was kind of my point.

I get that you and the Giants think he's best 22, but sometimes you need to allow best 22 players to leave if you can't afford or justify the cost to keep them in the role you expect them to play.

Its a bit like the Tigers after the 2019 flag, we would have loved to have kept Ellis, but for the $'s he was offered elsewhere we couldn't afford or justify cost for the role he was playing.

In some ways this is why the Giants list is where it is, overpaying for players that don't play key roles, like Haynes, yes he's a very good player but again playing the 3rd tall role and getting paid very well for it, means less money going out to role players that fill in the bottom 6 of the list. I do sympathise in some ways with the Giants as you have had to overpay to keep players and wouldn't be averse to some sort of retention allowance added to your cap with the previso that its controlled and spread across the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my view but I don't think you end up building a premiership list by paying your 3rd talls at either end of the field the mooted $'s. Even if it was $650k-$700k I doubt you'd find any other club in the AFL that would pay that for a 3rd tall at either end of the ground and I was sort of inferring about your depth in key position talent. Clearly the club feels that their best 2 forwards are Cadman and Hogan (rightly so) and down back your best 2 are clearly Taylor and Buckley, so the question comes down to how much of your cap should you be paying to players in those 3rd tall positions.

The reason why his salary elsewhere is what is being touted, is because other clubs want to play him as a 2nd tall and hence the $'s for that role increase, which was kind of my point.

I get that you and the Giants think he's best 22, but sometimes you need to allow best 22 players to leave if you can't afford or justify the cost to keep them in the role you expect them to play.

Its a bit like the Tigers after the 2019 flag, we would have loved to have kept Ellis, but for the $'s he was offered elsewhere we couldn't afford or justify cost for the role he was playing.

In some ways this is why the Giants list is where it is, overpaying for players that don't play key roles, like Haynes, yes he's a very good player but again playing the 3rd tall role and getting paid very well for it, means less money going out to role players that fill in the bottom 6 of the list. I do sympathise in some ways with the Giants as you have had to overpay to keep players and wouldn't be averse to some sort of retention allowance added to your cap with the previso that its controlled and spread across the list.
We rarely get involved in bidding wars. As has been reported he has a 5 year offer in front of him, if he chooses not to accept it then so be it. We offered Zac Williams what he was worth, yet Carlton offered way overs and he took it, we didn't bother trying to match it. It will be the same story here, he can accept our offer or chase bigger $$$ elsewhere, depends on where he wants to be.

Jake Niall reckons Gaints offer is over $700k per year for 5 years. I like Himmelberg as a player but not for the 800+ over 5+ years it's going to take to get him to move.

Jake Niall reckons Gaints offer is over $700k per year for 5 years. I like Himmelberg as a player but not for the 800+ over 5+ years it's going to take to get him to move.

He should take that cash and sign.
Good coin for the player he is.

Nick Haynes salary dump to hawks…
System GIF

Back