Preview Hawks vs Cats - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Their running off half back needs to be stopped early.

Who's playing on Ablett?
Who's playing on Bartel?
Who's playing on Selwood?

Who will take Buddy?
Who will take Rioli?
Who will take Hodge?

This is going to be an epic match.

P.S. I have a theory - James Podsiadly cannot kick more than 2 goals against quality opposition. Hopefully it proves true.

Lonergan seems to think he will get the job, which would be good for us: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97484/default.aspx

Changa should go with Ablett, Sewell with Selwood and Bartel's match-up depends on where he plays. If he's in the midfield then maybe Birchall or Young who can hurt him the other way. If he plays forward then Gibbo or Stratton who are both good in the air.

We are a really good chance to beat the Cats. And not because we're getting them at a good time, but because we're flying.

Friday night was one of the most red-hot contests I've seen in a while, and we absolutely did not back away. If we can match that with the Cats, we're going to be hard to beat.

Ladson would be a good in.
Gibson could come in too, but i agree with other posters that having a settled back six is key. Two changes could unsettle that a bit.
Doubt Brown is fit, so dont worry about him just yet.

Point of discussion: can Ladson move forward and play the "Muston" role?

In: Gibson, Brown
Out: Muston, Peterson

Guerra Gilham Murphy
Birchall Schoenmakers Stratton

Renouf Sewell Hodge
Bateman Mitchell Lewis

Rioli Franklin Burgoyne
Osborne Roughead Brown

Int: Skipper, Ellis, Young, Gibson

Rick Ladson missed a game at the wrong time and just misses the 22. I think Brown plays forward this week to begin with as he is just back from injury and Murphy/Stratton are playing very well with the addition of Gibson.

Schoenmakers will play if one of Hawkins/Brown play for Geelong this week. Otherwise we may keep Peterson in his place if Cats go short.

We are a really good chance to beat the Cats. And not because we're getting them at a good time, but because we're flying.

Friday night was one of the most red-hot contests I've seen in a while, and we absolutely did not back away. If we can match that with the Cats, we're going to be hard to beat.

Ladson would be a good in.
Gibson could come in too, but i agree with other posters that having a settled back six is key. Two changes could unsettle that a bit.
Doubt Brown is fit, so dont worry about him just yet.

Point of discussion: can Ladson move forward and play the "Muston" role?

Yes, and in my opinion, do it better.

Brown can do all that too and, fitness willing, better IMO. I agree that the role is important, but Muston doesn't have a monopoly on it.

It's a good point you make but the reason I want to keep Muston has more merit than what appears.

Tagging a player is very difficult job which requires a lot of discipline and awareness. If you think anybody can just go tag someone you would be mistaken.

A lot the times you are trying very hard to remained focused as you are going against the very thing you that you started playing football and that is to win the ball. The role of a tagger is to first and foremost stop an opponent and like a cricket outfielder in test match, you can go long periods of time without getting the ball. This makes it very difficult to stay focused, especially up forward.

Tagging in the midfield is can be easier as you are always in the action. If you tag up forward you need eyes in the back of your head. You need additional awareness you don't normally have to tag up forward.

There is no doubt that Campbell Brown has been a better player than Muston. But you would be naive to assume he would logically be a better tagger than Muston. Just because he has played in defence or love the body contact does not make him a very capable forward tagger. Not say he couldn't be but Muston has done in a way which appears few players can.

Like you said we can't just be foolish into thinking one player must have a monopoly on it. If you read my post you will see how I suggested other players who could be used as taggers in midfield should Ellis be dropped. Will certainly need to curtail Geelong as much we will need to attack and outscore them.

Brownie, Gibber and Laddo all potential in's for this match.

I guess Brown will play, he was oh so close for the Dogs match.

I suppose Ladson has gotten over his virus, but they can really knock you around.

Will Gibber play? Used in short bursts in his first BHH match, rested in the last quarter against GC. Has he had enough match time to be considered ready to play a hard, tough game against the premiers?

I'm hoping they will all play, If so, out go Schoey, Muston and Peterson (the obvious ones). Might see Brown and Bateman switch to forward roles. If Gibson is given another week in reserves, I'd keep Peterson in (he had 5 tackles to Muston's 1 against Dogs, 5 marks to 1 too).

Whoever gets in, Hawks will probably have their best side on the park since the second quarter of the 2008 GF (before Croad busted his foot). With others lining up for their gig in the seniors.

It's an unusually nice feeling.

Huge game for us this week, win we got to 6 and will be 2 games clear in the 8. I reckon Ladson might come in for Schoenmakers, Geelong have a small foward line and Schoey wouldn't have an obvious match up.

Cannot fathom people not wanting Gibbo to come in.

He looked the absolute goods in the first few weeks. A classy backman who could just get out of traffic, didn't seem to be put under pressure (which is a big bonus in our very young backline), has played 2 good games for box hill and this coming game is probably the most important of our season thus far. Gibbo should play. People are forgetting not just how good he personally was, but how our team just looked "better" with him there.

For mine, I'd like gibbo in as he is pretty quick, tough and skilled. We can survive without browny another week. Make sure he is fit and firing for the Brissy game, although I really wouldn't mind if he did come in.

I think Brown killed Scarlett in round 2 when we played them. Completely took him out of the contest, so if Brown doesn't play I would really like to see Muston try and take scarlet.

Also, Chapman is far and away geelongs MVP. I reckon bateman or ellis (didn't do too badly on griffen) could go with him, as chappy will alternate from HFF and on the ball. Stop chapman, stop geelong.

in; Gibbo (maybe brown, Maybe laddo)
out; Shoe (maybe musto, maybe peterson)

Cannot fathom people not wanting Gibbo to come in.

He looked the absolute goods in the first few weeks. A classy backman who could just get out of traffic, didn't seem to be put under pressure (which is a big bonus in our very young backline), has played 2 good games for box hill and this coming game is probably the most important of our season thus far. Gibbo should play. People are forgetting not just how good he personally was, but how our team just looked "better" with him there.

For mine, I'd like gibbo in as he is pretty quick, tough and skilled. We can survive without browny another week. Make sure he is fit and firing for the Brissy game, although I really wouldn't mind if he did come in.

I think Brown killed Scarlett in round 2 when we played them. Completely took him out of the contest, so if Brown doesn't play I would really like to see Muston try and take scarlet.

Also, Chapman is far and away geelongs MVP. I reckon bateman or ellis (didn't do too badly on griffen) could go with him, as chappy will alternate from HFF and on the ball. Stop chapman, stop geelong.

in; Gibbo (maybe brown, Maybe laddo)
out; Shoe (maybe musto, maybe peterson)

That is a big big wrap for Gibbo. Not sure I agree with the lot. He is good with the ball. Without it he ain't so good.

That is a big big wrap for Gibbo. Not sure I agree with the lot. He is good with the ball. Without it he ain't so good.

Maybe a bit big upon reflection. But I do really rate him as a player and I think he is pretty good without the ball.

I still reckon we look better with him in the team, and I still don't understand why Brown is considered 'in' by most people here but Gibbo should be given another week...
I thought Gibbo has played more than Brown in the last 2 weeks? PCLs have habits of reoccurring as well as hammies.

Maybe a bit big upon reflection. But I do really rate him as a player and I think he is pretty good without the ball.

I still reckon we look better with him in the team, and I still don't understand why Brown is considered 'in' by most people here but Gibbo should be given another week...
I thought Gibbo has played more than Brown in the last 2 weeks? PCLs have habits of reoccurring as well as hammies.

Brownie is an in becuase of how good he had been playing before he got injured, he basically won the game against richmond for us. Gibbo on the other hand hasnt shown a hell of a lot and he's not exactly needed this week.

Clarko, Changa and i think dunstal have all come out and said Brownie is an automatic selection if his body is right to go, he didnt have as long out as Gibbo did.

im thinking for this week

Shoenmakers out for Brownie
Peterson out for Ladson?
and maybe gibbo in for Muston?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming that they are both fit & ready to go:

Ins Outs
Brown Peterson
Gibbo Muston / Schoey

I thought Schoey was good on Friday Night & Muston was close enough to the mark - both would be a little stiff losing their spot to a guy who hasn't played in 10 weeks; however I am pretty excited to get Gibbo back in & for his defending & rebounding ability.

Brown coming in - loves playing vs the Cats & has played well as a defensive forward against them of late; kicking goals & laying big tackles. I would rather him as a defender, but if we lack forward pressure or are running low on forwards (rotations) then he can swing there for great effect.

Assuming that they are both fit & ready to go:

Ins Outs
Brown Peterson
Gibbo Muston / Schoey

I thought Schoey was good on Friday Night & Muston was close enough to the mark - both would be a little stiff losing their spot to a guy who hasn't played in 10 weeks; however I am pretty excited to get Gibbo back in & for his defending & rebounding ability.

Brown coming in - loves playing vs the Cats & has played well as a defensive forward against them of late; kicking goals & laying big tackles. I would rather him as a defender, but if we lack forward pressure or are running low on forwards (rotations) then he can swing there for great effect.

Agree with all of this.

The small part of my brain that is not engaged in thinking about sex, food or grog is telling me to watch for Cyril to shut Ablett out of the game. Caught him HTB 3 times in round 2 and now Cyril is in good enough form to do some real damage the other way with 15 touches as Ablett wanders deeper back looking for a touch. :thumbsu:

Rumours are Rick Ladson is leaving hospital today. Gibson has had two games in the VFL, so he would be cherry ripe and ready to go. Brown would be 50/50. Only certainty at the moment would be Gibson.

Browny is a hardened defender and has proved more than handy when thrown into the forward mix. He is the obvious choice (way ahead of Muston) to play a negating role in our foward line. I'd use him to negate Josh Hunt, who's raking left foot sets up many Geelong forward thrusts.

Josh Gibson to come in for Shoey who stuffed up too many easy kicks on Friday night when under no pressure whatsoever.

In: Brown, Gibson
Out: Muston, Shoe

Though I'm a fan of Brown in defense I think his frontal pressure will be important against the cats as we're missing Hooper who was great against them last time.

If Gibbo is ready to go then he comes in for Shoe in a heartbeat.

Happy to keep Peterson as he'll do a couple magnificient things to create a goal.

Round 14: Hawthorn Vs Geelong, Saturday July 10th, 2:10PM AEST, MCG

HAWTHORN

B: Brent Guerra, Steven Gilham, Josh Gibson
HB: Campbell Brown, Benjamin Stratton, Grant Birchall
C: Chance Bateman, Shaun Burgoyne, Jordan Lewis
HF: Michael Osborne, Lance Franklin, Brad Sewell
F: Cyril Rioli, Jarryd Roughead, Beau Muston
FOLL: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Liam Shiels
I/C: Wayde Skipper, Xavier Ellis, Clinton Young, Thomas Murphy
EMG: Travis Tuck, Carl Peterson, Ryan Schoenmakers

IN: Josh Gibson, Campbell Brown, Liam Shiels
OUT: Sam Mitchell (Inj.), Ryan Schoenmakers, Carl Peterson

Ladson will probably not get up after the sounds of his weekend.

Shiels has form against the Cats and is as hard as it gets. Would be my logical replacement.

So Stumpy's out :(

Liam Shiels may replace him, but I'd be very tempted so put Travis Tuck in for Sammy. Even though Tucky hasn't has much of pre-season and been injured for much of the year, he hasn't put a foot wrong since coming back to BHH and he's the same kind of "I'll get the ball for you" player.

And yes, sounds like Laddo is going to struggle to be ready for this one.

Out: Schoey, Sammy, Muston/Peterson
In: Gibson, Brown (forward), Tuck/Shiels/WhiteX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back