Preview Hawks vs Cats - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For mine Gibson and Brown are automatic ins if fit. Sure our backline has been doing a stellar job the last couple of weeks but there's no substitute for strong bodies against a mature side like the cats.

Instead of bringing in a midfielder for Mitchell, I'd move Ellis into the mid rotations. In spite of his frame he's proven himself quite handy around the stoppages, always throws his body in and I actually rate his quick hands better then his dinky kicks.

That leaves one more to be dropped, and whoever it is can count themselves unlucky.

Gut feel is telling me Peterson and Muston stay for the variety they give our attack. Still not convinced every team has a suitable matchup for Muston, particularly Geelong as they don't have one particular designated rebounder, but he's been kicking goals as well so stays in for mine. He can start on Enright, who probably hasn't had to worry about a tag in the last 3 years, and see how things pan out from there.

Likewise Peterson didn't do himself any favours by missing those shots on goal last week but he's dangerous, gets to the right spots, provides a contest and still gets under the radar with his leap. I'd keep him in until Hooper forces him out.

So long story short, Shoenmakers gets the chop. Developing nicely but still not quite there yet with his disposal and decision making under pressure.

IN: Gibson, Brown
OUT: Shoe, Mitchell

Very interesting stats peeps...

Despite Geelong being the superteam that they are, Hawthorn have always troubled them in their golden era. The close games over the years are testament to that. But what is interesting, is that we have rarely faced them with a full team. Injuries are part of football and given the hard contest that these two teams provide, it's no suprise we have finished games short on the bench.

Rd 2 - 2010

Osborne and Hooper injured.

Rd 17 - 2009

I believe this is the exception. We were missing around 5 or 6 of our best players though.

Rd 1 - 2009

Sewell & Osborne Injured.

Grand Final - 2008

Young & Croad Injured.

Rd 17 - 2008

Osborne Injured.

For those objecting to the suggestion that Osborne should be dropped, have you considered the possibility that he should be dropped for his own safety...

I'd be more worried about stupid unnecessary suspensions, to be honest. It's going to be a hard hitting match, because that's the way we play best. The Cats wont back down from it either, so our players need to be clever about it.

I'm gonna be in Penrith for the weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew if they broadcast footy on any of the radio stations up there considering it is deep in RL territory?

If you can get near a TV then it's on LIVE FTA (channel 10)

ABC radio usually go nationwide with Aussie Rules on Saturday afternoon (we get it in Canberra) so I'd imagine you'd get it there as well
Check here later in the week when they've update their broadcast schedule, they still have last weeks up
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/stories/2009/07/22/2632620.htm
I think the frequency you want is 702 on the AM dial - could be wrong
Check this http://www2b.abc.net.au/reception/frequencyfinder/asp/results.asp for more frequency info

Quick edit - AFL.com http://www.afl.com.au/broadcast guide/tabid/9451/default.aspx#locd=NSW - Sydney&round=Round 15 has the game on radio at ABC 702

I am sure that the ins will be brown and gibson and maybe ladson if he is OK, the outs will be Sam. and peterson ( apart from the spectacular he just does'nt do enough ). With sam going out Musto might just hold his spot , otherwise he would be dropped after being slaughtered by Robert Murphy last week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cats-will-gang-up-on-buddy/story-e6frf9jf-1225889356898

Cats to gang up on Buddy

WHILE the footy world marvelled at the one-on-one contest between Brian Lake and Lance Franklin last week, Geelong is unlikely to give the job one-out to its backline star Matthew Scarlett this Saturday.

The Geelong Advertiser reports the Cats will likely rotate the job on the in-form Hawks big man between Tom Lonergan, Harry Taylor who is likely to return from a foot injury and Scarlett.

Lonergan did an impressive job on Franklin when the two sides met in Round 2 before being moved onto Jarryd Roughead when he started to get on top of Taylor.

"Lonergan's been in good form; Harry Taylor, he's probably more likely than not to play, so he'll be a chance and even Matthew Scarlett, it might be a combination of all three," Geelong coach Mark Thompson said of the possible match-up for Franklin this Saturday.

The Cats have preferred to leave Scarlett off the Hawks' two big targets in recent matches, only moving him briefly onto Roughead in the first quarter after he booted two quick goals.

Scarlett admitted that the trio might have to share the load against two forwards he considered among the most dangerous in the game.

"Those two are fantastic quality forwards so hopefully we'll get Harry back in the side, so it'll be me, Harry and Tommy Lonergan, who had another good game (against North Melbourne), but it's another big challenge,'' Scarlett told Cats TV.

Taylor is expected to be named tonight. He had to show club medical staff he was able to kick on the foot he badly cut in the game against St Kilda a fortnight ago at training last night.

Cameron Ling should return, while Brad Ottens is also in contention.

Joel Corey, who returned from a knee injury last week, was generally sore after missing nine games, and has been given extra recovery this week.

Hawthorn will be without captain Sam Mitchell (broken hand), while Rick Ladson is also in doubt after being hospitalised last weekend with gastro.

Defenders Josh Gibson and Campbell Brown are also in the mix.

I am more worried about Harry Taylor returning for the Cats. The bloke is a gun defender, whoever he goes to will have their work cut out, be it Buddy or Rough.

I think this will be our lineup:

FF: Rioli Roughead Brown
HF: Osborne Franklin Burgoyne
C: Young Hodge Bateman
HB: Birchall Stratton Gibson
FB: Guerra Gilham Murphy
Foll: Renouf Sewell Lewis
Inter: Ellis Skipper Muston Peterson

I think this will be our lineup:

FF: Rioli Roughead Brown
HF: Osborne Franklin Burgoyne
C: Young Hodge Bateman
HB: Birchall Stratton Gibson
FB: Guerra Gilham Murphy
Foll: Renouf Sewell Lewis
Inter: Ellis Skipper Muston Peterson

Thats an impressive line-up in anyones language....Arrivederci ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong vs. Hawthorn
B: Josh Hunt - Matthew Scarlett - Tom Lonergan
HB: Corey Enright - Harry Taylor - James Kelly
C: Andrew Mackie - Cameron Ling - Joel Corey
HF: Paul Chapman - James Podsiadly - Gary Ablett
F: Mathew Stokes - Brad Ottens - Travis Varcoe
Foll: Mark Blake - Joel Selwood - Jimmy Bartel
Int : Shannon Byrnes, Darren Milburn, David Wojcinski, Mitch Duncan
Emerg: Simon Hogan, Taylor Hunt, Trent West

In: Cameron Ling, Harry Taylor, Brad Ottens
Out: Simon Hogan, Taylor Hunt, Trent West

Surprised we have only gone with two ruckmen not 3, but other than that the changes are as expected.

I'd be more worried about stupid unnecessary suspensions, to be honest. It's going to be a hard hitting match, because that's the way we play best. The Cats wont back down from it either, so our players need to be clever about it.

Hopefully with taggers having been in the news they will keep an eye on Ling's "tactics".

Sad to see Muston out, but in a way I'm happy. He's been dropped not on form but because we have better in's available. We have some depth finally. Disappointing to lose Mitch, but I like the Ins we have.

Big game for us here, step up lads and give them the beating they deserve. We know we are good enough, let's show it and show this comp we are serious

I knew Ottens was but I thought Taylor & Ling were still a few weeks away.

Great to see Gibbo and Brown back :)

Actually the it was the other way around, Taylor was only going to miss one week, after all it was just a cut on his foot, and ditto Ling with back soreness. Ottens was more uncertain given he has been out for over two months. I thought West might get another game given how good he was on Sunday, but obviously we've decided to keep as much run in the side as we can.

Your ins are good too, should be a cracking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back