Preview Hawks vs Cats - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree totally with Pness, i really hope they dont drop Mr. Peterson. He WILL do a couple of magical, creative things. He is geniunely a fantastic mark and has that real X factor, a relative unknown to many defences and will pose real headaches for the Cats i reckon. Also i love his ferociousness at the ball when it is on the ground in a contested situation, he loves it.

I think Brown, if fit, to def. come in. Cats dont get roughed up nearly enough and we saw against the Saints that when things get niggly and they dont get everything their own way they can go to pieces a bit. Brown, for mine, offers that hard, annoying mongrel. I like him at either end but in Scarletts ear and punching him in the back of the head every time he goes near it......would love to see that. Think we have to unsettle them physically, and let them know early on that they wont get it all their own way. Pretty much rd2 but play two first halves this time.

I hate changes for the sake of change but with Mitchell out we have one forced on us. I personally would give J.G another week out for if we play him AND he breaks down we are screwed as the player which makes way for him is likely to be Shoey/Muston which would make us TWO defenders short, Gibson and the guy he replaces, from what was a very settled and in synch back 6 against the Dogs, for possiblly a half or more of footy against the assumed best side in the leauge.....bye bye structures. I'd keep him for the Lions game where IF he went down it may not be so costly and i reckon we will have some sore boys after this game and his fresh legs would be a real asset in Tas. Lots of ifs n buts here i realise.

Out Mitchell
In Brown
(Burgoyne to step up into Sam's shoes)

Outs Mitchell and Shoenmakers
Ins Brown and Gibson

Without Mooney and Hawkins playing the shoe probably won't be needed. Mitch is a loss but we have the midfield depth to cover him. Brown can play back or forward.

Muston to play on Enright, Brown on Scarlett.

Changa to Ablett
Sewell to Chapman when in the middle, Goo if he plays forward
Defensive match ups will be interesting
Murphy on Varcoe
Stratton on Stokes
Gillam on J Pod
Birchall on Burns

heads up to hawks fans in the USA.. ESPN2 is chowing the game at 12:00am (eastern time). So that means this week you can actually watch it on the TV instead of the dreaded internet :) enjoy.

Tuck in for Mitchell (been playing well in the 2's and is in our best 22)

Brown or Gibson in (whoever is fitter but not both)

Out: Mitchell, Muston (sorry he has been good and i appreciate his role, but seriously getting led to the ball by an opoosition defender is ridiclous when ur a forward pocket, attack the pill son when we have it and defend when we dont, he is 2 negative despite 3 lucky goals vs Fletcher)

Shoenmakers or Brown forward to take Mustons role (Shoe more preferably as i can see him as being a really good option and noticed lately that he is quick and knows how to defend so he can take that role.

But it depends on match ups, either Brown or Shoe (jeez the kid can roost a ball, long long kick this kid wish he would pump it like that out of defence sometimes instead of his dinky kicks which miss targets sometimes.

P.S I still have a place for Baeu Dowler (not this week obviously but in the team, am i being ridiculous)?

P.S I still have a place for Baeu Dowler (not this week obviously but in the team, am i being ridiculous)?

in this instance, yes you are...Dowler having no impact at VFL level shows that he doesn't have the desire, will or ability to take it to the next level....in my view...

I had high hopes for the kid after last year but he hasn't come on :(

Am i correct in saying that the last time we won a game with out our Captain was back in 2008 at Tassi againts the Crows?
We still should have the hunger and drive to want to beat these Cats not having our Captain should not change the mindsets..

Brown and Gibson a automatic inclusion i say, I honestly dont see the need for Sheils the only good thing he did last time againts the Cats was try an knock the head of Ling, he really hasnt improved much on last season, but he is a young kid so he must have a chance but not againts the Cats..

Tuck in for Mitchell (been playing well in the 2's and is in our best 22)

Brown or Gibson in (whoever is fitter but not both)

Out: Mitchell, Muston (sorry he has been good and i appreciate his role, but seriously getting led to the ball by an opoosition defender is ridiclous when ur a forward pocket, attack the pill son when we have it and defend when we dont, he is 2 negative despite 3 lucky goals vs Fletcher)

Shoenmakers or Brown forward to take Mustons role (Shoe more preferably as i can see him as being a really good option and noticed lately that he is quick and knows how to defend so he can take that role.

But it depends on match ups, either Brown or Shoe (jeez the kid can roost a ball, long long kick this kid wish he would pump it like that out of defence sometimes instead of his dinky kicks which miss targets sometimes.

Tucky is certainly a forgotten man. He has a big body and that would suit us against Geelong and he can play a genuine inside game to replace Mitchell.

I think it will be Gibson and Brown in for Mitchell and Schoey.

In: the 3 umps who did the Cats and Saints game two Fridays back.
Out: whoever they've probably appointed
Any umpires who can make Geelong players and supporters squeal like they did when the free kick count was only in their favour by two instead of the regulatory 8 to 10 must be doing a great job. If only our games with those flower pressers were umpired like that!

In: Gibson, Brown
Out: Peterson, schoenmakers

Would not surprise me if Osborne was in the mix to get dropped just quietly. I like him alot but its a tough side to hold your spot in at the moment. Who would have thought 8 wks ago our biggest problem would be trying to squeze Brown and Gibbo in:eek::eek: Brown may even play forward against the Cats for his forward line pressure, an area I thought we actually did lack a little in tonight.

I think Ossie is in a little bit of trouble as he seems to have lost a yard or two of pace. Coupled with the fact he's not a natural ball winner more an impact player (albeit not an overly quick one at any stage of his career) he may find it hard to demand a permanent spot in the team in the near future with the return of Brown and Hooper incoming weeks. Age seems to be catching up with him at a rapid rate imo.

Sorry, but ridiculous post. The guy, including his maturity and attitude, is just below an elite player to us in value. Often the barometer of our side, more often the difference between us and other sides.
Can play forward, back, and with his ridiculous marking skills tall as well.
Did I mention tough? That he backs himself to turn matches? Is an assured kick at goal? Is difficult to match up and a nightmare to play on?
Ossie is in danger of a 3 year contract.

Sorry, but ridiculous post. The guy, including his maturity and attitude, is just below an elite player to us in value. Often the barometer of our side, more often the difference between us and other sides.
Did I mention tough? That he backs himself to turn matches? Is an assured kick at goal? Is difficult to match up and a nightmare to play on?

This sums it up, perfectly. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well said :thumbsu: why the **** would Ozzie be dropped???? other clubs would give 2 players to have 1 of him...stupid call :thumbsdown:

I honestly dont see the need for Sheils the only good thing he did last time againts the Cats was try an knock the head of Ling, he really hasnt improved much on last season, but he is a young kid so he must have a chance but not againts the Cats..

My memory of the round 2 game was that Shiels ran and ran. A lot of the times he was the best option and was overlooked just forward of the center. He also impressed with his hardness and skill.

In saying that, I dont see him getting selected for Mitchell.
The area of interest is obvioulsy how they will set up in their forward line. Are we a short defender or two, short?

hahaha what the hell was that call on ozzie! he is always dangerous and vital to our forward line... especially with cyril having midfield spells!

In Gibson and Brown

Out Mitch and Schoenmakers

Gibson's experience and great ball usage will be a vital plus against the cats. And... Schoey is at the moment a horses for courses player.
Browny is always important to have around... More so in the backline tho... he is sooo bloody couragous! His desperate play against the tigers STILL burnt into my memory bank! AWEsome player!

My memory of the round 2 game was that Shiels ran and ran. A lot of the times he was the best option and was overlooked just forward of the center. He also impressed with his hardness and skill.

The area of interest is obvioulsy how they will set up in their forward line. Are we a short defender or two, short?

They will put Ottens up foward with Pods, but i dont see either of them causing us too much problams, last time we played them our defence held strong only reason we lost was because we lost Hoops 1st min of the game and had only 1 ruckman, i think if we are up by 5 goals this time we wont lose..

Mate that is absolutely spot on from the earlier game. He worked really hard to get into space consistently but we failed to use him. Will be a solid player in time.

In: Gibson Brown
Out: Schoenmakers Mitchell

- Shiels turns the ball over too much.
- Someone needs to tell Bateman and Ellis to start kicking the ball long instead of those dinky passes to 50-50 contests.
- Must tag Chapman. I don't know why no-one does this. He is their most important player because he gets the ball a lot and does a lot with it every time. Ablett and Selwood get the ball a lot, but do not always use it. Sometimes they just handball it backwards. Chapman's kicking to position is always perfect and he is a big game player. He was why they won the flag last year and when he is out, Geelong usually have a slump (ie. against the Saints this year).

Very interesting stats peeps...

Despite Geelong being the superteam that they are, Hawthorn have always troubled them in their golden era. The close games over the years are testament to that. But what is interesting, is that we have rarely faced them with a full team. Injuries are part of football and given the hard contest that these two teams provide, it's no suprise we have finished games short on the bench.

Rd 2 - 2010

Osborne and Hooper injured.

Rd 17 - 2009

I believe this is the exception. We were missing around 5 or 6 of our best players though.

Rd 1 - 2009

Sewell & Osborne Injured.

Grand Final - 2008

Young & Croad Injured.

Rd 17 - 2008

Osborne Injured.

Ouch, harsh comments from several people, lucky I dont take things to heart haha!!:eek: All your points are valid mate but my simple one liner has alot more merit to it than what most people might first think.
Im just trying to point that IMO with Brown, Gibson, Taylor, Hooper, Ladson & now Mitchell to come back into this team It will definately become more difficult for him to hold his spot. Granted I rate him a better player than Ladson.

Just looking at it logically:
In - Mitchell, Brown, Gibson, Hooper, Taylor
Out - Schoe, Peterson, Muston, ??(Osborne)???, Skipper

The above also leaves Ladson ?$*@ out of luck sadly. For me, a fit Hooper gets the chocolates over Osborne. The fact that our backline is playing such a strong brand of football it may work against him as it may force Brown to play forward a fair bit. Brown, Hooper, Ladson will not all fit into our forward line and with Cyril playing more through the midfield it makes it near impossible for him to slot in. The fact that these sorts of questions are thrown up is a great thing that when fit we seem to have some pretty decent depth:)

If everyone becomes available soon which is a distinct possibility an "Osborne or Hooper" thread will pop up on here pretty quickly I would think.

Would not surprise me if Osborne was in the mix to get dropped just quietly

You obviously didn't see the chase he gave in the ESSENDON GAME!!!!

Well bugger me he should get a game for life then:D. Dont get me wrong I like the bloke but read my post above and you will see where Im coming from:)

i would be hoping that peterson holds his spot in the side.

Ive seen plenty of the cats over the past few years, and whilst they are pacey going forward, they are kind of slow in defencive aspects of their game. And someone like Peterson running back toward goal could cause havoc with Cyril Rioli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back