Preview Hawks vs Cats - Changes and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you've already made up your mind.

Recognizing Murphy is anything better than a try-hard hack would require you admitting to yourself you're wrong and may not be as erudite in your assessments as you thought. Don't sweat the opinions of others or the match committee; you're free to see whatever you think you see and certainly don't let the enthusiasm of others cause you to doubt yourself.

He'll have a bad game sooner or later, maybe make a crucial error or two. You can then pile on with the rest and claim you were right all along.
Mate, I do not need the backing of anyone to help me sleep at night little guy so off your high horse. I posed the question as I am genuinely curious as to what fellow Hawthorn people think of this. I am new to this BF thing, and am seeking some input from some other than my close Hawthorn mates, and mates whom are supporters of other clubs. I thought that was the whole idea of a forum such as this???
I'll admit to myself I am wrong about him when I don't cringe every time he goes near it. Be more than happy to. Until then I will assess him based on reality, not the romantic perception that you obviously do. 'Trying his hardest', 'doing his best', this is well and good for little leauge. It should NOT call for backslapping and hideous applause that he played 3 games in a row that you could call 'good'.....it should be the bloody norm!
If you see him in our best 22 good for you......I personally do not and would be more than comfortable seeing him forced out by better ins. I am not ridiculing nor belittling him, It is simply what I think.
Good luck with the fan club.

Ladson was an interesting out on Fri.
Many on here guessed/predicted/knew he would be left out.
Listed as 'virus' on HFC which I thought was interesting.
Doubt he will come straight back in.

Whatever the case if our good run with injuries continues it will be very interesting come seasons end.
apparently he was spewing his guts out and sick as a dog, so def was a virus

Mate, I do not need the backing of anyone to help me sleep at night little guy so off your high horse. I posed the question as I am genuinely curious as to what fellow Hawthorn people think of this.
You asked the question, so I answered.;)

Go back and read what you wrote. You couldn't have been more definitive in what you said, leaving no room for for the possibility that the boy could improve. You said yourself that, in your eyes, he'll forever carry the baggage of days past where he was forced to play a role he was unsuited for, no matter how he performs now and in the future. His current form in his current role could be his level. He may even improve. From what you wrote, though, that won't matter; his papers are stamped.

You're right, you shouldn't care what I think, but you asked the question. I'm pointing out that you appear to have made up your mind and appear inflexible to the possibility of improvement. Whether or not you "cringe" is entirely up to you and appears divorced from the boy's actual performance on the field.

PS The fan club is my 12 yo son. He's the one who holds up the "Tom Murphy Fan Club" banner after Tom gave him a signed jumper in his rookie year.

You asked the question, so I answered.;)

Go back and read what you wrote. You couldn't have been more definitive in what you said, leaving no room for for the possibility that the boy could improve. You said yourself that, in your eyes, he'll forever carry the baggage of days past where he was forced to play a role he was unsuited for, no matter how he performs now and in the future. His current form in his current role could be his level. He may even improve. From what you wrote, though, that won't matter; his papers are stamped.

You're right, you shouldn't care what I think, but you asked the question. I'm pointing out that you appear to have made up your mind and appear inflexible to the possibility of improvement. Whether or not you "cringe" is entirely up to you and appears divorced from the boy's actual performance on the field.

PS The fan club is my 12 yo son. He's the one who holds up the "Tom Murphy Fan Club" banner after Tom gave him a signed jumper in his rookie year.
Fair call mate. My mind is made up on him, has been for some time. I don't think he is in our best, haven't for a long time. Would gladly be proven wrong, and have 'stamped' no one's papers as you put it. Was more curious as to what others outside my footy circle think of him. You told me your opinion, thankyou. Your's is no more right nor wrong than mine, and I am not going to state that you are wrong for having a differing view to mine for it is simply one's own opinion, hey?
I do however find it alarming the plaudits Murph receives for 3 'normal by anyone's standard' type games, as stated previously. If his current form in his current role is as good as it gets, then I am even more concerned.
Good on Murphy for giving your little guy a signed jumper, must have made his day, champion's effort.

Petersen stays. Good defensive pressure and unmatchable in the air. You gotta outscore the handbags and Carl keeps everybody honest when he is around.

Musto would be stiff. He was on Murphy at times and was blown away. Who else did we have with the tools to do a job on Murphy? I dont like pure taggers and aside from a few scrappy goals Musto is not giving much the other way. If Brown is good to go, Musto might be nudged out.

Gibbo will come back in. Time to rest Stratton. I thought Stratto looked tired a few times on Friday. Very few first year players are fit enough to run out the season, we will need him later in the year so sit him down now.

Laddo may be a chance for BHH. Bad time to miss a game.

Whoever misses is stiff.

Brown, Laddo and Gibson would all be close to "best 22" players, so ideally I'd like to see them worked back into the side. But, we should not make 3 changes to a winning side.

I'd say Peterson, Shoe, and Muston would be the three under the most pressure. May be good to play them all against the Cats to see how they handle the pressure though.

Whoever misses is stiff.

That exactly the headache our club has wanted and needed all year.

I would like Tuck and Shiels to perform well, to put the pressure on our midfield, particularly Jordan Lewis.

Don;t need Gibson this week.
In
Ladson
Brown
to counter Geelong's team of 10 half forward flankers.

Out
Shoe
Muston

We are almost full strength.
Three possible changes before the finals Taylor in for Renouf and Gibbo for either Laddo or Murph. Peterson has X Factor and stay in unless Hooper gets himself right

If Laddo was ill with a virus and throwing up all week, I wouldn't have thought he'd be physically in good enough shape to keep up with Varcoe, Stokes and Byrnes for a whole day.

We need as many blokes as we can that can run out a whole game, particularly since they have so many good runners.

Bomber identified post match that Ottens and/or Hawkins will be considered. I doubt they'd bring in both and so maybe Hawkins to FF and Pods to CHF. Gilham will get one and maybe Stratts or Schoey the other. Don't think we'll need both Stratts and Schoey and for mine Schoey was poorer this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don;t need Gibson this week.
In
Ladson
Brown
to counter Geelong's team of 10 half forward flankers.

Out
Shoe
Muston

We are almost full strength.
Three possible changes before the finals Taylor in for Renouf and Gibbo for either Laddo or Murph. Peterson has X Factor and stay in unless Hooper gets himself right

bahahahahahaha

Tough call on the changes this week. I think we definitely need Brown because of what he brings to the team. He can also match it physically with Chapman which is vital as he is often their spark up forward. Gibson would be the other to come back in for mine to take Varcoe/Bartel (if/when he pushes forward). If Hawkins and/or Ottens come back in then it would be crazy to drop Schoey as he has is the only decent match-up for them.
So the guys who make way are Musto (didn't do enough vs Dogs to keep his spot) and Peterson (need hard bodied players against the Cats).

Key match-ups are:
Ablett-Changa
Selwood-Sewell
Pods-Gilham with Stratton blocking his space as he did with Hall
Chapman-Brown
Bartel-Gibbo (when playing forward)
Enright-Ossie (must make him accountable)

Should be a cracker! Hopefully the result goes our way this time. We owe them for the last 2 times.

There is no way all of Brown, Gibson and Ladson will be back this week. All are defenders and 3 defenders are not going to be changed/dropped.

Geelong will be playing a small forward line so Murphy definately stays. He is in career best form and is suited to playing on a small/mid oponent.

Peterson should be safe unless brown is going to play forward. I though he was a defender again which is what he should be.

Will be interesting to see what the selectors do - nice problem to have.

In: Brown
Out: Muston

Not because Muston deserves to be dropped - because Clarkson said brown was an "in".

Give gibbo another week. Did he travel to gold coast on the weekend to play for box hill?

For a moment there i thought you must have a crystal ball GH, its tough to pick wins/losses that far in advance. If Sydney gets their best side together they could seriously challenge the Cats, particularly if they are missing their big guns. Ditto the Briz game, if the Lions can get their core group of quality players up and running - ie Brown and Fevola are playing - and Geelong lose key players then there could be an upset there. I would be surprised if the Blues give them much grief, depends on the team selections.

I do agree though that Freo is the wild card, could easily pillow at the post after looking the goods in the first half of the season. Just noticed they have lost Barlow with a broken leg..

I'm confident we will give an understrength Geelong a ruffling next week. No changes is my tip (hope?), Brown and Gibson can have a run at BoxHill. Get them some decent match time before exposing them to the seniors. We lost enough games in the early season with players breaking down in the first half, reducing our rotations, bring them back one at a time... preferably against Brisbane.

Bull! Gibson's had 2 weeks at box he needs to come back and i think Brown doesn't need to go to box hill!

There is no way all of Brown, Gibson and Ladson will be back this week. All are defenders and 3 defenders are not going to be changed/dropped.

Geelong will be playing a small forward line so Murphy definately stays. He is in career best form and is suited to playing on a small/mid oponent.

Peterson should be safe unless brown is going to play forward. I though he was a defender again which is what he should be.

Will be interesting to see what the selectors do - nice problem to have.

Accually it is possible if u take a look!

I agree with your thoughts on Murphy. I do agree with others that he has played very well recently and based on form would keep his spot for the Cats game. But he would not be in our best 22 for finals footy if we had a full list to pick from. Friday's game was the first I didn't get nervous each time he went near the ball. I hope he keeps playing the way he has.

As for Ellis, he is the weakest link in our team. Does very little to impact the contest - dinky kicks, and handballs to a player under pressure too often. I'd dump him for Brown and probably make that the only change for the Cats. I'd give Gibson another weeks in the VFL to condition himself, then come in the following week.

Ladson doesn't deserve to push his way back in yet (in fact, not sure he's in our best 22 either). We have to keep developing Peterson, Shoey and Muston, and games like last night are invaluable for their confidence and learning. Peterson is showing great promise and will command a good defender sooner than later, which adds that additional dimension to our forward line.

In: Brown
Out: Ellis

No Muston's been devoloping for 2 long!

I'm a bit suprised by all the people saying to give Gibson more time but bring Brown straight in.

Brown had a serious knee injury in a PCL and hasn't played a game since, meanwhile Gibson has played two very good games at Box Hill. Do we even know if Brown is fit and up for selection yet?

I'd have no problem with playing both, but if I was worred about changing our settled backline too much, it's Gibson who I'd be bringing in.

IN: Campbell Brown, Joshau Gibson, Rick Ladson
OUT: Ryan Schoenmakers, Beau Muston, Carl Peterson

Can't see Musta being dropped but unfortunately Peterson will be.

In: Brown, Ladson
Out: Shoenmakers, Peterson

They'll give Gibson one more run I think. Need all the pace we can muster against the Kittens which is why I think Shoenmakers will be a definite out.

Can't see Musta being dropped but unfortunately Peterson will be.

In: Brown, Ladson
Out: Shoenmakers, Peterson

They'll give Gibson one more run I think. Need all the pace we can muster against the Kittens which is why I think Shoenmakers will be a definite out.

I agree. Their running off half back needs to be stopped early.

Who's playing on Ablett?
Who's playing on Bartel?
Who's playing on Selwood?

Who will take Buddy?
Who will take Rioli?
Who will take Hodge?

This is going to be an epic match.

P.S. I have a theory - James Podsiadly cannot kick more than 2 goals against quality opposition. Hopefully it proves true.

I'm a bit suprised by all the people saying to give Gibson more time but bring Brown straight in.

Brown had a serious knee injury in a PCL and hasn't played a game since, meanwhile Gibson has played two very good games at Box Hill. Do we even know if Brown is fit and up for selection yet?

I'd have no problem with playing both, but if I was worred about changing our settled backline too much, it's Gibson who I'd be bringing in.

Agreed, Browny's underdone, week in the two's. Games too important to take in players who may be a risk physically - so IMO that rules out Laddo as well. Gibbo named in the best for BHH. One change, Gibbo in for Schoey - barring any injuries/reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back