Autopsy Hawks beat Geelong by 11 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins kicked ONE on the weekend.

50 goals so far is a bit poor. He should average 3 goals a week, meaning that he should get at least 66 goals.

He was goalless in Round 1 and 2, and isn't in the Top 5 goalkickers in the league most years.

He's missed a couple of games too, and isn't always at full forward.

50 goals so far is a bit poor. He should average 3 goals a week, meaning that he should get at least 66 goals.

He was goalless in Round 1 and 2, and isn't in the Top 5 goalkickers in the league most years.
Is this serious? 50 goals a bit poor, surely you're taking the piss. He's had a huge year.

To be fair I also have a geek on this board every now and again to get the views of some intelligent posters, some in the Scott coaching thread seem very intelligent.
Thanks man for recognising this. It's true. I don't even see it as a compliment to be called very intelligent. I just accept it as a fact now.

Last edited:
The more highlights I see of this game, the more disgusted I am with the umpiring.

Apart from all the bullshit holding calls that they were getting all game yet we got SFA, some of the most crucial moments were dictated by horrible umpiring decisions or in some cases non-decisions.

It's just a fact, regardless of how badly we played.

Agreed they have made this game so difficult to umpire now as well. The dangerous sling tackles, high hits, shirt fronts I can understand why they want that out of the game when the NFL just spat out 1.4billion to every ex player and were still moving.

Just all these new rules below the knees is still cringeworthy. Holding the ball is just a raffle sometimes they pay it to move the ball on. Incorrect disposal.

Camera angles of everything the blocking in a marking contest AFL just does what it wants. This stupid 6-6-6 will come in soon.

I just wish all the ticky Tac Frees could be killed off. A brush over the shoulder and this 50m in the protected zone when players are just literally running past out of play is just horrendous. It's not what the rule was designed for

Rant over

Tom Mitchell literally looked at the umpire and kicked it. HTF is that not 50....... if he ran within 5 meters past him they probably pay it.

he's good enough to be kicking high 70's-80+ a year.

He is if we play to his strengths. We saw in the Melbourne and Brisbane games what he can do when we get the ball in quick so he can contest one out with his direct opponent. How often is he afforded that luxury though?

Agreed they have made this game so difficult to umpire now as well. The dangerous sling tackles, high hits, shirt fronts I can understand why they want that out of the game when the NFL just spat out 1.4billion to every ex player and were still moving.

Just all these new rules below the knees is still cringeworthy. Holding the ball is just a raffle sometimes they pay it to move the ball on. Incorrect disposal.

Camera angles of everything the blocking in a marking contest AFL just does what it wants. This stupid 6-6-6 will come in soon.

I just wish all the ticky Tac Frees could be killed off. A brush over the shoulder and this 50m in the protected zone when players are just literally running past out of play is just horrendous. It's not what the rule was designed for

Rant over

Tom Mitchell literally looked at the umpire and kicked it. HTF is that not 50....... if he ran within 5 meters past him they probably pay it.

I think the most confusing is contact below the knees vs high contact - it seems to be a toss of the coin as to which way the decision will go. Sometimes it seems that if the player going in low for the ball has their head make contact with their opponents lower legs that they will pay high contact, but the same action where its the player going low making contact with their body turned seems to be contact below the knees.

I'd like to see a tweak to that rule that rewards the player going for the ball rather than the player coming in second & making no effort to actually go for the ball but rather just wait for contact because they know they will get a free kick - against the Hawks we saw a free kick paid against Guthrie when he beat one opponent, he was already on the ground and when he dived full stretch to get the ball to a teammate he had a free kick paid against because the seconds Hawks player come in & virtually stand his ground with no attempt at the ball because he was banking on the free kick. Why not a free kick for Guthrie for going for the ball and getting the Hawks players legs to his head - Guthrie's actions weren't dangerous in any sense & he didn't take out the Hawks player, but the guy was rewarded for being second to the ball & making no attempt to play the ball.

As for incorrect disposal - the umpires early seemed to try to not punish us for holding the ball because instead they would call a throw against us if the ball came out in the tackle. I think there was 2 or 3 throwing calls against us in the first 10 minutes of the match, but that same thing when the Hawks player was tackled was called play-on. That is utter frustration because there's no consistency between the calls.

If umpires are going to make s**t calls then fine - but at least be consistent between both teams with the s**t calls.

Last edited:
I think the most confusing is contact below the knees vs high contact - it seems to be a toss of the coin as to which way the decision will go. Sometimes it seems that if the player going in low for the ball has their head make contact with their opponents lower legs that they will pay high contact, but the same action where its the player going low making contact with their body turned seems to be contact below the knees.

I'd like to see a tweak to that rule that rewards the player going for the ball rather than the player coming in second & making no effort to actually go for the ball but rather just wait for contact because they know they will get a free kick - against the Hawks we saw a free kick paid against Guthrie when we beat one opponent, he was already on the ground and when he dived full stretch to get the ball to a teammate he had a free kick paid against because the seconds Hawks player come in & virtually stand his ground with no attempt at the ball because he was banking on the free kick. Why not a free kick for Guthrie for going for the ball and getting the Hawks players legs to his head - Guthrie's actions were dangerous in any sense & he didn't take out the Hawks player, but the guy was rewarded for being second to the ball & making no attempt to play the ball.

As for incorrect disposal - the umpires early seemed to try to not punish us for holding the ball because instead they would call a throw against us if the ball came out in the tackle. I think there was 2 or 3 throwing calls against us in the first 10 minutes of the match, but that same thing when the Hawks player was tackled was called play-on. That is utter frustration because there's no consistency between the calls.

If umpires are going to make s**t calls then fine - but at least be consistent between both teams with the s**t calls.

I 100% agree with everything in this post. I remember watching the Guthrie free kick against it's frustrating because of how good a coach Clarkson is. Because you know the player coming in second has set up.

It's literally like taking a charge in basketball lol. Free kick guys he had the spot feet were set got to pay it.

Incorrect disposal ball gets knocked out that's a throw. Burgoyne does a 360 and releases the ball backwards play on.

The other one I hate watching is when the umpires reward the crowd reaction free kick instant tackle no prior pile on top. And because the bloke on the bottom who is having the pill held to him isn't wiggling around or putting on a rance career best performance. They get into camera position you can tell they are going to pay it holding the ball no genuine attempt lol

Have you watched our team play??? He gets double and triple teamed every week!! We have no other decent marking targets and we move the ball so slow it isn’t funny!! Hawkins is an absolute gun! Watch a Geelong game then please amend your statement!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The board has control of the MC. Get control of the board and you control the MC. Get control of the board by running a ticket at the next AGM, at the end of the season. I do not know how many on the Board, usually about a dozen so you need to control about 8. Get 8 people to run on a ticket which states what your platform is eg: sack Cook, sack Scott etc, and put out leaflets outlining your agenda and attempt to persuade as many as possible of the 50,000 members to vote for your candidates.

What do you think of my new avatar? I get all soft and fuzzy looking at it. But I'm still quite firm on other issues of course.

Perhaps we should get 12 people from BF to run for the GFC Board?

I am sorry for calling you 'allrighty' I thought your avatar was of Monica Belluci, who is my triplet sister.

Now that I've looked closer, I see it is the incredible, illustrious, inimitable Kate Bush! Wuthering Heights being one of my favourite books + songs! Both of which are very swoon-worthy.

I am surprised at your reaction to her though, I thought it would be a firm issue for you.

One thing that really IS soft was the game against Hawthorn. So awful a loss that I have completely forgotten the game + am suffering from psychogenic amnesia.

Although, I do remember Ablett, Dangerfield + Selwood combining for 94 possessions against Hawthorn.

Apparently Billy Brownless was given a cool reception at KP after criticising the Midfield "as lazy during the second quarter of the MCG blockbuster clash while calling the game for Triple M Footy – comments which drew some criticism from coach Chris Scott and star midfielder Patrick Dangerfield, although Scott insisted he was only joking."
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/af...got-a-cool-reception-at-geelong-on-monday/amp

Apparently Billy Brownless was given a cool reception at KP after criticising the Midfield "as lazy during the second quarter of the MCG blockbuster clash while calling the game for Triple M Footy – comments which drew some criticism from coach Chris Scott and star midfielder Patrick Dangerfield, although Scott insisted he was only joking."
https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/af...got-a-cool-reception-at-geelong-on-monday/amp

Whatever we think of Brownless (and I'm a long way from being a fan) it doesn't mean he's wrong.

Whatever we think of Brownless (and I'm a long way from being a fan) it doesn't mean he's wrong.
I think that is the whole point! Brownless is right, but Cook didn't like him saying it.

Calling the midfield "lazy" sounds to me like the many simplistic ravings per game that come through fan frustration. A bit like "you're hopeless (insert name)" or "just kick the bloody thing".

At times yes. But there's footage of how hard our guys ran from contest to contest compared to Hawthorn's guys. It wasn't flattering.

Touched a raw nerve i reckon. They knew he was right.

Perhaps we should get 12 people from BF to run for the GFC Board?

I am sorry for calling you 'allrighty' I thought your avatar was of Monica Belluci, who is my triplet sister.

Now that I've looked closer, I see it is the incredible, illustrious, inimitable Kate Bush! Wuthering Heights being one of my favourite books + songs! Both of which are very swoon-worthy.

I am surprised at your reaction to her though, I thought it would be a firm issue for you.

One thing that really IS soft was the game against Hawthorn. So awful a loss that I have completely forgotten the game + am suffering from psychogenic amnesia.

Although, I do remember Ablett, Dangerfield + Selwood combining for 94 possessions against Hawthorn.
*oh, the next election is next year at the end of the season. I think many would rather whinge than do something, some are not even members (nor am I for that matter).
*Well I'm not really a swooner, but Monica Belluci is on my list of err...talented women I'd like to meet.
*I liked the book and the song, she hotted up the original putting it on the 1985 (The Whole Story) album. Both versions are great but the 85 is better. My sister loved the book as a kid and named our cat Heathcliff, until we discovered it was a girl. The female cat was stuck with Heathcliff forever. meooow
*Fuzzy and firm depending on the time, place and state of mind.
*Peculiar that we were 7 points down and if Tomahawk had kicked that goal 25 metres out, almost dead in front, with momentum and 3 minutes left we probably would have won. Yet we played poorly. The week before if Ablett had steadied and slotted it, we would have beaten Richmond. A few weeks back Harry missed a gettable goal after the siren to lose the game to the Bulldogs. That is three games that we did not "deserve" to win, played poorly yet could easily have won all three and be sitting third on the ladder locked into a top 4 spot, and be looking seriously as flag contenders. Footy is a strange world.

Love Morticia, that is Morticia isn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back